Merged: Frerotte Likely Gone/Looks Like Carter Is Staying | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Frerotte Likely Gone/Looks Like Carter Is Staying

Mike and Mike in the Morning just said that they are both very, very optomistic that a deal will get done this weekend.

That news, plus the fact that KC is willing to restructure, has things looking up finally.

We will have gone from cap-strapped to FILTHY RICH in free agency if the CBA gets extended this weekend.

84Chambers said:
but what happens if we cannot get brees?
Drew Brees would be just as stupid as Gus and his agent if he does not sign with Miami.

Nublar7 said:
I am not really sure where this $7 million is coming from. I have heard anywhere between $1.5 million - $4.5 million, but this is the first time I heard 7.[/quo

If no CBA extension is agreed too, Frerotte would count for $7 million against the cap because of incentives he had in his contract for going 9-6 as a starter. It would all be applied to the 2006 salary cap since 2007 would be an upcapped year. If the CBA gets extended, I think his cap number would be like 4.5 million since the incentives could be spread out.

I am very happy KC is restructuring and staying. He is natural leader, well respected by his teammates. He is also unselfish and willing to mentor younger players at his position. I really think KC would make a very good coach someday.

From all I heard they did try to restructure Gus' contract. But I heard they were offering backup money. It appears that Saban wants Gus to stick around, but as a backup. In worst case scenario to compete again for teh job. Thank you Gus for your hard work and your competitiveness, good luck in your future endeavors.

finfan54 said:
You ever notice we are interested in everybody? Saban is playing people for fools. I think gus will be gone though, too much money coming to him and this whole CBS deal is making Saban clean house.
First of all, I am pretty sure you mean CBA. Somehow I don't think CBS has any outcome of what happens to our team (except maybe how many nationally televised games).

Second, I think you are wrong. I think Saban had planned on cleaning house EITHER way. I think the CBA gives it a nice PR excuse, but I am pretty sure he was going to gut a lot of the players on this team either way.

3Ply Stagliano said:
Not quite everyone. I mean, that Fiedler guy, whoever he is, doesn't get mentioned much as a possible free agent pickup.

Oh dear.....

:lol:

LarryFinFan said:
I'm glad that Gus appears to be gone, and like you feel that Saban already has a plan for a replacement...but in regards to Madison, Jones, Diamond, etc being released already, my guess is that these moves were planned and would have happened even if a CBA had been agreed on sooner....I read that the players released are still able to be recalled from waivers by the teams because of the extension in the talks, but just don't see those guys back unless it is at a substantially lower cost against the cap...

It is my understanding that the Dolphins waived that right by cutting those players a day earlier than necessary.They are all FAs now.Its a shame because maybe something could have been worked out with Madison.He was willing to play along it seems.

Aqua and Orange said:
THIS NEWS COULDNT BE BETTER! GO SABAN! :dolphins:

Yea, I'm really happy to hear that Carter is staying...Mawae would be a very nice pick up. Very experienced and he could/would be the leader (and example) of the pretty young OL.

KuchaMucha said:
Yea, I'm really happy to hear that Carter is staying...Mawae would be a very nice pick up. Very experienced and he could/would be the leader (and example) of the pretty young OL.

I agree. I'd be pumped to get Mawae. Not as pumped as getting Brees, but he'd be solid for us.

I agree about Mawae's leadership on the line. It's great to have an experienced leader on the line, something we lacked this past year. The fact that Mawae is a Center is a plus too :)

7 million??????

Wow...no wonder why Saban asked Gus to restructure.I'd like to see Gus kept around for insurance/ back-up but for 1-2 million max.

Nublar7 said:
I am not really sure where this $7 million is coming from. I have heard anywhere between $1.5 million - $4.5 million, but this is the first time I heard 7.

my only guess is without the cba the NLTBE incentives in his deal would have driven his cap number that high because it would have been accelerated to count against the 2006 cap. but having said that, we never would have went forward with that contract in place anyway, so he never would have counted 7 mil. with a cba extension, his number would probably be a little more than 4 mil.

Back
Top Bottom