MERGED: Gus Frerotte a phin | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Gus Frerotte a phin

SCall13 said:
Didn't see anywhere in that article that GUARANTEED Feeley will start. I personally don't believe Saban will start an inferior player. SO if Frerotte beats out Feeley in a fair competition for the job, Gus will start. I'm not a big Frerotte fan so I'm not playing favorites here. It's just the way it should be. Saban is a competitor and will play the better player. Just my opinion.

No you didn't, what you read was that he was signed to be a back up. Back up. 2nd stringer. 2nd fiddle. Bench warmer. Clip board holder.

He can obviously beat him out and will probably play better than him due to his knowledge of the system. But unless Feeley throws 3 INTs a game in pre season or gets hurt he will be our starter. Saban said he was gonna stick with Feeley from the beginning and everybody said he was lying, we're gonna draft Rodgers/Smith, blah blah blah...If there is one thing that Saban has shown about his way, is that he's tight lipped and when he says something he aint lying.

FireWrongstedt said:
I'm not opposed to Feeley - I hope he can be an excellent QB. But, there are still several ?????'s about him.

The only way to answer questions about Feeley is to name him the starter and give him the solid majority of the snaps during the pre-season. At this stage of the game, a QB competition between Feeley and Frerotte does neither any good and polarizes the team.

By the way ... what is it with us and "F" quarterbacks?

Da 'Fins said:
Agree completely. I'm all for giving him a solid chance. It is also a good point that we should find out about him since we will not win anything this year.

If we go 8-8, I'll actually be content. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

I'm all for giving him a chance, but if during training camp and pre season, Linehan and Saban don't think he beats out Frerotte, then bench him and start Gus.

You don't start the season as an experiment, you start the season with hopes of a Superbowl, no matter what team you are. You put the players on the field that give you the best chance to win. As the season goes on and hopes dwindle, then you experiment.

Anyone taking bets that he wont beat out Feeley by seasons end?

DoLpHiNz34 said:
But unless Feeley throws 3 INTs a game in pre season or gets hurt he will be our starter. Saban said he was gonna stick with Feeley from the beginning and everybody said he was lying, we're gonna draft Rodgers/Smith, blah blah blah...If there is one thing that Saban has shown about his way, is that he's tight lipped and when he says something he aint lying.

I doubt that Saban would play a 26 year old inferior player. But thats just my opinion. I think he's more competitive than that. Also, AJ is going to get every chance to be the best player, but if he isnt the best, I dont see him starting.

I wont even be surprised if we draft a QB at #2 overall. The position is too important

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I'm all for giving him a chance, but if during training camp and pre season, Linehan and Saban don't think he beats out Frerotte, then bench him and start Gus.

You don't start the season as an experiment, you start the season with hopes of a Superbowl, no matter what team you are. You put the players on the field that give you the best chance to win. As the season goes on and hopes dwindle, then you experiment.

We are rebuilding !!! Frerotte will look better in the preseason I garauntee it. He was brought in to be the back up, it's that simple. Something pretty drastic would have to happen for Feeley not to start on opening day. Frerotte will be a great back up, and may capable of great things if called upon. I will support who even is lined up under center. I know Saban is smarter than you on these decisions, and certainly smarter than me.

Question: any ramifications of cutting Sage? I'd still like to see us take Rodgers/Smith at #2 and let Gus help teach the new system to both Feeley and new guy. Sure doesn't seem likely now, but I just don't have faith in AJ (or Sage) and think if Gus is starting we are going backwards. I doubt this qb trio is striking fear into our opponents hearts!

Captain Lou said:
We are rebuilding !!! Frerotte will look better in the preseason I garauntee it. He was brought in to be the back up, it's that simple. Something pretty drastic would have to happen for Feeley not to start on opening day. Frerotte will be a great back up, and may capable of great things if called upon. I will support who even is lined up under center. I know Saban is smarter than you on these decisions, and certainly smarter than me.

Yes, Saban is smarter, and he will put the players out that give us the best chance. In todays NFL it does not take years, it can take a year. His signings so far point towards competing now, not so much rebuilding. I hope Feeley can do it, but if Frerotte beats him out, then so be it.

Captain Lou said:

Agreed. Feeley will def start unless something huge goes wrong w/ him. We have to see if he is our future now. No way gus starts.

This is nothing earth-shattering as most of us suspected it, and is a decent move for our team...What this does is that IF Feeley struggles learning the O, we have someone who could take O and run with it...is he the best choice as a starter, no, but we would be in better shape than in past years with our b/u QB...If Feeley picks the O up ok, then Ferrotte will be able to mentor him in both the offense and Feeley's maturity as a starter...

The question is....what about Sage...

IMO...If we pick a QB on day one of the draft, Sage will be camp fodder or possibly traded after the draft...if we get a day two draftee at QB...Sage will still compete for the 3rd spot and either win it or lose it in TC. The advantage is that a day two guy could be put on the practice squad and still be able to develop during the year, unless whoever he is, really surprises in minicamps and TC... Or if none of the available QBs excite us or someone Saban had rated real high slips to us and we don't get a QB, Sage is still, at least the #3 guy. Either way, Sage's tenure is somewhat tenuous right now, since his contract is such that it makes a trade very doable...

Hope Frerotte can compete with Feeley for the starting spot, it will bring out the best in Feeley.

And just when I was beginning to like the thought of Alex Smith in a fins uniform.

Back
Top Bottom