Merged: Jake Grove Agrees to Five Year Deal! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Jake Grove Agrees to Five Year Deal!

I really liked Jake Grove coming out of college and wished we would have drafted him. I hope he can stay healthy in Miami and provide us with a good starting center or at least provide good depth on the o-line.

i hope it works out Satele to me is a good player they should move him to guard or sumthin.......and ppl keep talkin about Satele playing at 6-3 295 this guy grove is only 6-3 305 not that big of a differince ya feel me.......

Uh size isn't EVERYTHING. Grove is physical and aggressive while Satele is a finesse player. Also, Grove is flat out more powerful then Samson.

If this signing is legit . . . then the draft seems simple . . . get a SOLB . . . and get some CB's. I think a DE could be in play as well. I wonder who they have as their CB prospect . . . Moore, Smith, Smith, Butler?

Right now this Line just got real deep with Groves . . . we just need a OT late in the draft and we are set.

And with the signing of Grove, we have a proven NFL veteran and are not going to roll the dice on drafting a starting center from the college ranks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya, I remember when he was coming out of of college in 2004 he was a solid prospect. I'm glad we got the position locked up.

If Smiley comes back 100%, well there's your line:

LT Long
LG Smiley/Satele
C Grove
RG Satele/Smiley
RT Carey

Interesting signing. I gotta say I didn't see this one coming. I'd be very curious to find out how they had Grove graded compared to Jason Brown. I suspect Grove signed in the $5M- $6M range. Certainly cheaper than the deal Jason signed but when you factor in Groves' age and injury history, I wonder if passing on Brown was wise.

I am a big time Satele supporter, and still, I am onboard with this acquisition 100%....this could answer our short yardage need big time.
Even though I began to have hope with Polite's late success on short yardage, I must admit, we never really overpowered D lines with a genuine push. I hear a lot of "move Satele to guard" comments, but as he doesn't fit the system at Center, moving him over one slot isn't gonna make him a bull. Satele will most likely have success as a zone blocking/pass pro center, and I hope we get some decent offers for him but this move does drop his return value.
I have always believed that the most important play in football is the 3rd and 1 or 2, honestly we have been pretty pathetic in these POOP (Push On Or Punt) situations for years now.
So let the debate continue between ball control & quick strike proponents, the greatest ball control team of all time, the '72 Dolphins will tell you to the man that Csonka wasn't supposed to run for 40 yards on those big plays, but they knew he would at least run for the first down....that's for sure! ( Hey Larry, your knees would have lasted a lot longer if you only took what you needed to....greedy bulldozer!)
I am guessing we lead the league in TOP, and if we do, you can make that schedule as tough as you want to.....hard to lose to a team that can't get your offense off the field.
I still want Herman Johnson, but that is highly unlikely now...unless Bill is gonna go ahead and finish the job building the O-line up this year.....

Well this was necessary. I suspect we overpaid, but that's what happens when we lose out on Brown. FO realized there was a need and addressed it. Except that settling for middle of the road free agents didn't exactly work last year. We'll see. I'm happy it was addressed, but can't help being skeptical when we sign an injury prone 29 yr old to a 5 year deal.

Ya, I remember when he was coming out of of college in 2004 he was a solid prospect. I'm glad we got the position locked up.

If Smiley comes back 100%, well there's your line:

LT Long
LG Smiley/Satele
C Grove
RG Satele/Smiley
RT Carey

Donald Thomas will be a starting guard on our team next year.

Back
Top Bottom