Merged: Madison Poll/doesn't expect to return (link) | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Madison Poll/doesn't expect to return (link)

What will happen to Madison?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rugged Ronnie23 said:
Will Poole is his replacment and he will be better than Sam ever was
What are you basing that on? Honestly.
We're talking about a guy who made the pro bowl a bunch of times, is near the top of team records for INT's, made numerous big plays, and gave our defense a little swagger. Actually, he's a pro bowl alternate this year meaning if one of the other corners gets hurt tomorrow or in the post-season, he'd be a pro bowler yet again.
I like Will Poole a lot and I have high hopes he'll be great but to say that a third-year guy who's started once will replace one of the best corners in team history is a stretch.

Jesus.

Sam has been a great CB for us for a number of years. He's been classy and played a part in a good Dolphins defense for years. If he's not with the team next year, I wish him all the best, and thank him for the excellent work he's done.

Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Mr. Reality said:
He's probably gone but we better have a damn replacement. His play was much more consistant than anyone gives him credit for. Right now I'm not comfortable with a 2nd year man (Daniels) and a 3rd year man coming off a torn ACL (Poole) as our opening day starters. Not to mention NO NICKEL back. We need and insurance policy at corner, in case Poole is less than 100%.

There always is that tendancy to fall in love with the young potential over the established vet. I really dont get why Miami wouldnt keep Sam, but then again I thought they were crazy to deal Surtain as well. This passing defense would have major issues if the only opetions at corner next year were Poole, Daniels, and some draftee.

Madison's base salary is only 3.5 mil, there is very little to be saved off the salary cap by cutting him, and whoever replaces him will either be a more expensive vet free agent or an unproven young player. Keep the guy around for another year....

touborg said:
Jesus.

Sam has been a great CB for us for a number of years. He's been classy and played a part in a good Dolphins defense for years. If he's not with the team next year, I wish him all the best, and thank him for the excellent work he's done.

Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.
That's what I'm saying!
Sam Madison has done so much for the Dolphins and the Miami community over such a long period of time, you'd think he'd get a little more recognition.

He's probably gone but we better have a damn replacement. His play was much more consistant than anyone gives him credit for. Right now I'm not comfortable with a 2nd year man (Daniels) and a 3rd year man coming off a torn ACL (Poole) as our opening day starters. Not to mention NO NICKEL back. We need and insurance policy at corner, in case Poole is less than 100%.
Exactly, I don't feel comfortable going in to next season with Daniels, Poole.... it makes me laugh when I hear some people on here say "oh, were fine at CB with Daniels, Poole, and Mitchell; lol since when was Mitchell, that practice squad guy, good enough to be a starter??? Won't be next year...

MarSly said:
Sam you might not go anywhere.The smile and confidence in your play shows you still have it.Just let your your contract be redone and you can stay on your team to the end.

He has indicated that HE doesn't want to come back for less money, so I wouldn't hold my breath...besides, the thing going against him the most is that he just doesn't fit very well with what Saban does in his secodary. It's not that he is a bad CB, he just doesn't fit very well. He has lost some of his speed, which is what made him special, but he can play well for someone (like Bates in GB) for another year as a starter and then perhaps as the 3rd CB after that for a year or two...but don't shed any tears for him. He has played well for us but benefited from having Surtain on the other side and also benefited from utilizing the particular scheme we did for all those years...

And Sam, thanks for the memories...we did enjoy your time here...

LarryFinFan said:
He has indicated that HE doesn't want to come back for less money, so I wouldn't hold my breath...besides, the thing going against him the most is that he just doesn't fit very well with what Saban does in his secodary. It's not that he is a bad CB, he just doesn't fit very well. He has lost some of his speed, which is what made him special, but he can play well for someone (like Bates in GB) for another year as a starter and then perhaps as the 3rd CB after that for a year or two...but don't shed any tears for him. He has played well for us but benefited from having Surtain on the other side and also benefited from utilizing the particular scheme we did for all those years...

And Sam, thanks for the memories...we did enjoy your time here...

Well said Larry!

WestCoastPhins said:
Here is a question to all of you. I am sure you have all by now heard madisons talkings about how this is his last year as a fin. if you havent, where have you been.

But the question can be asked whos fault was it that the orgainizations promise to him was broken. If you did not know the front office told sam if he took a pay cut they would use that savings to sign surtain.

Madison took the cut, and then wanny and rick were fired and saban took over. Saban then traded pat. So now we have madison refusing to take a pay cut because he was lied to before. So whose fault is it?

Vote above:

Wanny and Rick
: for promising sam somthing and not finishing up on the deal
Saban: for not following through on the promise and resigning pat.
Rick S. only: For trading the 2nd round pick for feeley which we then traded pat for to get one back.
Sam: For realising it was someone else who made the promise and he should not hold this regime responsible. Although it was the same ownership that promised it would do somthing with his money.
And as a kicker, sams former agent: for not adding the stipulation that if pat is not resigned then the money goes back to sam.
and finally, drew R.: We all know and hate him, he is now sams agent and probably telling him dont take a pay cut they werent loyal. Look at eagles and TO man. (blah blah other drew rosenstab blab, blah blah).

I'm not too sure where people get the idea that the organization didn't fulfill it's promise to Sam...they promised to sign players, and they did....they signed McMike to a long term contract for one. Carter, Holliday, Traylor... Get over it...the organization did nothing wrong to SM...Pat left because he didn't want to re-sign here. He knew that Saban's D didn't correspond with his strengths. Get over this stuff, this is a business not a high school homeroom class. What can you do for me today is the question that is always asked, not what have you done. There is no shame on the organization or on SM or PS for that matter over this episode. Whether that was a negiotiation ploy or not is really not known at any rate. If the FO made that promise, then SM was stupid for believing it. Their responsibility (the FO) is to putting a team on the field. Sam's responsibility is to make plays. Both did their jobs....(this year at least...)

I voted for other!

If there is no "guaranteed" contracts in the NFL, what would make a person think there is a "guaranteed" word of honor?

Its the business part of it......

It's Wanny's and Rick's fault. If we didn't give Sam an unessessary huge contract, didn't sign Reggie Howard, and didn't trade our 2nd round pick for AJ. Our secondary would have been Surtain, Poole, Daniels, someone else signed instead of Reggie. Think of how much better we would have been, maybe even a playoff team.

I blame all bad things on Wanny and Rick. To Saban's credit he has done everything right and can't think of bad decision and when was the last time we could say that!

Surtain was my favorite Fin on D would have loved moving Madison instead. I feel he is very replacable and very over rated. Granted his play picked up this year but he needs to go. If any promises were broken between him and Miami than it works both ways because I really don't think Sam plays hard every play especially last year. His tackling improved this year but Miami can pick up someone to take his place that will be much more cap friendly.

For him to talk like he is right now is more proof that Miami doesn't need him around. Saban will get his type of players and Sam obviously knows he isn't one of them. Trying to take shot at the organization before he leaves, wouldnt expect anything else from him.

popularwar said:
That's what I'm saying!
Sam Madison has done so much for the Dolphins and the Miami community over such a long period of time, you'd think he'd get a little more recognition.

The recognition comes from multi million dollar contracts. Which is something he will not budge on. I like Sam, but the smiling when you lose and the Chrebet comment was kind of funny.

Back
Top Bottom