Merged: Matt Leinart | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Matt Leinart

Nice post, too bad we will have to trade 2 first round picks to get him if we do.

dolphinfan2k5 said:
Nice post, too bad we will have to trade 2 first round picks to get him if we do.

If it would only cost us our first's in the '06 and '07 drafts I would do it everyday of the week.

I think we'd have to sweeten the pot though...I'm sure at least one more first day pick would be involved...maybe two of them.

kastofsna120 said:
yeah but.....he got a roommate! and he's immature because he decided to stick around for his senior season! he's taking a dancing class! HE'LL BE A BUST!

Dancing is not good for RBs but its a pretty good skill to have if you want to avoid a rush.:tongue: .

I agree that accuracy and field IQ are more important than arm strength.What about his release ? I hear that it is average.

CrunchTime said:
Dancing is not good for RBs but its a pretty good skill to have if you want to avoid a rush.:tongue: .

I agree that accuracy and field IQ are more important than arm strength.What about his release ? I hear that it is average.
his release is good. it's a nice overhand motion, although it is a bit slow sometimes, although not on the deep ball, where the ball gets out fairly quick. his arm strength is only questioned because everything else is so good about him. seriously

SQuinn17 said:
just cause youre a fan doesnt mean u know everything about the guy

c'mon, he's just giving his insight about leinart...it's better to have posters who share their opinions (not stupid ones) than posters that just complains.

Nice analysis. I agree that Leinart has amazing touch and puts the ball in the best place for his wr to get it. Good point also about the young receivers.

To me, the whole arm strength thing is overrated. Yes, in the best of all worlds you'd love to have a qb with Marino's arm strength and Vick's running ability. But, to me the most important quality for a quarterback is decision making and that's what I like best about Leinart. He is not an elite athlete, but I think he can be an elite qb like a Tom Brady or a Peyton Manning.

unifiedtheory said:
If it would only cost us our first's in the '06 and '07 drafts I would do it everyday of the week.

I think we'd have to sweeten the pot though...I'm sure at least one more first day pick would be involved...maybe two of them.

I agree. I'd give up two #1's in a heartbeat, but it might take more with all the qb hungry teams likely to pick ahead of Miami. I hope a few of the juniors come out.

SQuinn17 said:
just cause youre a fan doesnt mean u know everything about the guy

c'mon, he's just giving his insight about leinart...it's better to have posters who share their opinions (not stupid ones) than posters that just complain.

edit: ops, double

I'm a UCLA Bruin and as much as I hate the USC condom brands, err Trojans, I still think Leinart is a darn good QB who I'd love to see at the helm of the Miami Dolphins. That's like a Fins fan praising Tom Brady. He reminds me a lot of Peyton Manning, who also doesn't have a lot of arm strength but just knows how to play and lead.

Good post. I too watch USC every week, so I'll add a couple things. Leinart is already mentally better than most NFL QB's. He simply "gets it". Watch his head, if his first target isn't open, he progresses through his reads VERY quickly, until he finds the open guy. Most young QB's (even the good ones) tend to lock on to one or two targets, and if they're covered, they take off and run. Not Leinart.

If I had to pick a weakness, it's that he is sometimes too much of a touch passer. It's not because he can't put more zip on it, but he sometimes chooses to put more air under it than necesssary. That can lead to the CB breaking up the pass. I've seen this happen a couple times. It's not a huge gripe though. I'm sure he'll learn he can't always do that in the NFL.

Other than that, he's an excellent QB.

Back
Top Bottom