MERGED: Michael Sam to be First Openly Gay Player - Okay w/ Phins drafting him? | Page 46 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Michael Sam to be First Openly Gay Player - Okay w/ Phins drafting him?

I didn't say you said it. I'm explaining why his career wasn't the primary motivator in having his number retired by the league.

Why is JRobinson the ONLY player to have received that honor?

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Specifically what is like saying "if you didn't vote for Obama its because he is black"?

No sir, I did NOT say that. READ again.

Tell me how Jackie Robinson and Michael Sam are even in the same air politically, socially, historically?

And yes, just like the Obama scenario.

People will spin this to fit whatever argument they choose.

I'm sure you're an expert on media/public relationships.

She's confused because you make generalized statements for which you provide no specific examples. You keep insinuating that gay people are "imposing" on others but you can't seem to articulate how they are doing that. It's a bit exasperating.

I didn't say you said it. I'm explaining why his career wasn't the primary motivator in having his number retired by the league.

Why is JRobinson the ONLY player to have received that honor?

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Specifically what is like saying "if you didn't vote for Obama its because he is black"?

I'm saying that if someone doesn't wanna draft him it'll immediately be assumed "because he's gay"

She's confused because you make generalized statements for which you provide no specific examples. You keep insinuating that gay people are "imposing" on others but you can't seem to articulate how they are doing that. It's a bit exasperating.

Not me. I love talking to fundies about stuff like this especially when it presents an opportunity to expose the hypocrisy and narrow-mindedness of their position.

I'm saying that if someone doesn't wanna draft him it'll immediately be assumed "because he's gay"

She doesn't understand.

It's funny this conversation. I'll use a musical analogy.

A few years ago Ricky Martin was the hottest thing in music. He comes out. Career= gone.
George Michael= super huge in the 80's. Came out= career wanes.

I know we all wish things were equal, and I do believe most of us on this board don't give a rats ass if Sam is gay or not.

This is just a conversation. That is all.

No, this is just a waste of time.

You threw a lot of fake scruples and principles up on the board, and when you were asked to explain more about it, it all fell apart, and now you're admitting it's really about the fact that you're bored, you're talking sh*t, and you're annoyed at this whole gay out thing in the NFL.

No sir, I did NOT say that. READ again.
You said his race wasn't the primary factor. I'm still waiting to hear you make the case for why JR is the only person to have been given that honor if race wasn't a factor.

Tell me how Jackie Robinson and Michael Sam are even in the same air politically, socially, historically?
Black people were denied equal rights; gay people are denied equal rights.
Black people were denied the right to marry the person of their own choosing; gay people are, in many places, denied the right to marry the person of their own choosing.
JR was the first black player to play in the modern major leagues; MSam might be the first openly gay person to be drafted and play in the NFL.
Bringing JR up to the majors resulted in negative attention and controversy; MSam entering the NFL draft as an openly gay man has resulted in negative attention and controversy.

Both are breaking new ground. The similarities are astoundingly obvious.

Should the day come when a woman plays in the NFL, MLB, the NBA, or the NHL, we'll hear the same arguments all over again.

You said his race wasn't the primary factor. I'm still waiting to hear you make the case for why JR is the only person to have been given that honor if race wasn't a factor.

Black people were equal rights; gay people are denied equal rights.
Black people were denied the right to marry the person of their own choosing; gay people are, in many places, denied the right to marry the person of their own choosing.
JR was the first black player to play in the modern major leagues; MSam might be the first openly gay person to be drafted and play in the NFL.
Bringing JR up to the majors resulted in negative attention and controversy; MSam entering the NFL draft as an openly gay man has resulted in negative attention and controversy.

Should the day come when a woman plays in the NFL, MLB, the NBA, or the NHL, we'll hear the same arguments all over again.

gays rights now and blacks rights back then aren't even comparable, u look silly comparing the 2

so your trying to say a guy who has seen another penis in a lockeroom is the same as a guy who takes a penis in the ass?

I don't care what gays do behind closed doors but this guy coming out totally reeks of wanting attention and so he can blame it on his gayness for not getting drafted.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

I wouldn't draft him for the fact alone that he came out...

He doesn't seek attention. He didn't want it. He just wants to play football.
Because he had been completely open with his Mizzou teammates, he had fielded some preliminary questions about his sexuality from NFL teams. Rather than lie, he had been honest. Since he was already fielding the questions, he decided to try to take control by releasing the statement.
He said that his preference would be to be open with the owner, GM and Coach to wherever he goes in a quiet conversation, but when the cat got out of the bag, he preferred to be totally open than to lie about it.
What differentiates him from other gay footballers is his preparedness to be open and not ashamed of his sexuality. He is a tough guy and he can handle the situation. However, he doesn't seek the attention, it was coming to him.

No, this is just a waste of time.

You threw a lot of fake scruples and principles up on the board, and when you were asked to explain more about it, it all fell apart, and now you're admitting it's really about the fact that you're bored, you're talking sh*t, and you're annoyed at this whole gay out thing in the NFL.

Is that where your going? Personal attacks? Maybe fake to you, but tell me.... why should I care?

Black people were denied equal rights; gay people are denied equal rights.

A woman has ALREADY played in the NHL. YEARS ago.

Sure there are similarities.

But don't tell me that society is even close to what it was in Jackie Robinson's day.

Exasperating, yes, it's all bs. You could have warned me before I got sucked into all this. I'm sure you ran into these same conversations on the depths of whatever threads.

A woman has ALREADY played in the NHL. YEARS ago.

She played in an exhibition game, not a league game.

Sure there are similarities.
But don't tell me that society is even close to what it was in Jackie Robinson's day.

Okay, it's clear you can't or you won't answer the question. I can only assume it's because you've boxed yourself into a corner from which you can't find an escape.

She played in an exhibition game, not a league game.

Okay, it's clear you can't or you won't answer the question. I can only assume it's because you've boxed yourself into a corner from which you can't find an escape.

Not at all.. I simply don't equate the 2 because gays have much more rights than blacks did back in 1947.

Back
Top Bottom