MERGED: Official NHL Thread | Page 90 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Official NHL Thread

Miika Kiprusoff is winning the Vezina this year he has 8 shutouts and 32 wins. He has torn up the league all year having impressive games. I am not taking anything away from Lundqvist who I think is the runner up right now and has a great year himself but Kiprusoff is the for sure favorite IMO. I think Huet is to late even if he keeps up his amazing play!

Crisis said:
The Sabres have peaked all year. They've had a couple rough spells, but I believe they have the best record in the league by like 6 points in the last 45 or 46 games.

Their play has been consistently good this year.

Who knows if Haske will be healthy in the playoffs- and then you have Nitty, Lundqvist, Huet, and Grahame/Burke in the East, not including Broduer. If Hasek isn't ready to go Emery will get shelled. The only team that has the experience advantage in the East is the Devils.

I think Buffalo at one point was 8-9 and that is when Biron/Noronen were struggling while Miller was hurt. If I am not mistaken they took something like 16/18 points before the Olympic break and now have won 6/7 after the break which is a pretty amazing streak. Add in the streak Biron had early in the year and the team has been on a hot streak basically since the slow start. With the injuries that have taken place this year the Sabres have guys who can step in. The reason why I believe Buffalo will be successful in the playoffs is that they're like 2nd in power play and 2nd in penalty killing which are both crucial in the playoffs.

Pink_Dove said:
When I say peaking, I mean winning 6 or 7 games in a row like they're doing right now. The Sabres have not done that all season or else they'd be the number 1 seed in the East right now.

Check your stats. Save for a little hiccup early on (late Oct-early Nov) when Miller first got injured, the Sabres have not had any notable losing streaks. They've only lost 17 games with 5 OT losses, so they've been winning for large stretches all season.

http://www.nhl.com/teams/buf/schedule.html

dominizzo said:
Sabres will go out 1st rd

I think Philly is the 5th seed right now and I don't think they can beat Buffalo 4/7 games. Ottawa and Carolina could, maybe New Jersey could steal a series with Brodeur but I don't think Philly can.

HiOctaneBills said:
Check your stats. Save for a little hiccup early on (late Oct-early Nov) when Miller first got injured, the Sabres have not had any notable losing streaks. They've only lost 17 games with 5 OT losses, so they've been winning for large stretches all season.

http://www.nhl.com/teams/buf/schedule.html

Agreed but what jumps out at me when looking at those stats is the period that follows winning streaks. Look at the Sabres record (or any other team for that matter of fact) following the end of a winning streak (except in December where the Sabres really tore up the league with 2 fairly impressive winning streaks separated by a loss).

Odds are you'll start losing some after a winning streak, and that it'll take time to pull another winning streak which is just natural because you tend to work less when things come easier during a winning streak.

In other words, if I'm a Sabres fan I'm hoping we don't win the last 16 games before the playoffs. Of course you're not going to ask your team to tank it, but if I'm Darcy Regier, I'm resting some of my quality guys and giving Biron some time in nets. This is a risky proposition because you can't overdo it, you need your team ready for the playoffs but the objective is to peak right when the playoffs start, not before, not after.

I will say, I didn't know the Sabres's longest losing streak this season is 4 games. And that was in November. Pretty darn impressive.

Tim Connolly has come back from injury and hasn't missed a beat. Before he got hurt I thought he was the teams MVP it's nice to see him finally develop into the player that Regier thought he would be when he was acquired for Peca.

Huge win for the Leafs and a Loss for Tampa we have 2 games up on them and only 6 points back we have played the same amount of games of Montreal and our 5 points away from them. The hopes our still alive!

GO LEAFS!

djfresh47 said:
Tim Connolly has come back from injury and hasn't missed a beat. Before he got hurt I thought he was the teams MVP it's nice to see him finally develop into the player that Regier thought he would be when he was acquired for Peca.

Tweaked his knee again tonight, team says its nothing serious.

These guys just find a way to win, and they are expected to surpass the team record for wins set in 74-75, a year in which they lost the Cup Finals to the Broad Street Bullies, 4-2. I'm liking our chances more and more evry game.

As Dove said, our longest losing streak was 4 games... that bodes well for the playoffs.

dominizzo said:
Sabres will go out 1st rd

And this is based on? :confused:

As it stands we wont have to play any team that might give us serious trouble in the 1st round (NJ, Car, Ott). As I stated in my other post, Sabres havent lost more than 4 in a row all season. It's going to be tough to beat us 4 times out 7.

wazzy said:
Huge win for the Leafs and a Loss for Tampa we have 2 games up on them and only 6 points back we have played the same amount of games of Montreal and our 5 points away from them. The hopes our still alive!

GO LEAFS!

Leafs 5-4 over boston tonight in a shoot-out and have earned seven of a possible eight points in their last four games to keep their playoff hopes alive - this with back-up Mikael Tellqvist making back to back starts - my boy, Darcy Tucker, beat Bruins goalie Tim Thomas on the stick side for the only goal in the shootout - the Leafs are now tied with the islanders five points back of eighth-place Montreal...

HiOctaneBills said:
Tweaked his knee again tonight, team says its nothing serious.

These guys just find a way to win, and they are expected to surpass the team record for wins set in 74-75, a year in which they lost the Cup Finals to the Broad Street Bullies, 4-2. I'm liking our chances more and more evry game.

As Dove said, our longest losing streak was 4 games... that bodes well for the playoffs.

Paul Hamilton reported it was nothing and he is fine today.

Back
Top Bottom