Merged: Omar Jacobs | Page 25 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Omar Jacobs

Some thoughts on Omar Jacobs

Ive noticed a lot of people are high on passing on Cutler in the first round and taking Jacobs in the second round. This is a huge reach for Jacobs. Yes, he is athletic, but he has an awkward throwing motion, and put up far better numbers his Junior season than he did this year. He struggled most against one of the worst teams in the county in Buffalo. He is from Delray and would love to play in Miami, but I just dont see him being anyones QB of the future in this league.

As far as Cutler, some people are saying he is a reach at 16, but I dont see that. I think the reason why Dolfans are so high on Cutler is that this is the first time in years that we have had a shot with the intangibles of a Jay Cutler. He is athletic, cerebral, a fantastic leader, and has a good throwing motion, and pretty good arm strength. I think that in time, Cutler will be a better NFL QB than Vince Young. It is extremely realistic to think that Cutler will be there for us, and I think that the only way that he doesnt is if Detroit grabs him at 9. But, that is not likely to happen with all of the needs that they have.

Jacobs has the potential. He has the size, athleticism, and arm strength you look for in a NFL QB, but he is way too much of a risk to take anywhere on the first day. He is a big time project and will probably have to sit out at least two years and probably more. I don't think the Dolphins are looking for a long term project.

? for those who want Jacobs so bad

I'm just a little bit curious. There seems to be a trend of people who want the Dolphins to take Omar Jacobs really bad. I have heard alot of "hopefully we can get Jacobs in the 2nd round." or "maybe we can trade down and get him later in the first."I was wondering out of all of these people with this feeling how many of you have seen him play more than say 3 games? Its true he has put up some big numbers against bad teams, and he has some talent, but the general consensus from people who scout college players seems to be that he will be a 4th-5th round guy and will be a major project. If I'm not mistaken that was what the advisory committee told him as well. I personally have only seen him play once and he was impressive at times, but showed he is going to need alot of work before he is ready to play in the NFL. But by only watching one game I don't think that qualifies me to make a decision about the kid. That is why I am trusting the the professionals know what they are talking about. So I am just really curious about why so many people are in love with him, think he will be drafted so high even though people "in the know" seem to think otherwise, and why they are so convinced that this is the case.

I'm pretty sure a lot of analysts predict he will go before the 4th round and the projection you are using (which was strictly a 4th round choice, not 4th-5th) is mainly from the advisory committee, which is one made pre-workout and combine. Also the fact that he probably is one of the better prospective talents after the big three and there being no clearcut prospect coming out of the draft that has proven to be much better than him doesn't hurt the reasoning that he will go before the 4th round. That and how impressive he looks playing (at least in the highlights I've seen) has myself and some intrigued and the reasoning is that he will leave a positive impression on scouts in workouts.

2004 had 4 first round QBs and 2005 had 3 first round QBs and Jacobs is the 4 best rated QB according to ALL the experts including nfldraftcountdown.com so according to history he will go no further than the second round.

According to draft history he'll go in the 3rd then because a QB hasn't gone in the 2nd since Drew Brees.

Jaj said:
According to draft history he'll go in the 3rd then because a QB hasn't gone in the 2nd since Drew Brees.

Well since Brees there where not as many QB needy teams and such a poor class.

Joey 22 said:
Well since Brees there where not as many QB needy teams and such a poor class.
Really, I never thought of the Manning/Ben/Rivers draft class of qb's as poor. Where'd you get that revelation? :confused:

The number of QB needy teams is always high....

And as far as Jacobs, "project" is only the begining of what Id use to describe him.

I love when people explain to me how just because a QB has a strong arm hes going to be a great QB, as so many of the Jacobs supporters do. Im sorry but I have yet to see why he'd be anything other than an absolute dud. He posses the touch of Ray Lucas and the accuracy of Akilli Smith.

Really, what does he has other than arm strength a component that is probably the least important of any of the major components when you look for a qb.

In short, when Jacobs develops an ability to feel the rush, throw the ball with accuracy and touch, understands how to read defenses, gets experience in a pro style offense instead of some gimmick garbage system that inflates his numbers (here on out referred to as im Couch Syndrome), and improves his footwork/mechanics MAYBE then he's something to look at. Until then hes just a clone of Bowling green's last QB (Jeff Harris) who was drafted by Baltimore in rd 5 and couldnt even break camp with the team.

Boik14 said:
And as far as Jacobs, "project" is only the begining of what Id use to describe him.

I love when people explain to me how just because a QB has a strong arm hes going to be a great QB, as so many of the Jacobs supporters do. Im sorry but I have yet to see why he'd be anything other than an absolute dud. He posses the touch of Ray Lucas and the accuracy of Akilli Smith.

Really, what does he has other than arm strength a component that is probably the least important of any of the major components when you look for a qb.

In short, when Jacobs develops an ability to feel the rush, throw the ball with accuracy and touch, understands how to read defenses, gets experience in a pro style offense instead of some gimmick garbage system that inflates his numbers (here on out referred to as im Couch Syndrome), and improves his footwork/mechanics MAYBE then he's something to look at. Until then hes just a clone of Bowling green's last QB (Jeff Harris) who was drafted by ngBaltimore in rd 5 and couldnt even break camp with the team.
I've never seen him play so I can't evaluate him....you seem to know a little bit about QB's so could you tell me who you like other than the top 3? And whoever you like, what round do you see him going in?

Ozzy rules!!

Boik14 said:
Really, I never thought of the Manning/Ben/Rivers draft class of qb's as poor. Where'd you get that revelation? :confused:

I was trying to say, aaauugghh any ways nevermind if you are not smart enough to properly read a short sentence it makes no sense to argue with you.

daniel3 said:
I'm pretty sure a lot of analysts predict he will go before the 4th round and the projection you are using (which was strictly a 4th round choice, not 4th-5th) is mainly from the advisory committee, which is one made pre-workout and combine. Also the fact that he probably is one of the better prospective talents after the big three and there being no clearcut prospect coming out of the draft that has proven to be much better than him doesn't hurt the reasoning that he will go before the 4th round. That and how impressive he looks playing (at least in the highlights I've seen) has myself and some intrigued and the reasoning is that he will leave a positive impression on scouts in workouts.
No people like Scouts Inc. and Mel Kiper both have said he is a 4th rounder at best right now. You could add the local draft experts like Boomer to the list of people saying he shouldn't be a first day pick. Seeing highlights of a player doesnt tell the whole story. This is why I have made the post. All these people here have an idea of him without really knowing the whole story. This is a very strong draft and for a team to take a high-risk player ahead of a close to sure thing in the second round would be silly. This year's second rounders could have had a chance to go in the first last year. I'm not denying he has potential, but he is as high risk as you can get in the draft and taking him in the second could be stupid unless he looks superb in workouts.

Joey 22 said:
2004 had 4 first round QBs and 2005 had 3 first round QBs and Jacobs is the 4 best rated QB according to ALL the experts including nfldraftcountdown.com so according to history he will go no further than the second round.
I don't really know who you mean in ALL the experts, but Scouts Inc. and Mel Kiper are widely cosidered pretty good references and niether one of them have Jacobs as the 4th best QB. In fact Kiper has him as the 6th QB after Croyle and Whitehurst, and I have even read in his mailbags that Hackney could be up there as well.

Back
Top Bottom