MERGED: Ricky's run already ended | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Ricky's run already ended

That article was dumb. One sided point of view. Our o-line stunk in '03. Of course his production dropped. But that's not an excuse for RW. It is, however, a good excuse for why AJ Feeley stunk up the field last year. :shakeno: There are a lot of hypocrites around here.

SCall13 said:
This coming from a guy who likes the Transformers. :shakeno:
I'm not a Ricky hugger. I hate what he did to our team last year. But I do know that he can help this team. That's all that matters to me: Wins for the Dolphins. The article was a single point of view that Ricky haters cream over. But the same ones that hate him will still love to see him bust a 50 something yard game clinching TD against teams like the Jets and Bills.
It's the same with me. I don't like Feeley AT ALL. But if he starts, I will pull for him to do well and cheer when he throws a TD pass.
What it boils down to is this: Regardless of what we, the fans want, Saban will do what he sees fit to help this team win. If he views RW as a help, he'll be in uniform. And I think Saban feels Ricky will help us. I agree. Also, if RWs teammates are ready to accept him back, then that's what really matters. What us fans think, one way or the other, doesn't matter at all. And it looks to me like his team mates are ready to give him the benefit of the doubt and take him back.

What I don't get is the hypocrisy when it comes to Ricky and D. Boston. David Boston was taking NFL banned substances. He was doing it knowingly and risking being suspended by the league. Had he not gotten injured, he WOULD have been suspended by the league, which would essentially been the same thing as walking out on his team because he knew what he was doing was going to get him suspended. yet, most of the people on the board who trash RW, welcomed Boston back with open arms. Yes, there are some differences -but there are quite a few similarities as well.
I have been against Boston returning from day one. I still think he'll not be as effective as he has been because of the injuries and if he's off the roids. I honestly see having Ricky here as a step backwards for this team. I don't see him putting up "big numbers" at all. This O-line is a work in progress and it's no better than the line he ran behind in 2003, where he was under whelming on a ridiculous amount of carries. The other glazed over fact about Ricky is that he fumbles alot. So being away from the game for a year is going to give him better hands??? The real problem is no one knows what back will show up at training camp this year, not even Saban, not even Ricky's agent. He's proven time and again that he is untrustworthy and uncommited.

SABA-TOOTH said:
the thing about ricky is, he is not our saviour(sp).. brown is.. saban wants to up ricky value for us for this year and to try to get something in return for him... right now we are owed 8.6 million for him .. which equals $0.0 .. he can be an insurance policy and trade bait at the same time...

Please explain to me how Ricky is trade bait. The man has professed that he has 2 years left in him for 4,000 yards (cough cough bullsh*t) ........... who wants to trade for someone who doesn't even want to play after next season?

Anyone who thinks we'll ever get anything for Ricky Retirement is massively fooling themselves.

enigmatics said:
Please explain to me how Ricky is trade bait. The man has professed that he has 2 years left in him for 4,000 yards (cough cough bullsh*t) ........... who wants to trade for someone who doesn't even want to play after next season?

Anyone who thinks we'll ever get anything for Ricky Retirement is massively fooling themselves.
Considering how much of a washout he looks like right now, I tend to agree.

Would you say that someone whoe ran the ball 300+ times and 280+ times the year before, knows how to find the hole, read defenses, punch throught the gap? Could that person then pass on that knowledge to a rookie RB?

Yes, yes, yes, and YES. For ricky to pass on any help and take some load off of Ronnie makes him totally worth it. Ronnie has never been a featured single back so this is a good chance to slide him into the situation (except the fact that hes all allone first 4 games). I'm all about the knowledge transfer as it is a bit of help that you can't just get anywhere. A coach can't teach you the feel of the game. A player can't teach you an objective view of the game from outside his role. Ricky serving as a mentor will bridge that gap. If ricky runs 1 yard and teaches ronnie how to do it right then I'll welcome him back. I do expect that ronnie and Ricky will both do much better.

Oh and for the ypc.. I don't care if its 0.1 per carry as long as at the end of the fourth quarter we have more points then them.

Whats this statement all about? (Espn)Remember the Ricky Williams of 2003? He suffered through a six-week stretch when he never hit 100 yards. In three different games, he couldn't even gain 40 yards. He dropped from an average of 4.8 yards per carry in 2002 to 3.5 yards per carry in 2003.

Did he NOT watch ANY of the games. When you have a QB as bad as we did, a OL coach as bad as we had, and on top of that a head coach who couldnt pull his head out of his @ss, SUREEE your purduction is going to sky rocket! Rigghht Stack 8 in the box with any running back in the league and I dare them to average 4 yards a carry.

But he did make some good points in terms of the over use of a back, that's a lot carries in two years, I'm suprise Ricky didn't get injured..maybe that year off may do his body some good and some much needed rest and healing. Man that many hits may have driven to smoking the weed..I doubt it, but then again I'm not being pounded by 250 + men at full speed.

msg said:
that article is hardly fair and balanced.. lol.
The writer, Aaron Schatz, responded to comments about the article. When one comment said
"You guys just love finally being able to pile on the Dolphins, don’t you?"

Aaron responded with:
"To address Richie’s comment, by the way, I’ve gotten similar mail from another fan of a different team and I just want to make it clear – we don’t like to pile on any team in particular. We criticize players and personnel moves we don’t think are good, and we support players and personnel moves we do think are good. Criticisms of the “7-0 alignment†are not really directed, for example, at the signing of Kevin Carter, or the presence of Jason Taylor. It is a criticism of the fact that Saban has ignored large holes on the team to concentrate on defensive line depth. Which isn’t really a criticism if Saban accepts that he will lose in 2005, then finish filling the holes next off-season to build a juggernaut for 2006."

WARNING: There are a lot of Fin Haters that responded to that article.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/articles.php?p=2650

and espn hired this guy......sh*t, i could've done a better job than that! maybe i should call their HR department and see if i can be hired to write an article about how bad of a reporter he is!

This part made me laugh:

Saban has been snapping up every defensive lineman on the free agent market in preparation for his revolutionary new 7-0 alignment

SCall13 said:
This coming from a guy who likes the Transformers. :shakeno:

What does that have anything to do with the his opinion? Just plain ignorant.

SCall13 said:
I'm not a Ricky hugger. I hate what he did to our team last year. But I do know that he can help this team. That's all that matters to me: Wins for the Dolphins. The article was a single point of view that Ricky haters cream over. But the same ones that hate him will still love to see him bust a 50 something yard game clinching TD against teams like the Jets and Bills.

Again, this is not factual. Ricky hasn't even reported to camp yet and has alot of physical conditioning to go thru, not to mention mental condition once he starts getting hit again. "Well you will all see when he runs a 50 yard blah blah blah", THAT'S NOT PROOF OF ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!. That doesn't win arguments. Your blind faith does not solve the present situation. In fact you know what it reminds of me, Eddie George. Cowboys fans were singing the same song when they aquired him last year.

SCall13 said:
It's the same with me. I don't like Feeley AT ALL. But if he starts, I will pull for him to do well and cheer when he throws a TD pass.
What it boils down to is this: Regardless of what we, the fans want, Saban will do what he sees fit to help this team win. If he views RW as a help, he'll be in uniform. And I think Saban feels Ricky will help us. I agree. Also, if RWs teammates are ready to accept him back, then that's what really matters. What us fans think, one way or the other, doesn't matter at all. And it looks to me like his team mates are ready to give him the benefit of the doubt and take him back.

His "teammates." So, all the men on the roster have gone on record saying they'd accept him back? There have been a few, but would anything less than 100% be acceptable especially when considering this new Patriot-esque team concept you all having been shoving down this boards throat with the hiring of Nick Saban? I can tell yourself and many others are privy to just blindly follow Nick Saban, invoking that "he knows more than we do" or the "It's our team we must support anything he does." FYI you can be skeptical and still support. Where was your blind loyalty in Wanny if you're just supposed to support the coach and the team with no questions asked? Again, stupid argumentation.

SCall13 said:
What I don't get is the hypocrisy when it comes to Ricky and D. Boston. David Boston was taking NFL banned substances. He was doing it knowingly and risking being suspended by the league. Had he not gotten injured, he WOULD have been suspended by the league, which would essentially been the same thing as walking out on his team because he knew what he was doing was going to get him suspended. yet, most of the people on the board who trash RW, welcomed Boston back with open arms. Yes, there are some differences -but there are quite a few similarities as well.

Between drugs and oddballs, there's nothing else. Boston was a model player in our camp last year before getting hurt. Not to mention we gave up virtually nothing to get the man. We were trying to resurrect a career with him. Ricky on the otherhand was the lone pillar of this team besides it's defense. We gave up a ton to get him. A loss of Boston was going to have nowhere near the impact of a Ricky Williams. We didn't even know what kind of player we were going to get in Boston. Regardless, Boston has never helped to create the debacle you saw last season. Boston has never been the butt of a thousand television jokes. Boston has never been the reason our team was hounded by the media frenzy/distraction that ensued when Ricky left, but couldn't stay out of the headlines. Boston's never been a distraction to us.

Trust me, I understand completely the idea of having the RB committee so that we don't burn out Ronnie. How realistic can that possibly be? Why not try to achieve the same with Ronnie, Gordon, Morris and possibly Kay-Jay? I thought we weren't going to throw ourselves on the mantle of "win now?" .......let's develop. We don't need to be digging thru the remains of the Wanny tenure.

awing_pilot said:
Would you say that someone whoe ran the ball 300+ times and 280+ times the year before, knows how to find the hole, read defenses, punch throught the gap? Could that person then pass on that knowledge to a rookie RB?

Yes, yes, yes, and YES. For ricky to pass on any help and take some load off of Ronnie makes him totally worth it. Ronnie has never been a featured single back so this is a good chance to slide him into the situation (except the fact that hes all allone first 4 games). I'm all about the knowledge transfer as it is a bit of help that you can't just get anywhere. A coach can't teach you the feel of the game. A player can't teach you an objective view of the game from outside his role. Ricky serving as a mentor will bridge that gap. If ricky runs 1 yard and teaches ronnie how to do it right then I'll welcome him back. I do expect that ronnie and Ricky will both do much better.

Oh and for the ypc.. I don't care if its 0.1 per carry as long as at the end of the fourth quarter we have more points then them.

C'mon man. Do you honestly see the introvert Ricky Williams as a teacher?

I don't like the article, but He is on the something with How Ricky only had one good season. If you take out his 2002 stats Ricky averaged 3.6 yards per carry, and something like 6 td's per year, even with his excellent 2002 campaign his average is 3.9, and like 8 td's per season. Not exactly jaw dropping, but I think a lot of people would be surprised to know these stats, when you think of him you think of an elite RB and a 4.5 YPC guy, and a TD machine. This is not necisarily the case, from the stat sheets at least he looks more like an average back who had one great season.

Back
Top Bottom