Merged: Saban considering trading up? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Saban considering trading up?

Hostile 17 said:
As for Vince Young, I want no part of him. He's never played in a pro style system and, like many running quarterbacks, looks confused when trying to find an open man. His first instinct is always to start running around. No thanks.

My dream scenario is that the Jets draft Young and we get to sweep them for the next four or five years running.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Hostile 17 said:
It is interesting that Cutler's hype express may be slowing now. That bodes well for anyone (like us) who's intersted in drafting him without over-paying.

As for Vince Young, I want no part of him. He's never played in a pro style system and, like many running quarterbacks, looks confused when trying to find an open man. His first instinct is always to start running around. No thanks.

My dream scenario is that the Jets draft Young and we get to sweep them for the next four or five years running. Vince Young is the Akili Smith of 2006.

What kind of system did Cutler play in? Didn't they just change his offense this year....what did he use before that?
If your looking a system type QB....better stick with Croyle. If your looking for the best natural talent and the person with the most ability...hope for Young.

fishypete said:
What kind of system did Cutler play in? Didn't they just change his offense this year....what did he use before that?
If your looking a system type QB....better stick with Croyle. If your looking for the best natural talent and the person with the most ability...hope for Young.

Cutler played in the option before this year which is much different than Young's shotgun "improvise" offense. No doubt that Young is a gifted athlete but personally I've never been a fan of running Qbs and he's as much of one as you can be.

This is the time of year that 'rumors' will be floating on every team...Last year at this time, we were sure to draft Smith because SF wasn't interested in him...

That said, Saban will go after someone. He'll have a veteran/potential starter by the seasons' start and a young gun sitting on the pine learning...Just my opinion, but going into the draft with the sole intent of trading up for Leinart, Young, Cutler (the ones that figure to be top 8-9 as of now) is not a chance that Saban will take. Whether Cutler is as good as where he appears to be now won't be determined until much later in the year, after the combine and individual workouts. I personally think that he either was swayed by RS or others on the staff as to AJs worth last year, or figured that he had to give AJ another shot beings we gave up a 2nd for him and it just didn't work out and then was stuck with Gus as the starter. He knew what Gus potential was...and then Gus went out and proved it...well, sorry I digress.....

Given our situation at QB, it just doesn't make sense that he'd take the chance going into the draft with just Gus as our option if things didn't work out in the draft...

On a side note, it would be kinda nice to have that #2 overall this year instead of last year, even tho I wouldn't trade RB back....

fishypete said:
I think the hype is already done....Croyle outplayed Cutler...and even if you don't believe that...you have to believe he played even with him...so does that make Cutler a top ten pick...not unless your on drugs. After the All Star Challenge and the combine...Cutler will fall to where he should have been all along...the 2nd round.
cutler is a project for a pro-style offense. croyle has been in one for years. i think a lot ofp eople expected croyle to play better, but he wasn't even that much better. cutler had some improvements over the week, so i think he's just getting started on his development. it was a very valuable week for him. but, if cutler is to go to the second round, then so should vince young, who is even more raw as a passer

Juan Cribbs said:
cutler is a project for a pro-style offense. croyle has been in one for years. i think a lot ofp eople expected croyle to play better, but he wasn't even that much better. cutler had some improvements over the week, so i think he's just getting started on his development. it was a very valuable week for him. but, if cutler is to go to the second round, then so should vince young, who is even more raw as a passer

Well said. Cutler really benefited from the switch to a pro-style offense this year. And as you said he's just getting started, once he masters the system and works on his mechanics/footwork he'll be unstoppable.

I dont think that he should trade up. After all, trading up that high in the draft may just well be way too expensive.
Maybe in order to trade up Ricky could be used as a potential draft bait???
I am not the expert, but trading up in the draft has lots of repercussions.

I would rather take best player available and see what happens in the latrer rounds.

CanadaFinFan said:
I am not the expert, but trading up in the draft has lots of repercussions.
Or it can turn your franchise around. You just have to be sure that the guy you trade up for is "the guy".

I know that this is a bad example, but I just cant get over the whole San Diego QB mess thay had with Ryan Leaf.

I know that Saban and Mueller are real intellegent guys, but that was just such a back breaker for that franchsie.

I know that Whitehurst had pretty good stats in the senior bowl but for some reason, I wasn't impressed with his throws. I'm no NFL scout but to me it seemed that Whitehurst seemed to throw soft, looping passes. Personally, I want a QB that is big, tall, and has a big arm.

I kinds feel the same way, he is the most intellegent person who knows the most about our team. He has surrounded himself with one of the best GM's in the business. Who knows what they are thinking about. For all we know they could be thinking about someone who we havent even thought about.

What about Omar Jacobs

He is the fourth ranked QB on most boards. He is a JR so he did not play in the senior bowl. Thus nobody is talking about him. He is better than Whitehust and Croyle in my opinion. This guy is big and is real accurate. 6ft 4in and 225. He had 41 td and 4 int his soph season. I hope the hype stays away from him and we can get him.

phinfan2003 said:
I know that Whitehurst had pretty good stats in the senior bowl but for some reason, I wasn't impressed with his throws. I'm no NFL scout but to me it seemed that Whitehurst seemed to throw soft, looping passes. Personally, I want a QB that is big, tall, and has a big arm.

I agree with that, Whitehurst puts way too much air under the long balls and not enough zip on the bullets. As far as the big guy with a great arm, I would prefer a bigger guy behind center but somehow I find myself enchanted by the possibility of Croyle in Miami, he needs to pack on some pounds but he is a smart player with a hell of an arm. He also handles pressure well

Back
Top Bottom