Merged: Saban considering trading up? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Saban considering trading up?

wyo said:
He is the fourth ranked QB on most boards. He is a JR so he did not play in the senior bowl. Thus nobody is talking about him. He is better than Whitehust and Croyle in my opinion. This guy is big and is real accurate. 6ft 4in and 225. He had 41 td and 4 int his soph season. I hope the hype stays away from him and we can get him.

I haven't seen much of him but I have seen those numbers in the sig of some poster here (I'm talking about his height, weight, and stats). I wonder what the big knock on him is (other than his youth) that have him rated a 4th round talent.

PassRush said:
I agree with that, Whitehurst puts way too much air under the long balls and not enough zip on the bullets. As far as the big guy with a great arm, I would prefer a bigger guy behind center but somehow I find myself enchanted by the possibility of Croyle in Miami, he needs to pack on some pounds but he is a smart player with a hell of an arm. He also handles pressure well

My only concern with Croyle is that Alabama wasn't really known for it's offense. That may not have been his fault but I remember seeing them play in games where FG's is pretty much what the offense could muster.

dominizzo said:
Saban is playing master mind games Remember when he said he was gonna select Braylon Edwards!!!! Hes making the Media go crazy

What exactly would the point of that be?

phinfan2003 said:
I know that Whitehurst had pretty good stats in the senior bowl but for some reason, I wasn't impressed with his throws. I'm no NFL scout but to me it seemed that Whitehurst seemed to throw soft, looping passes. Personally, I want a QB that is big, tall, and has a big arm.

Umm that's Whitehurst :sidelol:

This is good news if its true. We're way past due for a good young QB. Go get him Nick!

When was the last time the Fins moved up in the draft(if ever)

Dolphins | Saban may look to trade up in the NFL Draft
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:45:15 -0800

Barry Jackson, of the Miami Herald, reports an NFL person in contact with Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban expects Miami to aggressively explore moving up from 16th in the draft to select a quarterback, which will be very difficult. That person said Saban would be willing to open next season with QB Gus Frerotte if he can somehow achieve his goal of moving up.

This doesn't make sense. The only QB we'd have a shot of trading up to get would be Cutler, and there's no telling if he'll go top 10, 15, 20. Some sites (Draft Countdown) have him at a reach at 16, others have him going top 10.

Young and Leinart are likely off the board by pick 6. We're not trading all the way up there (at least I'd bet heavily against it...). Unless Leinart slides to 10ish (unlikely IMO) in which case I'd jump on that REALLY quickly.

move up one spot in the first round to get vernon carey while giving up a 4th round pick to vikings. even though the vikings weren't going for him. stupid rick.

I really don't remember. If it did it must have been the early years of the franchise when I was just a toddler and had no idea what football was.

Aside from the deperate need for a QB, we're at a pretty good position in the draft. The salary's good, and we can catch someone slipping. I'd like to be at about 12, but 16's a nice slot. Plus, we will probably have a shot at one of the following 5: Huff, Justice, Jimmy Williams, Cutler, Greenway. Any of those players would be a steal at that pick, IMO.

Cannonboy said:
I really don't remember. If it did it must have been the early years of the franchise when I was just a toddler and had no idea what football was.

i sure as heck dont remember seeing that im only 14, im not sure if even have, we might have though

death7star said:
move up one spot in the first round to get vernon carey while giving up a 4th round pick to vikings. even though the vikings weren't going for him. stupid rick.

yeah, that was the last time I think. What a boneheaded move

I loved the 2005 draft and think Saban made a lot of wise choices. It seems Miami finally has a scouting team that does their homework. Whoever Nick Saban decides to go with in the first round I'm sure will make an impact for years to come.

PhinPhreak said:
Barry Jackson, of the Miami Herald, reports an NFL person in contact with Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban expects Miami to aggressively explore moving up from 16th in the draft to select a quarterback, which will be very difficult.

I would expect Saban to agressively pursue anything that he would think would improve the team. How likely he is to actually achieve such a trade, however, is another question.

HysterikiLL said:
"Nolan has control of personnel decisions with the 49ers, and there has been speculation he might be willing to trade down from the No. 7 spot. The Dolphins might be interested in that spot if a quarterback, such as Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt, were available.
Williams, who has expressed a desire to play on the West Coast and has a sister who works in San Francisco, is one of the strongest pieces of trade bait the Dolphins might have to get from No. 16 to a higher position in the draft."

Very interesting that we could trade our 1st and Ricky for a higher 1st. I wonder if that article was written before the senior bowl, because I wouldn't want to spend our first and Ricky to effectively land Jay Cutler. I'd prefer trading with someone else and trying to land Hawk.
IMO this is the team we have the greatest chance to trade up with unless their coaching staff fell in love with DeAngelo Williams at the Senior Bowl. Ricky would be a great 1-2 with Gore, but they might also be willing to do the trade for picks, which is what I would prefer.

Back
Top Bottom