Merged: Shifting Gears: Croyle, Whitehurst, and...McNeal | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Shifting Gears: Croyle, Whitehurst, and...McNeal

The thing with mcneal is not necassarly regarding his talent, i understand he has a rocket arm, but as a qb prospect i dont see him any more talented(at his position) then randle-el was a few drafts ago. If he stays at his qb position i see him as a Senaca Wallace type player who will make an impact on a team and stay around, but wont be a strong qb as far as a franshice type guy, if ever, it wont be many years down the road. Having Mularky is a plus considering what he did with kordell, but i think saban, mularky and the rest of the coaching staff would prefer more of a well rounded prospect like omar jacobs, and obviously some other guys that you mentioned.

Lazy1 said:
The thing with mcneal is not necassarly regarding his talent, i understand he has a rocket arm, but as a qb prospect i dont see him any more talented(at his position) then randle-el was a few drafts ago. If he stays at his qb position i see him as a Senaca Wallace type player who will make an impact on a team and stay around, but wont be a strong qb as far as a franshice type guy, if ever, it wont be many years down the road. Having Mularky is a plus considering what he did with kordell, but i think saban, mularky and the rest of the coaching staff would prefer more of a well rounded prospect like omar jacobs, and obviously some other guys that you mentioned.

One very big factor in the Randle-El and Seneca Wallace to WR moves is height. Seneca is less than 6 feet, and so is Antwaan. Randle-El in particular would have been kept at QB if he were 6'2" like Reggie McNeal is. And besides to my knowledge Seneca is still the Seahawks' primary backup QB.

Why do you think Darrell Hackney is falling so far? That 5'11" measurement is KILLING him in the scouts eyes.

Reggie McNeal showed pure passing skills at the Shrine Game. That is what drew my eyes. He did everything a QB is supposed to do, and I mean everything. He drew safeties away from his target with his eyes, he progressed through multiple reads (up to 3 or 4 reads), he showed significant ball placement skills and timing, he even made excellent use of a hard count to draw the defensive linemen offsides twice in his first touchdown drive, and then of course he showed off that tremendous arm (an Elway-like arm...yes that good).

He put on a clinic of what a passer is supposed to be. His first down runs helped, but they are not the reason he was so impressive.

Just like to confirm, Senaca Wallace is the Seahawk primary back up. He was used as wide reciever because due to injuries to the Seahawk wide recievers Senaca was used as a scout team wide receiver in practices. Apperently he ran that route so well in practice that it constinatly burned the starting cornerbacks of the Seahawks. According to the story Matt has been lobbying for months to use Senaca in a game on that route and they finally did.

Which by the way was really cool.

From watching today's practice, I can tell you that Croyle's stock is rising very fast.

All this talk about Brodie Croyle's frame (or lack thereof) is ridiculous considering that that was the same thing scouts said about Tom Brady. Plus, the talk has been that Croyle has a strong arm, which is something no one ever said about Brady. I think we would foolish to pass on this guy in a later round. I don't see Saban trading away picks to move up, so a QB in the later rounds is more realistic. I think Croyle will be our man.

Excellent read, especially on McNeal. If he can keep up his good performance leading into the draft, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him gone well before our pick in the 3rd.

The point is that 3rd round pick is starting to look perfect for picking a QB.

Jaj said:
The point is that 3rd round pick is starting to look perfect for picking a QB.
Not necessarliy. Croyle has been impressive at the Senior Bowl practices and probably won't be there at our pick in the third. If we want him we may have to take him in the second. Whitehurst and McNeal will probably be there, but Whitehurst is not a guarantee.

CK, once again...you're the man!!!
I too watched the Shrine all start game, and taped it...I was so impressed with Reggie's performance that I watched the game a second time, concentrating in McNeil's play. Your observation is right on. The kid put on a clinic....unbelivable performance! And like you said, not only with his running abilities, but with the way he conducted himself in the pocket. The awareness, the desicision-making, the confidence. I really believe that he is now around the 3rd rd, as is Jacobs.
The way I see things now this is the orer im predicting the top Qbs will be taken:

1st RD: Leinehart, Young, Cutler( The cat is out of the bag, he wont be there at #16)
2nd RD: Croyle(late first RD? to mid 2nd), Whitehurst(late 2nd to mid 3rd)
3rd RD: Jacobs, McNeil ( with their physical tools these 2 can really do good in the combines and maybe move to the second RD).

If like I predict, Cutler wont be there with our 1st pick, I would be happy with any one of the other 4 remaining QB's.

Ck -

It was so nice, you posted it twice.....:D

Good read, good info....I cant wait to find out which QB and what round Saban goes with.

I have watched Whitehurst a lot. He makes poor decisions and has an average arm. If we picked him before the 5th round it would be a horrible mistake.

I thought McNeal would have a big year at A&M, but he got hurt and missed some time. I've seen him listed at like 6'2, but was always skeptical, does anyone know what he measured in at?

SammySmif said:
I have watched Whitehurst a lot. He makes poor decisions and has an average arm. If we picked him before the 5th round it would be a horrible mistake.

Whitehurst has anything but an average arm. He doesn't have the same rocket that Cutler does, but his arm is well above average.

I agree that the 3rd is shaping up to be a good round to take either Croyle, McNeal, or Whitehurst. I do not share the opinion that we should think about Jacobs in the 3rd. I see him lasting at least until the 4th...or at least, I would not take a shot on him until the 4th, and I might shy away from it period.

djfresh47 said:
I thought McNeal would have a big year at A&M, but he got hurt and missed some time. I've seen him listed at like 6'2, but was always skeptical, does anyone know what he measured in at?

We will have to wait and see at the Combine. I don't know if they did official measurements at the East-West game. I was looking at him close in the huddle and as he approached the line of scrimmage, and his helmet level seemed to be at or at least very close to the same level as all of his OL except for the tall tackles. He definitely towared over any RB, and was as tall as or taller than most WRs. He looked a solid 6'2" to me...about 2 inches taller than Vick. If they measured him at the Combine I bet he comes out right close to 6'2" even.

Back
Top Bottom