Merged:Source: Peterson expected to budge/ Surtain deal close? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged:Source: Peterson expected to budge/ Surtain deal close?

Yes. Ben Troupe was off the board, but Chris Cooley and Ben Hartsock were both available when KC drafted Wilson.

I am starting to remember a little on Wilson and I definitely wouldn't close the door on him yet, but judging from first year contribution, they would have done well to consider Cooley.

The Chiefs are going to budge very soon. Warfield is an above-average #2 CB and he's facing a 4 game suspension. I'm laughing at the Chiefs for even thinking Saban would trade Surtain for a 4th.

I think we will get a second rounder for Surtain and then we will keep our first round pick and draft Ronnie Brown. I like the kid from Akron, Charlie Frey, I heard the scouts really like this kid, he has a cannon for an arm and can make all the necessary throws and should be a future star in this league. They compared him to Brett Favre for his toughness and leadership abilities, not to mention the strong throwing arm. :cooldude:

I disagree about Warfield. I think Dexter McCleon is the best CB they have. They need one, maybe two more corners to make that group decent. Add Surtain and all the sudden you've got McCleon and Surtain starting, with Warfield or Bartee in at nickel. It's not terrible. I like Julian Battle too, tho his fortunes will be made as a safety eventually (IMO).

I don't think Peterson will budge soon as the reports indicate. I expect it to take right up until the draft for him to blink. Perhaps even during the draft, and possibly right up to when the Chiefs pick at #15.

Peterson would be a fool to wait until #46 to ask Saban about trading it for Surtain, because Saban would likely up the price, depending on what Peterson did at #15 (if he didn't select a CB, he knows Carl is screwed if Nick says no to the Surtain trade).

If I had to take a guess, I think a trade will happen the day before the draft.

ckparrothead said:
I disagree about Warfield. I think Dexter McCleon is the best CB they have. They need one, maybe two more corners to make that group decent. Add Surtain and all the sudden you've got McCleon and Surtain starting, with Warfield or Bartee in at nickel. It's not terrible. I like Julian Battle too, tho his fortunes will be made as a safety eventually (IMO).

I don't think Peterson will budge soon as the reports indicate. I expect it to take right up until the draft for him to blink. Perhaps even during the draft, and possibly right up to when the Chiefs pick at #15.

Peterson would be a fool to wait until #46 to ask Saban about trading it for Surtain, because Saban would likely up the price, depending on what Peterson did at #15 (if he didn't select a CB, he knows Carl is screwed if Nick says no to the Surtain trade).

If I had to take a guess, I think a trade will happen the day before the draft.

CK you need to update your football knowledge a bit on the Chiefs CB situation. Dexter McCleon performed very poorly and didn't play well in the Chiefs system. He is not their best corner by a longshot.

To tell you the truth, between Charlie Frye, David Greene, and Jason Campbell, and heck even Adrian McPherson, there's some good second-tier QBs in this draft. I don't think this fact has escaped Nick's attention either. If you'll notice, we've been paying good attention to all of the QBs in this draft, not just Smith and Rodgers. If you trade Surtain for a pick in the 2nd round, which allows us to take a DT, then I think you watch out because we could end up taking a QB in the third, whoever falls among Frye, Greene, McPherson, and Campbell. I don't like Orton anymore. If I had to rate the QBs, they would be...

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Alex Smith
3. David Greene
4. Charlie Frye
5. Jason Campbell
6. Adrian McPherson
7. Andrew Walter
8. Kyle Orton
9. Gino Giudugli
10. Dan Orlovsky

CK you need to update your football knowledge a bit on the Chiefs CB situation. Dexter McCleon performed very poorly and didn't play well in the Chiefs system. He is not their best corner by a longshot.

I update myself on everyone's situation quite frequently. You have your opinion, I have mine. I've seen the stats, I've seen them play, I believe McCleon is the CB with better skills than Warfield. Will he beat out Warfield for the 2nd CB position? Maybe not, that's up to their DC. But it doesn't change my mind on the matter.

Tell ya the truth if I were KC I would be jumping at the opportunity to give up the 2nd rounder for Surtain, because then they'd be able to get their hands on Dan Cody at #15. His stock is weakening, IMO for all the wrong reasons. I've seen him play, I've seen him lead, and I think he's the next Jason Taylor out there. They need ends too. If they got Surtain and Cody in the first two rounds, picked up a WR in the 3rd round, they'd have the pieces in place to make a real run at the super bowl. I don't think they have the coaching, but the coaches will never admit that (hehe).

Very good news. Sounds like Peterson is finally coming to his senses(with a little help from the rest of the Chiefs organization) and we could have our 2nd rounder by next weekend. :D

As it should be, Surtain is of Superstar status and should be delt with that way. Notice how Surtain isn't acting like an a** just because a deal hasn't been struck yet? The guy exudes class on every level and whomever gets him should thank their lucky stars! I love the thought of what we can do with the 2nd we get from the trade and the future, but losing Surtain will suck no way around it. :cry:

ckparrothead said:
I update myself on everyone's situation quite frequently. You have your opinion, I have mine. I've seen the stats, I've seen them play, I believe McCleon is the CB with better skills than Warfield. Will he beat out Warfield for the 2nd CB position? Maybe not, that's up to their DC. But it doesn't change my mind on the matter.

McCleon had a good start on the 2003 season & dropped off. He was horrid in '04. You know not of what you speak

Does anyone think we may now use the 2nd round pick (if the trade goes through) on a running back and take braylon edwards with our first round pick. This could put more pressure on teams that are banking on our taking ronnie brown with the second pick. Should make for an interesting time leading up to the draft.

ckparrothead said:
To tell you the truth, between Charlie Frye, David Greene, and Jason Campbell, and heck even Adrian McPherson, there's some good second-tier QBs in this draft. I don't think this fact has escaped Nick's attention either. If you'll notice, we've been paying good attention to all of the QBs in this draft, not just Smith and Rodgers. If you trade Surtain for a pick in the 2nd round, which allows us to take a DT, then I think you watch out because we could end up taking a QB in the third, whoever falls among Frye, Greene, McPherson, and Campbell. I don't like Orton anymore. If I had to rate the QBs, they would be...

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Alex Smith
3. David Greene
4. Charlie Frye
5. Jason Campbell
6. Adrian McPherson
7. Andrew Walter
8. Kyle Orton
9. Gino Giudugli
10. Dan Orlovsky

I still think he will pick A Smith or R Brown

kris wilson

Hartsock isn't in the same class as Kris Wilson and Cooley isn't the big play threat that Wilson is when he's healthy. I follow all of college football religiously, just like my Phins, Yankees, and my 'Canes. If you watched all of the 'Canes games then you should've seen Kris Wilson when they played against us.

I have to admit that I was shocked when KC selected Wilson in the second round but he is a heck of a player and IF they plan to run more single back two tightend sets, then they'll have two excellent receiving TE's so teams would have to account for each of them as well Kennison, Morton, and Holmes. Play action out of that formation would be disaster for a defense if they didn't account for Wilson (the closest dual TE set comparison is probably when Indy had a healthy Ken Dilger and a young Marcus Pollard). Wilson is an excellent athlete so I could definately see KC using him at FB/H-back and exploiting the coverage match-up's.

As for Dexter McCleon, I think he's better then Eric Warfield but McCleon tends to suffer from concentration lapses from time to time. Warfield is nothing special but at least you know what you're going to get each and every play.

McCleon came to KC because he didn't want to play safety in St. Louis & reunties with DV. He had a great year in '03 but the reason he was to be moved to safety was becoming clearer towards the end of the year. Warfield didn't get thrown to much in '04 teams knew they could throw at will to the other side of the field. He along with Johnny Morton will more than likely be cap cuts after june 1st

edit:McCleon was brought in to be the nickleback, won a CB job because the drafted youngin's sucked

feelthepain said:
As it should be, Surtain is of Superstar status and should be delt with that way. Notice how Surtain isn't acting like an a** just because a deal hasn't been struck yet? The guy exudes class on every level and whomever gets him should thank their lucky stars! I love the thought of what we can do with the 2nd we get from the trade and the future, but losing Surtain will suck no way around it. :cry:

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't realized it but it's very true. Even after Saban said we'd keep Surtain and even franchise tag him next year he didn't utter a peep. This is very classy and almost unheard of in this league.

Back
Top Bottom