Merged: The Official Nnamdi Asomugha Thread | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: The Official Nnamdi Asomugha Thread

Why would any team ever throw the ball at any decent corners the raiders have? They are a terrible team with no strengths other than 1 player. Why test that one player when there are 10 others you know you can beat?

While I in no way want to "break the bank" for one player, Aso is by far the best CB in the league right now and with our schedule coming up, he would be invaluable to this team. We don't have the pass rushing ability of the Steelers or Ravens or Giants so we can't rely on steady pressure to force mistakes and turnovers. If we could lock him up for 4 or 5 years for 10-11 million per, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Of course he might demand even more than that so who knows.

I agree, plus we still have Joe Cohen in the mix as well. The Tuna doesn't like to draft NTs high, he likes to take late round or undrafted guys and develop them. The good thing is that Soliai started flashing some big time playmaking ability when they put him in. He just needs to get his head on straight.

I think you overrstate his big playmaking ability flashed but to each thier own. i dont think he is the answer at all, unless the question is dt's that do not spell Ferguson well enough.

While I in no way want to "break the bank" for one player, Aso is by far the best CB in the league right now and with our schedule coming up, he would be invaluable to this team. We don't have the pass rushing ability of the Steelers or Ravens or Giants so we can't rely on steady pressure to force mistakes and turnovers. If we could lock him up for 4 or 5 years for 10-11 million per, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Of course he might demand even more than that so who knows.

Wow, 10-11 per year, that's a little more than I had in mind..but I guess if you put guaranteed money, plus yearly salary, plus bonus it'd equal that amount..

He's only a cornerback, and would be too expensive for what his true value actually would be. We have much more immediate needs on this team such as nose tackle, possibly right tackle, center, wide receiver, and then cornerback. We can improve in the secondary for sure, but don't need to break the bank for one, honestly.

I used to really think elite corners were important, and certainly if you have one, it's a nice thing to have. But, the more I watch the really good defenses, the Giants of 07, last years ravens and Steelers, and titans, etc. they all have one thing in common. Decent corners for sure, and in the case of Baltimore, Ed Reed who's like from another planet, but what really makes those defenses great is:

1. You can't run on them

2. Disruptive at the line of scrimmage with their tackles and ends. In particular, their tackles. Albert haynesworth, Casey Hampton, Haloti Ngata anyone?

3. Incredible pass rushing and run stopping linebackers

The secondary is good, but probably looks better than they actually are because of the above 3 points.

Just because those teams won without great CBs, doesn't mean that great CBs don't win games. Just like secondaries benefit from a good front 7, the front 7 benefits from a good secondary.

This guy is worth any kind of money you throw at him. He's a young Champ Bailey. You very rarely get a shot at a dominating player in FA.

Which is why we won't get a shot at him. 3m over the cap is nothing. The Raiders will restructure a few contracts, cut a few players (do they have anyone worth keeping, anyway?) and they'll be fine.

NE doesn't have the cap do make that kind of a move...Even after they trade Cassel, they are still tight cap wise. If I'm not mistaken, Rodney Harrison is a FA, and if they want him back, well...

You get my point.

They could manage to make it happen...

Either by trade or free agency.

They could trade M. Cassel and get at least 1 first round pick. Then trade for him, they would have the cap space then.

or

They could sign him as a free agent. Any team can sign a player...if they really want him bad enough. They could give a huge signing bonus and backload the end of the contract for the heavy cap.

BUT...If they do get him, that will have a major effect on who they can RESIGN after the 2009 season. They have TON of talent hitting the market in 2010. Any large contract now will just make it even harder to keep the other players. (Wilfork, Seymour...etc.)

EITHER way I do not want to see him as a RAIDER. That would just suck, they have a confusing defense for most QB's as is, toss him into it and YIKES!!!

With Scrabble there is no "if the price is right". The right price is whatever he asks for. Surtain and Madison were hot ****, but Asomugha is radioactive. The only other guy I'd even think of advocating for that kind of money would be Otogwe, and then only because we really need a FS and he's probably the best young safety right now.

As for the guy who made the "ten other players" comment. Nice theory, but every now and then a QB would think that and throw Scrabble's way. Oops. Invariably picked off. Dunno about you, but I'd take Asomugha vs Moss and W. Allen vs Welker all day, every day. Hell, I'd put that tandem up against Fitz and Boldin.

Nnamdi Asomugha is feared by offensive coordinators and quarterbacks. Since I have been watching football (1972), I know of only one other cornerback that was feared: Dieon Sanders. He is not just a QB. The Raiders need to franchise him for a third and final time. They should drop two starting caliber players to keep him. One of the primary reasons their defense played well last year is that Nnamdi is a true SHUTDOWN CORNER. By the way, neither Madison nor Surtain were true shutdown corners.

They messed that up totally. Its amazing they cut Hall but Washington wants to sign him to a multiple year deal. You dont make that trade then cut a guy midseason. Was he struggling, yes but he is still a good NFL cornerback and made a good impression in short time with the Redskins.
I agree, plus the fact that he was getting targeted like 40 times a game compared to his teammate's two times a game (or fewer) will make your stats look terrible by comparison. For example, if we get Nnamdi, a lot of people will hate Will Allen for the same reason.

I think you overrstate his big playmaking ability flashed but to each thier own. i dont think he is the answer at all, unless the question is dt's that do not spell Ferguson well enough.
Soliai is one of those guys that has a ton of talent but needs to get his head out of his butt. Traditionally Parcells doesn't draft NTs high. He develops guys over time. That's why he extended Ferguson. Hopefully Soliai can get it together, which I think is what they are counting on.

With Scrabble there is no "if the price is right". The right price is whatever he asks for. Surtain and Madison were hot ****, but Asomugha is radioactive. The only other guy I'd even think of advocating for that kind of money would be Otogwe, and then only because we really need a FS and he's probably the best young safety right now.

As for the guy who made the "ten other players" comment. Nice theory, but every now and then a QB would think that and throw Scrabble's way. Oops. Invariably picked off. Dunno about you, but I'd take Asomugha vs Moss and W. Allen vs Welker all day, every day. Hell, I'd put that tandem up against Fitz and Boldin.
I agree. Remember the Carolina game when the first time they threw to Steve Smith it was picked off and they stopped throwing to him.

Well thats great of Zach but seriously if you are a football player and you need a job you go where its best for you. The dolphins showed no loyalty to Zach so he owes them nothing as far as not playing for this team or that. I do find it great that players like Zach and Dan who were basically let go do have some kinship towards the fans even though the organization has basically thrown them out with the trash.

I don't agree. I believe Zach was let go freely out of respect. BP could have pushed for at least a late round draft pick, esp from Dallas. He didn't.

I blame Wanny for Dan. Especially because of who was put in to replace him.

I still think Oakland will end up franchising him.

Right now they literally cannot. They'll have to cut a bunch of players to do it and will then be undermanned everywhere. I don't think there's any realistic way the Raiders tag Asomugha, not if they want to field a team.

Back
Top Bottom