Merged: The Official Nnamdi Asomugha Thread | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: The Official Nnamdi Asomugha Thread

Raiders have resigned their #2 CB Chris Johnson to a contract. Don't have the details, but hes locked up. May be good news for anyone (including the phins) who may be targeting Aso.

while I agree with you, I remember how many sacks Madison and Surtain helped Jason taylor get. That hesitation that a QB takes with a shutdown corner gives the DL just that extra second to get there. So many times this year the DL was just a half step from the sack when the QB let the ball go because of a breakdown in coverage.. While I agree a good DL with blitzes can cause havoc, even the steelers had a hard time with the Cardinals in the SB, and the Champs had the number 1 D. But if they had a shut down corner to stop Fitz.. that would have really made their jobs easier.. With Moss in our division it would be nice to not worry about him and then stop Welker.. Same with Evans in Buffalo, and Cole in NY.. that would reduce a lot of problems on D. Then we could concentrate on their secondary weapons to shut them down.. I know with the Cards you have Fritz and Boldin and that's really hard to shut down..but if you can take one away, that leaves 3 guys to shut down the other.. But as you say and our D told us all year long, it starts with shutting down the run..and I believe that too.. but NE put up 400 yards with their backup QB, the KC had a Field day, the Jet's in the first game, Denver put up 300, thank God their D couldn't stop us from running when it was cruch time, and Houston cost us, when we couldn't handle a 4th and 13 with a DB right there...so I see us needing one good CB..and a 5-7 million a year salary.. and he's the only FA corner I'd spend that kind of money for.. If robinson and a couple others get out there..sure, but not at that price..
i don't think you can shut down Fitz, you maybe able to slow hi down a bit but to shut him down... i don't think so... if Warner comes back he'll tear up the NFL next year...the only thing that would hold him back is if the OL and QB don't give him time to to make his break...

i still dont see it happening, even if he is not franchised i dont see us giving the biggest D contract in NFL history to a skill player. even if he diserves it. (boy i hope im wrong)

He is the only potential free agent that I would absolutely break the bank for. I would basically hand the man a blank check.

IMO there is no defensive player in the league right now that has a greater impact on the opposing team. You can always scheme for 2-3 guys to take away an important weapon of the other offense, but for a single person to do it is IMO worth the price.

It be nice to get Nnambi but at what price!!!!!!

"nice" so you know who you are talking about? n o offense, but the price you are reffering to would be a D player record, which honestly he would deserve, high character guy, young, and is miles better than all the past years best cb- Samuel, Hall ect.

We all knew it was going to happen. I was more upset to hear they resigned Chris Johnson. I was hoping to take a shot at getting him.

i feel strongly that Brown, Dansby, Otogwe and Suggs will also follow this pattern. the only ones i am really upset about are Otogwe and Brown. Dansby will be overpayed by someone, unless he is franchised, and suggs is good, mabey even a little underrated, but free agency always seems to overpay.

"The Raiders have said that they will use the franchise tag on Nnamdi Asomugha, but must do it before Feb. 19. Asomugha figures that he will have to wait until the last minute, just like last year"

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/12/raiders-expected-to-lock-up-secondary/

not concrete but i figured that much. dont shoot the messenger.

that quote has been floating around for the last week or two. there's still a small chance as the raiders are in cap hell with al bundy signing those rediculous contracts with guaranteed money. i honestly think he is going senile.

All it really says is that he thinks it will happen. It's entirely possible that he doesn't know their current cap situation. They really can't afford to tag him as of right now.

I agree the reflex reaction here is to say "crap."

BUT harkening back to the Pace situation and adding the perspective that there'd be few teams who wouldn't want one of the rare shut-down CBs, if we couldn't get him, I'd rather he stay put with the hapless Raiders than sign with one of our divisional if not conference opponents. So maybe it's not so bad for the Fins that he gets franchised.

If there intention was to use the tag on him, why wait this long? They should have used the tag by now if they were so sure they were gonna use the tag on him, I'll believe it when it's done.

Back
Top Bottom