((Merged))Tony Sparano has been fired. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

((Merged))Tony Sparano has been fired.

Schefter: Dolphins selected Todd Bowles as their interim head coach

good choice. Bowles is a very good position coach, and is a guy who is always a contender to be a head coach in the league.

But here is my thoughts on Sparano's downfall.

He was too scared of making a mistake. Chad Henne was far from good for us, but if you are going to have him as your starting QB, you have to trust him to make a few throws during the game, and he didn't do it. He was constantly playing for the FG as he feared a turnover if he went for the touchdown. He constantly overthought coaching moves and would end up getting himself out coached.

Now Tony could motivate a team. That much you have to give him, but he was too reactive in making changes rather than being proactive. Making changes to the coaching staff only happened when it became evident his job was on the line, and he was constantly tinkering with the OL. People say our OL was poor but let's look at the starting lineups we've had..

Year 1
Jake Long-Justin Smiley-Samson Satele-Donald Thomas (Ike Ndukwe)-Vernon Carey. Donald Thomas got hurt week 1. Before we settled on Ike Ndukwe (2 or 3 weeks later) we tried Mike McChessney and Evan Mathis at RG. Even then, our run game was dominant.

Year 2
Jake Long-Justin Smiley-Jake Grove-Donald Thomas-Vernon Carey. OL started off strong, but injuries took their toll on Smiley and Grove, and Thomas struggled at time. Mitch Berger and Nate Garner filled in (mostly Garner), but the OL was still okay.

Year 3
Jake Long-Ritchie Incognito-Mitch Berger-Pat McQuistan (John Jerry)- Vernon Carey (Lydon Murtha). Jerry suffered illness and loss a lot of weight resulting in Paul McQuistan starting. Smiley and Grove were let go for cheaper options. Carey got hurt and Murtha filled in, wasn't terrible. Jake played most of the season with a separated shoulder.

Year 4
Jake Long-Ritchie Incognito-Mike Pouncey-Vernon Carey-Marc Columbo. Yet another set of mass changes to the OL. Jake has struggled coming back from injuries and missing preseason, Carey moved to RG and has struggled at times, and my 6 year old brother would be a better RT than Columbo.

So in all 4 seasons under Tony, we've had a different center, and usually 2 or 3 new starters on the OL. That's my biggest complaint. Lack on continuity.

Tony could have been a good head coach if he was willing to take risks. He was not willing to do that. We never had the threat of a big play in the passing game, and our offenses were predictable. Tony also really struggled making in game adjustments after the planned plays he had gameplanned (and to be fair to Tony, we normally came out strong, so his prepicked plays weren't bad)

Hank Goldberg reporting on Alzagarry :

Peterson will have role of finding new coach, and Ireland will have "lesser" role. Sounds like they are looking for a "strong" head coach......

Did anyone see Tony's page on Wikipedia?

On December 12, 2011, Sparano was fired from the Miami Dolphins as head coach, and will be replaced by Todd Bowles. Sparano is expected to join an NFL Team as a Field Goal Celebration Coordinator.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like Ross felt like I did earlier after the Haley firing. If you are going after the big names you want to make a move with Sparano soon.

on december 12, 2011, sparano was fired from the miami dolphins as head coach, and will be replaced by todd bowles. Sparano is expected to join an nfl team as a field goal celebration coordinator.

lol !

Did anyone see Tony's page on Wikipedia?

On December 12, 2011, Sparano was fired from the Miami Dolphins as head coach, and will be replaced by Todd Bowles. Sparano is expected to join an NFL Team as a Field Goal Celebration Coordinator.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol2:I like that. It is appropriate.

Say what you want, but it's hard for me to rag on the guy who presided over the most exciting Dolphin season in the last 25 years...

Back
Top Bottom