MERGED: Travis Daniels Picked 4th Round | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Travis Daniels Picked 4th Round

where did you see daniels grade??? can you hook me up please

Every year during the draft you gets these clowns that come out of the woodwork and do nothing but bash the picks. That's just what they enjoy doing every year. It's also the only time of year they can come out and say a players sucks without having to have any proof....

I notice none of them actually state "why" they think this player sucks, they just say he sucks, and nothing more. No evidence what so ever, and no interest in making a hard case. It's pure lack of football knowledge that leads these individuals into making these ridiculous statements in my opinion....

It's all "names" to these types of people. Names don't make the player....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

VaDolphan said:
I went by CNNSI's rating. What publications have him being a 3rd?

Here's what I read:

BIO: Moved in with the first unit as a junior and has started 26 consecutive games. Posted 48/0/9 as a senior after a career-high 58 tackles and two interceptions the prior campaign.

POSITIVES: Well-built cornerback who can be used in press or zone coverage. Fluid turning his hips off the line, physical throughout the action and uses his frame to box opponents from the play. Reads the receivers eyes, quickly breaks on the pass and quick getting a hand in to deflect the throw. Comes up the field to support the run and likes to mix it up. Displays good hands for the pick.

NEGATIVES: Late reactor who freely lets opponents release from the line of scrimmage and immediately loses a half a step off the snap. Not decisive, quick out of his backpedal and hesitant when the ball is in the air. Does more hitting than actual wrap up tackling.

ANALYSIS: A cornerback prospect with excellent physical skills, Daniels must fine-tune the rough edges of his game to meet the expectations scouts have of him. Has experience at safety and could eventually develop into a center fielder at the next level.

PROJECTION: Early Fifth Round

HELLO?

I just like how everyone talks about what we need as if we're drafting Day 1 starters at every round in the draft.

I just hate how alot of people who probably never heard of the guy think they can judge him better than someone who recruited him and saw him every day in college. This guy was a key player on a defense that won a national title. Saban knows what he's doing.

Hostile7 said:
4.4 is pretty slow...

I emailed Scott Wright (the owner of nfldraftcountdown.com) awhile back to find out more information on him. He thought he was a vvery good player who owuld shoot up the board. Sure enough he had a very good pro day and was considered a 3rd round pick.

I guess his speed is the issue. Apparently he ran in the 4.6 range at the combine or some other workout and then did a second workout where he got that down to 4.5. I haven't heard the 4.4 you mentioned.

I am not against the guy I am just passing on info that I have come accross.

Boomer said:
Well Kiper is on ESPN and said he was a 2/3. Anyone who said 6/7 is a dope, plain and simple who should stick to evaluating swingball.

Some of these responses, mostly from people who have never seen Daniels play, is nigh on ridiculous.

Here is what they said:

Travis Daniels
CB | (6'0
clear.gif
", 194, 4.63) | LOUISIANA STATE

Scouts Grade: 49

Flags: (M: MENTAL) Does not retain and learn the system(S: SPEED) Player lacks ideal speed at position Selected by: Miami Dolphins
Round: 4
Pick (Overall): 3(104) View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag
clear.gif
| All Ranked Players
clear.gif
| NFL Draft History You are signed into Insider
clear.gif
and have access to the exclusive draft content below.
Strengths: Has very good size and the frame to get even bigger. Has a little bit of experience at FS and it might ultimately be a better position for him in the NFL. His instincts and awareness continue to improve. He does a good job of using his long arms and wide wingspan to smother receivers at the LOS. He has good quickness when coming forward out of his pedal and he uses his long arms to bat a lot of passes down. He has good leaping ability, long arms and shows the ability to consistently take away the fade route and jump ball. He also has developed into a physical run supporter. Has good size and is aggressive when filling off the edge. Has some versatility due to experience at DC and DS.

Weaknesses: His marginal speed is his biggest physical weakness. He can protect himself in college, but will be unable to consistently turn and run with faster receivers in the NFL. Plays a little bit too high and doesn't always show great leverage in his pedal. He doesn't have great burst out of his pedal and his hips are somewhat stiff when he's forced to turn and run. Most of his experience is in man-coverage but he likely will have to play in a zone scheme that protects him deep at the next level. Also concerns regarding his mental capacity.

Overall: Daniels played sparingly as a true freshman in 2001 and a little bit more as a sub-package cornerback in 2002, but his development as a sophomore was hampered by a nagging hamstring injury. He was moved to safety in the spring of 2003 but was allowed to move back to cornerback in the fall thanks to the emergence of true freshman LaRon Landry. Daniels had a breakout season as a junior in 2003, starting all 14 games opposite Corey Webster at cornerback and finished with 58 total tackles, 6.5 TFL, two sacks, two INT's and 26 PBU. As a senior in 2004, Daniels started all 12 games and finished with 48 tackles, one INT and nine PBU. Daniels has good size and his technique has continued to improve. He has adequate ball skills and emerged as a playmaker in run support, which will help him in terms of his potential to contribute on special teams at the next level. However, his lack of speed, fluidity and ball skills limit his NFL potential and ultimately will cause him to slip to the final few rounds of the 2005 draft.

fins317 said:
Here is the take from Sportsline

Has an underdeveloped body with no meat on his thighs, legs and calves. … Has experience at all secondary positions, but may be better suited for free safety due to a lack of acceptable speed to play effectively in man coverage. … He does a good job attacking the ball downfield, but is sometimes late to react when playing in off coverage. … His range is suspect, as he does not appear to have good recovery speed. … Better in zone coverage, where he can utilize his intelligence, as he seems to lack patience in man coverage and has questionable deep speed. … For some reason, Tigers defensive backs have poor backpedaling ability. … His tight hips and marginal footwork are evident as he appears late to react coming out of his backpedal and this prevents him from turning and running with his receiver on deep routes. … Could be more effective in press coverage if he would improve his hand placement (fails to disrupt with a good push or jolt).

The guy is smart and he will probably play safety--In Saban we trust-now is not the time to critiscise:tongue:

J Tes said:
No trust me, Orton blows. His delivery of the ball is extremely slow and is a statue in the backfield. Oh and his senior season was anything but impressive. Why do you think Orton will be a solid pro? Or is it that you have heard of him before so he must be good

Don't call me ignorant for watching college football. That's one thing you can't do. I frankly think his release can be improved upon definitely.

I'm screaming for us to take Derek Anderson atleast in the 5th round. To those who say we're set at QB, DAY 2 IS FOR THE FUTURE. Elton Brown didn't make sense in my opinion either. However considering our team has one fast player in Chambers, Mathis would have made sense.

Jaj said:
Don't call me ignorant for watching college football. That's one thing you can't do. I frankly think his release can be improved upon definitely.

I'm screaming for us to take Derek Anderson atleast in the 5th round. To those who say we're set at QB, DAY 2 IS FOR THE FUTURE. Elton Brown didn't make sense in my opinion either. However considering our team has one fast player in Chambers, Mathis would have made sense.
Hey there buddy. Why are you resorting to the name calling? Is it that you dont have an answer to my question? And I gave a reasons why I dont think he'll make it as a pro. You have yet to do anything to prove me wrong. And you say his delivery is a problem, so you think its that easy to fix it? Something he's probably been doing since highschool

ih8brady said:
This is like drafting a kicker in round 2. You musnt do it. Daniels probably would have been around in round 5.

oh really? thanks for the insider info you have from every team's office. :rolleyes:

Whitedolphin54 said:
The guy is smart and he will probably play safety--In Saban we trust-now is not the time to critiscise:tongue:

What guy is smart? I hope you're referring to Saban & not Daniels .... Daniels scored a 10 on the Wonderlic!! It's unbelieveable the lack of basic intelligence these kids have.

Well I guess Saban stuck with a known commodity, can't blame him. It may also be important to have someone in the lockerroom that knows exactly what to expect from Saban. The vets might appreciate the drive and attitude of a four year coached Saban product.

Back
Top Bottom