Merged2X: Whoa.. We signed BERLIN?/Yes! | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged2X: Whoa.. We signed BERLIN?/Yes!

Hey patswho? where's Taylor on your projected starting D?

LE-holliday
DT-t-bo
RE-carter
OLB-seau
MLB-zach
MLB-crowder
OLB-roth
cb:madison
cb:will poole
fs:travis daniels
ss:tebucky

I'm a Canes fan, and I don't think this guy has much to offer. I wasn't impressed by him at all during his tenure with the Miami Hurricanes.

caneproud117 said:
I just want to throw my input in here. I watched Berlin the two years he was QBing for Miami. Its no lie that he stunk up the joint his first year starting. He stared down receivers when he took the ball under center. This past year however, he has shown vast improvement. He still does sometimes stare down receivers but for the most part the improvement was extremely noticable. 20 TD's to 5 Ints is great.

Berlin in the two-minute drill is like having a Joe Montana on your team. He gets in the shotgun, goes through his reads beautifully and throws the ball on target. I don't think anyone can deny this guy has a strong arm. There were times when he tried to throw the ball too hard and ended up firing it right at the receivers feet.

Our defensive front 4 is what let us down this past year. 300+ yards to UNC and 250+ yards to Clemson. We win those games if the defense could stop the run.

The one thing that I noticed about all his faults is that they are mental. I think he can be coached to at least be a good backup in this league and maybe one day down the line start somewhere.

well said and very nice sig go canes !

He's an undrafted free agent. Relax. If he makes the team, it'll be to replace Sage. Who cares. Actually, he's got a good arm and might be valuable on the scout team as we get ready to defend against some of the cannons out there!

caneproud117 said:
Berlin in the two-minute drill is like having a Joe Montana on your team. He gets in the shotgun, goes through his reads beautifully and throws the ball on target. I don't think anyone can deny this guy has a strong arm. There were times when he tried to throw the ball too hard and ended up firing it right at the receivers feet.

and this could be exactly why he sticks on this team. Linehan was an OC/QB coach, and he likes to use a 1 back set, and uses multiple shotgun formations. Culpepper was in the gun a lot last year.

He told Frerotte that the system was going to be the same, and with Brown having fantastic hands, we'll be passing a bunch

Dudeman said:
and this could be exactly why he sticks on this team. Linehan was an OC/QB coach, and he likes to use a 1 back set, and uses multiple shotgun formations. Culpepper was in the gun a lot last year.

He told Frerotte that the system was going to be the same, and with Brown having fantastic hands, we'll be passing a bunch
Feeley was great out of the shotgun last year. I'll try to find the stats, I know I've seen them before.

Guys-
For the guy that his the issue with our QB's and to everyone else who is pissed we didn't get a QB in the 3rd round. Are you guys nuts? Somehow you guys all think that you have targeted a guy in the 3rd or 4th round who is going to come in and be a starter. Anyone who has better than a 30% chance at being a starter is generally taken in round 1. I don't care how good of talent evaluators you think you are, the odds of any of those 3rd rounders from this year ever being starters (let alone good starters) is amost non-existent. Taking players with that much risk is why we have very few draft picks on our team now. You use the first day to draft guys that you think will actually make your team and stick around for a few years. The difference between a UDFA and 3rd rounder when it comes to QB's is very little in my mind. You want to take a shot at a QB who has a 1% chance of becoming a starter then go for him as a UDFA so the downside is low.

To the guy that is harping on Saban ignoring QB. You really think that one of those 3rd rounders could beat out Feeley or Ferotte? I'm curious, you say we should address QB, how? You say we should trade for one, who? Name me some QB's you want that would actually improve this team. The league has plenty of mediocre QB's which aren't much better than Feeley and Ferotte. The franchise QB's don't get traded and they generally get drafted in the top 10 (this is the first year we had a top 10 pick and the only guy worth dafting went #1). If Smith was there at #2, I think Saban would have pulled the trigger. What more can he do?

Now looking specifically at Brock. I've said before, he has potential. If Linehan runs an offense that uses the shotgun at times, he could actually be very effective. Second, his first year at UM was exactly that, it was his first year starting in college (he only played 2 games for UF). By his second year he improved drastically. I'm not saying he will start but I will say he has the exact same odds of success as any of the 2nd round and later QB's with no risk.

Is there any way we could just use Brock in the hurry up at the end of games when we need to score? We use Gus/AJ all game and then bring Brock in at the end out of the shotgun to run the hurry up. I know it will never happen, I'm being somewhat sarcastic, but some part of me (the part that is not a coach who is responsible to an entire organization and city) would love to try this out.

caneaddict said:
Is there any way we could just use Brock in the hurry up at the end of games when we need to score? We use Gus/AJ all game and then bring Brock in at the end out of the shotgun to run the hurry up. I know it will never happen, I'm being somewhat sarcastic, but some part of me (the part that is not a coach who is responsible to an entire organization and city) would love to try this out.

I've never seen it happen in the NFL, nor college for that matter. Then again, I've never seen someone that goes from looking good to looking great in a two-minute offense. Seems very Madden-esque if you ask me. To bring a guy off the bench who hasn't thrown all game. Berlin's never done that, he started the whole game before going into Montana mode.

i really dont feel picking up Berlin as a mistake. Everyone hates the guy most of all hurricane fans and no one really has good right to! The man has heart no one should be able to argue that. He loves the game and although he has been inconsistent in the past he does have talent! Last year he played extremely better than the previous year and actually has the same numbers as some of the high profile QB's. No one ever gave the man credit when he was due. He only have 6 INT's last year compared to 22 or 23 TD's the year before he had more INT's than TD's. Thats a big improvement. I dont think he will ever be a starting QB in the NFL but i do think he will knock out Sage.

Why not give him a chance, probably won't make the team anyway. Besides, isn't his girlfriend hot?!?!? LOL, not sure if that matters though :cooldude:

Actually Brock is engaged... he is getting married sometime this summer... and yes she is very pretty... (i wouldnt say hot because i dont swing that way ;) )

inFINSible said:
Feeley was great out of the shotgun last year. I'll try to find the stats, I know I've seen them before.

no need, I've heard that too. Its his horrendous decision making behind center that he has to fix. I'm not sure that he'll ever get used to making passes like that without relying on timing (staple obviously of the WCO), and hoping a receiver is there.

Back
Top Bottom