MERGED4x: Virus alert/Trojans/Ads | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED4x: Virus alert/Trojans/Ads

Well, I'm Now A VIP!

Even though I was not experiencing any problems, I decided to go ahead and become a VIP member. At 0.05109589 cents per day it was not much of a financial setback for a broke person such as myself. :wink: I've been thinking about it though. I wonder if the majority of Finheaven members were VIPs if it would have an impact on the overall quality of the site?

Realistically, I think that it would. Maintaining a website takes a monetary commitment from the people that host it. I'm sure that the ad revenue helps but does it completely cover everything that is needed? So, I stepped up to the plate and I challenge a lot of you other members to step up as well if you enjoy the site.

Some of you really need to as it seems that participating in the discussions or lurking is an enjoyable experience for you. If that truly is the case, why not support it? I did and I am not having the least bit of trouble! Finally, I just want to state that I am in no way affiliated with the Finheaven staff. I am just a Dolphins fan who feels that this board is the best Dolphins forum on the web. That's all I have to say about it! Well, I do have one more thing to say. Wildbill, I will be expecting my check directly! :chuckle:

Even though I was not experiencing any problems, I decided to go ahead and become a VIP member. At 0.05109589 cents per day it was not much of a financial setback for a broke person such as myself. :wink: I've been thinking about it though. I wonder if the majority of Finheaven members were VIPs if it would have an impact on the overall quality of the site?

Realistically, I think that it would. Maintaining a website takes a monetary commitment from the people that host it. I'm sure that the ad revenue helps but does it completely cover everything that is needed? So, I stepped up to the plate and I challenge a lot of you other members to step up as well if you enjoy the site.

Some of you really need to as it seems that participating in the discussions or lurking is an enjoyable experience for you. If that truly is the case, why not support it? I did and I am not having the least bit of trouble! Finally, I just want to state that I am in no way affiliated with the Finheaven staff. I am just a Dolphins fan who feels that this board is the best Dolphins forum on the web. That's all I have to say about it! Well, I do have one more thing to say. Wildbill, I will be expecting my check directly! :chuckle:

Bro Im sure there are benefits to becoming a VIP and I do really like this site. but it should NEVER come down to either become a VIP or run the risk of getting a Virus on your computer. Anyway that's my 2 Cents.

About 2 weeks ago I started getting a lot of warning from AVG. Then at times I would get these false warnings saying I was infected and needed to scan or install some anti-virus program. I researched this and found that it's a trojan/virus. I scanned and cleaned my computer with malwarebytes, AVG and SuperAntiSpyware. These 3 programs found tons of trojans and viruses on my computer. I thought I had fixed everything and even asked my wife to stop surfing some of her "gossip" magazine sites because I thought they were the problem.

However, I logged onto my computer the other day and found that my entire harddrive had crashed because of these trojans/viruses. I had to reformat my entire hard drive. I just finished reinstalling everything this morning. I reloaded AVG, Malwarebytes and Comodo Firewall. I then asked my wife to open up each of those sites that she visits. No warnings. Then, just a few minutes ago I open this site and all three of my programs went berserk. Firefox closed and a rouge program tried to download and told me that I was infected and needed to scan my computer with some BS anti-virus program. My AVG, Malwarebytes and firewall stopped it this time.

I know this is a long post, but I just wanted to let everyone know that this site is full of Trojans that will seriously harm your computer. I lost EVERYTHING! I just did a google search and found this thread so i thought I'd post a warning and let the Admins know I will not be coming back. This is BS!!!!!
I was browsing the Line 6 site looking for some info on a guitar pedal I am interested in....and I got hit with the "scanning your computer for viruses" scam......

Point is...it happens at all sites and keeping your computer up to date and secured is important.

Any malicious spyware/trojans etc.....that hit this site are looked at and removed....but this doesn't mean that they won't keep trying to come back over and over again. It takes time to find where it is and then purge it from the servers...so in the meantime if one visits the site it may be between the time the virus hits and the time it takes the IT people to find it and remove it. It is a constant battle.

This is to everyone in cyber land - Anyone who thinks they can surf the web and not protect themselves is not being very wise, and to expect every site to be completely free of malicious code is a pipe dream.

MarinePhinFan - Now that you are sufficiently protected, We wish you would continue to frequent the site.

Thank you for supporting FH!

If most of the lurkers and non-vip posters would join.....we probably wouldn't need the ad revenue to support the best Dolphins Fan site on the planet.

Bro Im sure there are benefits to becoming a VIP and I do really like this site. but it should NEVER come down to either become a VIP or run the risk of getting a Virus on your computer. Anyway that's my 2 Cents.
This is true. People should become VIP members to support FH first and foremost. The added benefit is no ads to distract from your time on the site. It just so happens that no ads also = no potential for malicious code to infect the site.

Trust me....as from my other recent post in here......malicious code is everywhere.

If I could ever have the opportunity to find just one of these hacker guys that are causing all this trouble.....well.....it would be the day I would probably forget I am a christian...and beat the living snot out him.

It is pretty obvious that if it is not in the page itself...it is in the advertising you are using...or the server is infected...
which is why we need the screenshot to see which ads are displayed when it happens. Really not that hard. The servers are fine.

I absolutely agree. I just wish people would provide some screenshots so we can fix the problem as we've asked MULTIPLE times, rather than just whining and expecting it all to go away on it's own.

Shark,

I totally agree with you but I don't think that is what I said. I just said that if more people supported the site it would probably have an impact on the overall quality of the site. What I mean by that is that maybe they would not need the ads or, at the least, they could opt to go with better quality ads (read less potential for problems) that paid less revenue.

There was really no need for me to become a VIP at all because of the steps that I have taken on my end to protect my network. I simply enjoy the site, would like to see it stay around and hope that improvements can be made that we can all enjoy. I challenged the members to step up, yes. But, by no means do I feel less about you and others who don't decide to do so. Nor do I feel superior to anyone who is a regular member. The bottom line is this. If you like the site, support it if you can. Of course, you're not obligated.

Regardless of your decision, I still have a lot of respect for you. From reading several of your posts, you seem to be a person of high character so you are alright by me! I hope that I have made myself clear regarding my stance about the ongoing ads issue......

Last edited by a moderator:
Shark,

I totally agree with you but I don't think that is what I said. I just said that if more people supported the site it would probably have an impact on the overall quality of the site. What I mean by that is that maybe they would not need the ads or at the least they could opt to go with better quality ads (read less potential for problems) that paid less revenue.

There was really no need for me to become a VIP at all because of the steps that I have taken on my end to protect my network. I simply enjoy the site, would like to see it stay around and hope that improvements can be made that we can all enjoy. I challenged the members to step up, yes. But, by no means do I feel less about you and others who don't decide to do so. Nor do I feel superior to anyone who is a regular member.

The bottom line is this. If you like the site, support it if you can. Of course, you're not obligated. Regardless of your decision, I still have a lot of respect for you. From reading several of your posts, you seem to be a person of high character so you are alright by me! I hope that I made myself clear regarding my stance about the ongoing ads issue......

Bro you don't have to explain yourself, I understood. I just wanted to expand on it a bit.

I was browsing the Line 6 site looking for some info on a guitar pedal I am interested in....and I got hit with the "scanning your computer for viruses" scam......

Point is...it happens at all sites and keeping your computer up to date and secured is important.

Any malicious spyware/trojans etc.....that hit this site are looked at and removed....but this doesn't mean that they won't keep trying to come back over and over again. It takes time to find where it is and then purge it from the servers...so in the meantime if one visits the site it may be between the time the virus hits and the time it takes the IT people to find it and remove it. It is a constant battle.

This is to everyone in cyber land - Anyone who thinks they can surf the web and not protect themselves is not being very wise, and to expect every site to be completely free of malicious code is a pipe dream.

MarinePhinFan - Now that you are sufficiently protected, We wish you would continue to frequent the site.

I realize that trojans/viruses are a part of the internet experience. It's just that I was protected by very good anti-virus/trojan software and it still got through. I love this site and that's why I'm here right now. I'm hoping there is something being done. I guess I will just have to become a VIP... :buds:

I absolutely agree. I just wish people would provide some screenshots so we can fix the problem as we've asked MULTIPLE times, rather than just whining and expecting it all to go away on it's own.

It's pretty hard to get a screenshot when your browser is going berserk, freezes or just closes. On top of all that with my anti-virus program and firewall sounding alarms, it can't happen.

So, instead of you whining about other people complaining about viruses on YOUR site, why not fix the problem? I frequent tons of other sites with ads and have never had this problem. I have never been infected so bad that I had to reformat my hard drive.

...Okay... both of my computers are infected with something... I have used Malware Malbytes and Spybot and still can't root out what is wrong... I am not very literate in technology and too broke to pay someone to fix my computers... I am beside myself, because one of my computers has my family pictures on it... I get redirected to a site called shopica.com everytime I search on this computer (the other one may have a different problem... one at a time)... Any help? I have almost convinced myself that it is an exe file instead of something anti-spyware can pick up...

...Okay... both of my computers are infected with something... I have used Malware Malbytes and Spybot and still can't root out what is wrong... I am not very literate in technology and too broke to pay someone to fix my computers... I am beside myself, because one of my computers has my family pictures on it... I get redirected to a site called shopica.com everytime I search on this computer (the other one may have a different problem... one at a time)... Any help? I have almost convinced myself that it is an exe file instead of something anti-spyware can pick up...

What anti-virus program are you using?

Back
Top Bottom