Miami Competes Next Year If... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Competes Next Year If...

Don't forget the rest of the AFC East could better themselves and are ahead of us in most categories
I'm encouraged by the fact that neither the Jets or Bills have a quarterback who I think can become top 10 caliber. That gives me optimism that Miami can quickly leap frog both of these teams. In the case of New England, Bill Bellichick needs to retire. Otherwise, you know they will continue to be competitive.

Of course, the Dolphins have to find that quarterback.

Sign at least 3 decent to good starting caliber OL.
Sign Derrick Henry.
Draft a DE with one of the 1st round picks and pick up a good DE in free agency.
Draft 2 OL with a 2nd and 3rd round pick.
Sign a good slot WR.
Draft or sign a FS and SS.
Yep, a pretty long list. Henry would be interesting.

I don’t think they can compete next year no matter what. One thing that would help them to compete sooner is Grier leaving.

Hit on QB
Spend big on veteran offensive lineman and also a DE
Double up there by drafting heavy on the Oline too along with the front 7
Get a big, bruising RB in the draft
Get a Fasano-type TE

This team would be competitive quickly. Buffalo beat us up on the lines so if we could get a massive talent influx there with our capital, it would jump start this rebuild. The rest of the positions can be sorted out later as they're less important. You lose on both lines of scrimmage and you're most likely going to lose the game no matter who you have everywhere else.
I agree with this. I do think it can happen pretty quickly. Miami could sign a few starters on the offensive line in free agency and then hopefully hit some home runs on early picks. If first and second rounders are historically starters, that could be five starters, albeit young ones through the draft.

Agreed, Bills and Jets have their QB already so they are ahead of us, juries out on their success potential but we're still behind. Jets have a back ( I think he's gone next year), and a stud safety. They need a pass rush and OL as we do. Bills are ahead of us by more just hope we catch up soon.
As far as the jests go, Darnold doesn't impress me.

I also think they either fire Gase, which means new, inexperienced staff, ir they don't fire Gase, and the clown show goes on.

Either way, I don't see them being "ahead" of us.

QB, OL, DE (pass rush is essential), RB, I like T Etienne but there are several
It's a pretty good group of running backs in the 2020 draft. Swift is probably my favorite, but Etienne would be nice. I also like Dillon as a power back. Not sure if he'll come out.

I don’t think they can compete next year no matter what. One thing that would help them to compete sooner is Grier leaving.
I have to believe you are in the minority with that opinion.

Just out of curiosity, what coach do you want to bring in?

Agreed, Bills and Jets have their QB already so they are ahead of us, juries out on their success potential but we're still behind. Jets have a back ( I think he's gone next year), and a stud safety. They need a pass rush and OL as we do. Bills are ahead of us by more just hope we catch up soon.
Bills have a nice team and Allen has some skills. I just don't think he's good enough to make them a major factor in the postseason. He's just in his second year so you never know, but he still has that habit of missing open receivers.

The Jets have a coaching issue, so in that sense Miami may already be ahead of them. I doubt Gase lasts past this year even though we are hearing that. They do have a manageable schedule down the stretch so maybe he saves his job for another year.

I would just point out that you really overpay for average pass rushers in free agency. I would prefer to address that in the draft.
I'm fine with that, but we need 2 DEs. Beggars can't be choosers. I'd prefer to get our Olineman in free agency because they're already a proven commodity and I want my new QB to be protected coming out of the gate, not a year or two from now when the damage could already be done.

Also, I think the Bills have a solid team that will inevitably be dragged down by Josh Allen. He can't throw the ball and it will be their downfall. I just hopes he continues to tease them so he stays longer than he should giving us time to catch up.

I'm fine with that, but we need 2 DEs. Beggars can't be choosers. I'd prefer to get our Olineman in free agency because they're already a proven commodity and I want my new QB to be protected coming out of the gate, not a year or two from now when the damage could already be done.
Agreed. Even a dominant DE needs competent play opposite him to keep teams from doubling the whole game.

I’d say stick with Rosen. Build the offense cheap and coach them up. Draft Joe Lunchbucket playmakers on both sides of the ball. Hoard picks when you can. Get cheap playmakers with a little gas still left in the tank. Coach up who you have. Just execute. That’s the Bellicheat blueprint.

Would you prefer Young in the first round and then look for a quarterback like Love, Hurts or Fromm with another high pick. Or would you prefer Herbert in the first and then look for a DE?

Would you prefer Young in the first round and then look for a quarterback like Love, Hurts or Fromm with another high pick. Or would you prefer Herbert in the first and then look for a DE?
Tough call. Close to a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

Young is obviously BPA, and is a position of need.

I guess it depends how they see Herbert as a "fit", and what their position on "rolling with Rosen" is.

Depending on how the draft positions shake out, it's possible they could do both, by trading up (not a fan).

Tbh if Tua is still there when we pick, I'm still taking him. Once upon a time we passed on Drew Brees because he was coming off shoulder surgery and we didn't think he could fully regain his ability to play at a high level. He was 10x better and we've regretted it since then so I'm not about to make the same mistake again. I'm going to take my shot and if it doesn't work out, oh well, but I refuse to live in regret by playing it safe.

I'm also insane, so I would probably draft Hurts too with one of my other first rounders. Worst case scenario they both bust, but I still went through 2 QBs in one QB cycle whereas we wasted 7 years wondering if Tannehill was the guy so we're ahead of schedule for that 3rd QB. What did it cost me? A first rounder? Who cares... If only one turns out to be really good, oh well, I've got my quarterback for the next 15 years. Best case? Best case is that they both turn out to be really good and I trade the lesser of the two for the most draft capital in NFL history. I didn't like Hurts before the season, but he's been so good that he's got me thinking that he could emulate what Lamar Jackson is doing. Slightly slower runner, but bigger build and a strong arm and I think he's going to be that undervalued guy in the draft like Wilson, Jackson, Watson etc.

That 3rd 1st rounder would be used on a DE or an Olineman. Also, I don't want Herbert at all. I think he's a bust waiting to happen and that's the feeling I had about Josh Allen, Rosen, and Darnold last year. All it took me was seeing that graphic up on ESPN early in the season that showed his numbers when pressured. They were an unmitigated disaster so I was out right then. I don't care what kind of stats he puts up after that.

Love has been really bad this year compared to last and Fromm just looks like a guy who's going along for the ride. He's been mediocre and barely has to do anything. I don't subscribe to that "he's a winner" philosophy because then you just end up with an Alex Smith. I want my QB to do something big when I'm losing the game. I don't care that he wins when he throws for 110 yards in a game.

Back
Top Bottom