Miami Competes Next Year If... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Competes Next Year If...

We will be judicious with our free agent spending as our entire rebuild started with the premise that we had too many high priced and injury prone free agent contracts. We got rid of those this past year. We will probably add mid-tier free agents with team friendly contracts.

I do believe (aqua colored lenses) that we will be competitive and win more games next year. The system and culture being developed will allow "no-name" players to excel and contribute. As we fill the team with more draft talent and young but experienced free agents they will make this team better. At the end it will come down to QB: Rosen's maturity and development vs. RP vs. Rookie who steps in and surprises.

Tbh if Tua is still there when we pick, I'm still taking him. Once upon a time we passed on Drew Brees because he was coming off shoulder surgery and we didn't think he could fully regain his ability to play at a high level. He was 10x better and we've regretted it since then so I'm not about to make the same mistake again. I'm going to take my shot and if it doesn't work out, oh well, but I refuse to live in regret by playing it safe.

I'm also insane, so I would probably draft Hurts too with one of my other first rounders. Worst case scenario they both bust, but I still went through 2 QBs in one QB cycle whereas we wasted 7 years wondering if Tannehill was the guy so we're ahead of schedule for that 3rd QB. What did it cost me? A first rounder? Who cares... If only one turns out to be really good, oh well, I've got my quarterback for the next 15 years. Best case? Best case is that they both turn out to be really good and I trade the lesser of the two for the most draft capital in NFL history. I didn't like Hurts before the season, but he's been so good that he's got me thinking that he could emulate what Lamar Jackson is doing. Slightly slower runner, but bigger build and a strong arm and I think he's going to be that undervalued guy in the draft like Wilson, Jackson, Watson etc.

That 3rd 1st rounder would be used on a DE or an Olineman. Also, I don't want Herbert at all. I think he's a bust waiting to happen and that's the feeling I had about Josh Allen, Rosen, and Darnold last year. All it took me was seeing that graphic up on ESPN early in the season that showed his numbers when pressured. They were an unmitigated disaster so I was out right then. I don't care what kind of stats he puts up after that.

Love has been really bad this year compared to last and Fromm just looks like a guy who's going along for the ride. He's been mediocre and barely has to do anything. I don't subscribe to that "he's a winner" philosophy because then you just end up with an Alex Smith. I want my QB to do something big when I'm losing the game. I don't care that he wins when he throws for 110 yards in a game.
No way I'm taking Tua before day 3, if at all. To do so would be ignoring every medical opinion I have seen on the situation.

As stated above many times; trenches, trenches, trenches draft and FA.

I've always been a without-a-QB-you're-nothing guy but not even this years Lamar Jackson would do well behind our oline.

We can't run to balance our attack.

DL can't pressure to save their lives.

I've gone from QB or nothing to build from the inside out.

You want to see what we have in a Rosen that is being coached up, groomed. You need to protect him.

You want to beat Brady, you pressure him with 4.

Trenches, trenches, trenches.

No way I'm taking Tua before day 3, if at all. To do so would be ignoring every medical opinion I have seen on the situation.
Depends on how it heals. It ended Bo Jackson's career because of the necrosis that happened afterwards which required him to get a full hip replacement. If that doesn't happen and the worst that happens is that Tua loses a bit of speed and mobility, I still take him. Brady and Marino are/were statues and still eviscerated everybody. Mobility is a bonus, not a requirement.

Watching the Buffalo game I love the team's effort and believe the coaching staff in on the right track. In a way it was one of Fitzpatrick's best games considering he was under constant pressure. On the other hand, Josh Allen had an NFL eternity 5, 6, 7 seconds to find open receivers.

The weaknesses stood out big time in this game. It's hard to cover up an offensive line so devoid of talent, especially with a good defensive opponent in Buffalo. That and a lack of a pass rush are really the two biggest issues. That said, obviously getting the quarterback of the future has to be the priority moving forward.

So, what can Miami do to compete as early as next year? The team has a slew of draft picks and money to spend in free agency. A concentration on the offensive line, pass rushers and finding a quarterback could go a long way to fielding a competitive team. It's possible that Fitzpatrick holds down the fort for another year as well, or that Rosen could still be in play (if he plays).

For the sake of argument, could Miami completely overhaul one side of the ball in the offseason? With three number one picks and two in the second, its possible that the Dolphins could go all in on offense as an example, or even find some elite defensive talent and perhaps be a top 10 unit on that side.

The team could take several building methods. It's possible that Miami could sign a quarterback like Bridgewater, bring in some offensive linemen in free agency and concentrate on defense in the draft. Maybe look for a developmental quarterback like Love or Hurts. My guess is the team will trade up a few spots for Herbert now that Tua is a huge question with his hip injury.

By "competes," I'm going to insert 8-8. I still think Miami can win 1-2 more games, so 8-8 means beating THIS year's team by 4 wins. With that as my definition, I don't think 'competing' is that far off, though the road is full of 'if's.
Upgrading the pass rush - 1-2 players.
Upgrading OL - 2-3 players.
Upgrading 1 CB spot.
1 QB
Yeah, that's 6 players, but not a 'replace a team full of scrubs' rebuild. And, yes, each of those projected upgrades may end up not being upgrades. That should get Miami to 8-8 - competitive. With a lot of draft picks and 3-4 FAs, I don't see that as exceedingly difficult.

Moving on from Kilgore is an important part of the process of becoming a competitive team. For multiple years the communication of the offensive line has been poor. The best communication by the line this season was a game that Boehm started. Bring in competition for Boehm, free agent of from the draft, should be a step forward. The best communicator with at least minimum skills wins.

Depends on how it heals. It ended Bo Jackson's career because of the necrosis that happened afterwards which required him to get a full hip replacement. If that doesn't happen and the worst that happens is that Tua loses a bit of speed and mobility, I still take him. Brady and Marino are/were statues and still eviscerated everybody. Mobility is a bonus, not a requirement.
Basing your argument on a guy that has never taken an NFL snap, in comparison to the greatest pocket passer in the history of the game, and the winningest QB of all time is pretty thin my friend.

I doubt Flores/Grier sees it the way you do.

Do you guys actually look at the list of upcoming free agents? Even if Miami was the only team utilizing free agency( they aren’t, lots of teams have a lot of cap space) there simply isn’t enough talent available to change this team. There is a reason Houston traded all that for Tunsil, it is because you can’t get good left tackles through the draft or free agency.

Basing your argument on a guy that has never taken an NFL snap, in comparison to the greatest pocket passer in the history of the game, and the winningest QB of all time is pretty thin my friend.

I doubt Flores/Grier sees it the way you do.
They're not the only ones, just the most prominent examples that people would understand. I don't need Tua to be Kyler Murray or Lamar Jackson. He was mobile before and maybe now he'll just be similar to everybody else. What I'm saying is that is still good enough for me.

Do you guys actually look at the list of upcoming free agents? Even if Miami was the only team utilizing free agency( they aren’t, lots of teams have a lot of cap space) there simply isn’t enough talent available to change this team. There is a reason Houston traded all that for Tunsil, it is because you can’t get good left tackles through the draft or free agency.
And Watson still gets sacked a ton and Tunsil has 11 penalties already this year. You don't need elite LTs anymore in today's NFL. You need an all-around solid line full of just "good" players, not elite.

They're not the only ones, just the most prominent examples that people would understand. I don't need Tua to be Kyler Murray or Lamar Jackson. He was mobile before and maybe now he'll just be similar to everybody else. What I'm saying is that is still good enough for me.
First of all, I'm glad we can have a discussion, and disagree, without it descending into a p***ing contest.

I'm not approaching it from the running QB standpoint at all. I believe a pocket passer, that stands in there, and delivers the rock on time is superior. He just needs elusiveness within the pocket, which is more a function if "feel", than pure athletic ability.

I'm basing my opinion on the fact that the odds of Tua ever recovering to the point he will be a durable, top level QB are very very low.

While I'm not an advocate of spending huge amounts of money on Free Agents, I do see the advantages of spending on the right players. Miami can compete if they get the 2020 offseason done right. Signing OG's Joe Thunney and Brandon Sherff would go a long way in helping. They are fantastic fits for Miami. They bring experience and are both in their prime. CB Byron Jones looks like he might make it out if Dallas as a F/A. He's another guy who's a perfect fit. Signing Jones to add to what Miami has done developing its players this year, COULD, bring the secondary to another level. These are the 3 players I'd be willing to spend large contracts on. As for the draft. Well this is where it's gotten complicated due to Tua's injury. If Miami somehow repositions itself for a run at a QB in 2021, by trading down from a few of its higher picks, I'd understand. But for arguements sake Miami still needs rush LB's and a big bruising RB to help toughen this team up.

Last edited:
I’d say stick with Rosen. Build the offense cheap and coach them up. Draft Joe Lunchbucket playmakers on both sides of the ball. Hoard picks when you can. Get cheap playmakers with a little gas still left in the tank. Coach up who you have. Just execute. That’s the Bellicheat blueprint.
Could work. Under that scenario, Miami could draft Young who most see as the best player in the draft. A dominant pass rusher could push this defense close to top 10 with a coach like Flores at the helm

Could work. Under that scenario, Miami could draft Young who most see as the best player in the draft. A dominant pass rusher could push this defense close to top 10 with a coach like Flores at the helm
Probably take a bit more than 1 player, but a DE that can set the edge, and win 1v1 matchups would go a long way to getting us there.

Back
Top Bottom