Miami Dolphins: Corey Linsley should be their No. 1 target in free agency | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins: Corey Linsley should be their No. 1 target in free agency

Nothing wrong with that! Being dominant up front would be a LOT of fun.

The best football is fun football. Make it as fun and easy as possible for No.1.

If after the 2021 season you decide Tua just isn't your guy, your roster is already young and talented and you can afford to swing for the fences again. I am not too concerned about that possible outcome but we are ready made to move on and not be set back.

Well let's just say that since 2015 we only had two pro bowl receivers drafted in the first round. Amari Cooper and Minnesota's rookie receiver. How many receivers were drafted in total since then? 20 receivers in total. Titans Corey Davis was drafted fifth overall in 2017, NCAA's all time receiving leader, and he isn't Titans best receiver. AJ brown is, drafted 2nd round 2017 and made the pro bowl. Before 2015, only receiver is 2011, Julio Jones. Now there are guys like Parker, they get their once in a while 1k season but not top 5 in the league. Only the top 5 receivers go to the pro bowl. Ridley and Dj moore would be considered good receivers. But Ridley was very average before this season. Both could have gone to 2nd red. Biggest trend since 2000 is that there are less than 4 to 5 receivers drafted top 10 that did anything. All the hype no substance. Charles Rogers, Corey Davis were all over hyped. Even Andre Johnson being picked that high, Boldin being picked that high played less and caught as many yards.
I was curious about the tackles and found this (coincidentally from 2015) going back to 1990:

https:// bleacherreport .com /articles/ 2441018-which-positions-are-the-safest-riskiest-at-the-top-of-the-nfl-draft

Just for reference:

WR's- 99 total, 30 Pro Bowlers, 15 All-Pro
OT's- 84 total, 31 Pro Bowlers, 16 All-Pro

their "bust" rate has a larger disparity

WR- 30%
OT- 19%

according to this article Safety, Linebacker and Tight End are much safer bets

No one wants Creed Humphrey???
Not if they can sign Linsley. Humphrey might end up being a very good center in the NFL but he is an unknown at the professional level right now. Linsley was an all pro center in 2020.

If they don’t sign Linsley, drafting Humphrey in the second round if he is still available would certainly be worth the risk but you don’t get the opportunity to sign an all pro player in free agency that often. Especially at a position of need for the Dolphins.

Grier I know you are watching get it done and draft sewell .

If they sign Linsley, they better not draft OL with either 1st round pick. Overkill.

I mean, it’s as if many Dolphins fan here didn’t watch their games this past season and recognize their most glaring weakness.

We get it. The oline and defense surely can use improvements. But those are distant needs behind actual play makers.

If they sign Linsley, they better not draft OL with either 1st round pick. Overkill.

I mean, it’s as if many Dolphins fan here didn’t watch their games this past season and recognize their most glaring weakness.

We get it. The oline and defense surely can use improvements. But those are distant needs behind actual play makers.
You do realize Miami could sign Linsley, draft Sewell, and still upgrade the skill position by a lot? I mean without any trades, they have 18 to get a receiver, plus both 2nd round picks could be used for a RB and WR. They could also sign a receiver in FA. If you do trade down thn you have extra ammo to trade up from 18 to get a WR and still have 2 2nd round picks to add skill position.

With such a young line, I love signing Linsley. An all-pro vet to coach up a raw group of talented players. I think it is the best money we can spend this free agency. I do not want to spend our 1st on an o-line man unless Slattery falls to 18.

I see Linsley as a clear upgrade to Karras but I wonder if the price for either guy may be about the same? The Chargers, Dolphins and Ravens are considered likely suitors. All three of those have similar cap space so I don't see anyone as likely to significantly over-bid, but all three teams could potentially make Linsley their #1 FA target (as I think Miami should).

Does Ohio's Linsley want to be a California Boy or a Florida Man?

Both teams will likely make offers that will eclipse anything that the Packers will do. Tua or Herbert... sun and movie stars, or sun and gators?

Grier I know you are watching get it done and draft sewell .

Lets be honest is that the WORST possible position/player the Dolphins could get @3?

At the very worst he should be a “good” player.
The selection along with an upgrade at center and you should be set there for the next 5-7 years.

Remember we had no business being anywhere #3.

Lets be honest is that the WORST possible position/player the Dolphins could get @3?

At the very worst he should be a “good” player.
The selection along with an upgrade at center and you should be set there for the next 5-7 years.

Remember we had no business being anywhere #3.

Honestly we gave up Tunsil, and what we ended up doing in the process is upgrading other positions. He was the only good player in our line, and it ended up working out... Wait, did it ended up working out? We don't know yet at this moment because we haven't seen the fruits of that investment. We ended up drafting Jackson which he is unpolished so far, young, and will keep getting better with one or two more off-seasons. And we also received our infamous 3rd overall, and our 2nd overall. Then we have a few facts, and one of those is receivers drafted in the top 5. Corey Davis (2017 top 5 pick) hasn't been a failure but the NCAA's all time receiving leader isn't even the best receiver in his team, hasn't crack the 1k yard mark, and hasn't even been to a pro bowl. Rewind back to 2015 and Amari Cooper was drafted top 5 at receiver, and he's been a very good receiver in this league, pro bowl, and all pro. Sammy Watkins was drafted top 5 in 2014, and he has disappointed, was, and never has been the best receiver in Buffalo, or Kansas City. In 2014 draft 2 picks later Mike Evans was (pro bowl, and all pro). 2012 Draft Jacksonville drafted a receiver in the top 5, lasted 3 seasons aka Justin Blackmon. 2011 the most successful draft for top 10 picks with AJ Green top 5, and Julio Jones picked a few picks later. Both pro bowl, all pro receivers. 2010 nfl draft, 17 out of 32 picks ended up pro bowl players. Two of the receivers drafted near the end of the round also ended up being pro bowl receivers. There was no receiver drafted until after pick 20. I wish I had the time to discuss prior years but maybe you can research it more. In the last decade only two receivers drafted top 5 were ever good. Tackles also have high failure rates too. But in a full decade there were only 2 receivers drafted in the top 5 that were successful. The rate of failure is even higher if you expand it top top 10.

Check out this article, our Flowers happens to be listed there. Andrew Thomas is missing from that list.

Honestly we gave up Tunsil, and what we ended up doing in the process is upgrading other positions. He was the only good player in our line, and it ended up working out... Wait, did it ended up working out? We don't know yet at this moment because we haven't seen the fruits of that investment. We ended up drafting Jackson which he is unpolished so far, young, and will keep getting better with one or two more off-seasons. And we also received our infamous 3rd overall, and our 2nd overall. Then we have a few facts, and one of those is receivers drafted in the top 5. Corey Davis (2017 top 5 pick) hasn't been a failure but the NCAA's all time receiving leader isn't even the best receiver in his team, hasn't crack the 1k yard mark, and hasn't even been to a pro bowl. Rewind back to 2015 and Amari Cooper was drafted top 5 at receiver, and he's been a very good receiver in this league, pro bowl, and all pro. Sammy Watkins was drafted top 5 in 2014, and he has disappointed, was, and never has been the best receiver in Buffalo, or Kansas City. In 2014 draft 2 picks later Mike Evans was (pro bowl, and all pro). 2012 Draft Jacksonville drafted a receiver in the top 5, lasted 3 seasons aka Justin Blackmon. 2011 the most successful draft for top 10 picks with AJ Green top 5, and Julio Jones picked a few picks later. Both pro bowl, all pro receivers. 2010 nfl draft, 17 out of 32 picks ended up pro bowl players. Two of the receivers drafted near the end of the round also ended up being pro bowl receivers. There was no receiver drafted until after pick 20. I wish I had the time to discuss prior years but maybe you can research it more. In the last decade only two receivers drafted top 5 were ever good. Tackles also have high failure rates too. But in a full decade there were only 2 receivers drafted in the top 5 that were successful. The rate of failure is even higher if you expand it top top 10.

Check out this article, our Flowers happens to be listed there. Andrew Thomas is missing from that list.

Thanks for that quick and snap research. Bottomline it's a tough business. It's always why your "team" overall and especially the QB has to be as good as possible. That way even when a player isn't playing up to his draft position your overall "team" is good enough to hide that deficiency.

Tampa is a good example. IMO, of building a team by adding good players as you go. Before you know it you're ready to compete for an playoff spot and beyond.

Thanks for that quick and snap research. Bottomline it's a tough business. It's always why your "team" overall and especially the QB has to be as good as possible. That way even when a player isn't playing up to his draft position your overall "team" is good enough to hide that deficiency.

Tampa is a good example. IMO, of building a team by adding good players as you go. Before you know it you're ready to compete for an playoff spot and beyond.
Best college receiver almost never translates to best NFL receiver or a productive receiver. Either how, it will be interesting to find out what happens to Smith and Chase. All of our debates will make more sense later.

Back
Top Bottom