Miami Dolphins’ current view of Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert might surprise you | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins’ current view of Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert might surprise you

I don't think Herbert and Hurts are quick enough processors to excel in the system we are probably going to adopt. If we picked either of those two we would have to adapt our offense to their style, I wouldn't be totally against that approach if that's the route they want to go, but I wouldn't be on board with them taking one of those guys then trying to shove square pegs into round holes. The NFL seems to have matured recently to the point where teams are prepared to go with that approach, most notably with Mahomes in KC, Jackson in Balt and Murray in Zona. All three of these guys have been put in positions to succeed rather than to fail, whomever we go with, hopefully we adopt that same approach.

Yep. If they design a playbook to force rather than a system that compliments, we'll be in trouble no matter which QB we draft.

Beating a dead horse, none of the above need apply without an oline.

17-7 win over California, 21-6 Win over Stanford. Herbert passed for 139 yards against Wisconsin. Wisconsin turned the ball over 4 times. Little more than Herbert willing them to victory.

As has been pointed out numerous times....Cristobal ran a ground and pound extremely conservative offense.

I have to wonder how Herbert would have performed in offenses like Alabama and LSU ran.
To ignore this is naive.

Precisely. There is always another Herbert. Hell you can probably get your Herbert in the second round this year by the way of Jake Fromm. Tua's dont come around very often which is why he is still gonna go top 5 after a rare injury. More likely top 3.
Its not the “rare” injury alone that bothers me....it’s the 4 lower extremity injuries in two years. I’m sure Tua will recover from his latest injury.... but how durable is he? Do you want a Carson Wentz who is on IR every year when the games matter most?

[QU
Its not the “rare” injury alone that bothers me....it’s the 4 lower extremity injuries in two years. I’m sure Tua will recover from his latest injury.... but how durable is he? Do you want a Carson Wentz who is on IR every year when the games matter most?
Yes I would take Carson Wentz even with his injuries. He basically carried that Eagles team last season. They might have had the least talented wide receiver corps in the whole NFL and yet he still led them to the playoffs.

[QU

Yes I would take Carson Wentz even with his injuries. He basically carried that Eagles team last season. They might have had the least talented wide receiver corps in the whole NFL and yet he still led them to the playoffs.
Wentz had a decent year. Very efficient, in fact. Around 10-15 by most statistical rating systems, but as you say, not a lot of help.

I do wonder though, if your a fan of Wentz, isn't Herbert pretty much the same guy, everything considered besides injury history?

Wentz had a decent year. Very efficient, in fact. Around 10-15 by most statistical rating systems, but as you say, not a lot of help.

I do wonder though, if your a fan of Wentz, isn't Herbert pretty much the same guy, everything considered besides injury history?
I'm really not that big a fan of Wentz, but I was making the point that his injury history doesn't really scare me. Wentz's play is too inconsistent for my liking but If Herbert could play to Wentz's level I think you could win like that, but I'm not sure Herbert could even play to that level.

It's just as big a risk to project that Herbert will ever develop into anything more than what he showed in college as to assume Tua will be "injury prone" in the pros. Tua had ONE injury of concern. That's it. Stop embellishing his history to make your point. It's fine that you have concerns about the hip, but every QB that's ever played the game has similar minor injuries in their history. If you want to include every bump and bruise Tua has had in your evaluation then you have to do the same for every other QB prospect on top of the fact that none of them have the level of play as Tua.

As has been pointed out numerous times....Cristobal ran a ground and pound extremely conservative offense.

I have to wonder how Herbert would have performed in offenses like Alabama and LSU ran.
To ignore this is naive.

As has been pointed out, Herbert would have rode the pine at Bama and LSU so that answers my question of who we need to pick.

It's just as big a risk to project that Herbert will ever develop into anything more than what he showed in college as to assume Tua will be "injury prone" in the pros. Tua had ONE injury of concern. That's it. Stop embellishing his history to make your point. It's fine that you have concerns about the hip, but every QB that's ever played the game has similar minor injuries in their history. If you want to include every bump and bruise Tua has had in your evaluation then you have to do the same for every other QB prospect on top of the fact that none of them have the level of play as Tua.

Two seasons...2 ankle surgeries, 1 hip surgery, 1 hand surgery, 2 knee sprains and a quad injury.

That’s not embellishment... that’s fact...and those of you who ignore it are looking through rose colored glasses.

Two seasons...2 ankle surgeries, 1 hip surgery, 1 hand surgery, 2 knee sprains and a quad injury.

That’s not embellishment... that’s fact...and those of you who ignore it are looking through rose colored glasses.
Sprains arent all that serious of injuries, a high ankle sprain isnt something to rush back from by any means. But the procedures he elected to have done are also to help prevent them in the future... that doesnt seem like a huge deal to me.

Youre bringing up all these injuries but you are awarethat Herbert has had his share of injuries too? Burrows dealt with a couple too. As many as Tua? Probably not but when you are going to bring up every nick and scrape you might want to do that for other players too

(not specifically just you, but other posters bring this up too)

And you know this how? Who can point that out?

I love Burrow, by all means trade up for him....Tua is injury prone and a big gamble.

This is a Tua / Herbert thread not Burrow

Injuries are part of the game

Oregon clings to a one-point lead in its huge Week 1 game against Auburn in Arlington, Texas. Unfortunately, it may be without Justin Herbert for some key spots down the stretch.

Moments ago, the potential first-round pick left the game. He took a huge shot from Auburn linebacker Owen Pappoe.

He slowly walked off the field without help, which is a good sign. Unfortunately, the Ducks were without him for a crucial 4th & 1, with 5:34 left in the game.
Freshman Tyler Shough stepped in for his first action, and his handoff to CJ Verdell was stuffed for a loss on a crucial 4th & 1. Auburn takes over down one point from their own 42 yard line, needing just a field goal to win.

It is impossible to know what Oregon would have run with Justin Herbert in the game there, but that was perhaps the most inopportune spot to have a star QB out.

Sprains arent all that serious of injuries, a high ankle sprain isnt something to rush back from by any means. But the procedures he elected to have done are also to help prevent them in the future... that doesnt seem like a huge deal to me.

Youre bringing up all these injuries but you are awarethat Herbert has had his share of injuries too? Burrows dealt with a couple too. As many as Tua? Probably not but when you are going to bring up every nick and scrape you might want to do that for other players too

(not specifically just you, but other posters bring this up too)

its laughable to pretend that Tua has been durable...perhaps it’s his style of play but he does not stay healthy.

its laughable to pretend that Tua has been durable...perhaps it’s his style of play but he does not stay healthy.
Didnt once say he was durable, but I was questioning Herbert and to a lesser extend Burrow's injury history. Lets ignore that though

Didnt once say he was durable, but I was questioning Herbert and to a lesser extend Burrow's injury history. Lets ignore that though

I don’t remember Burrow missing a game the past two years....Herbert had a sophomore year injury... but was healthy the last two years?

Back
Top Bottom