Miami Dolphins’ current view of Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert might surprise you | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins’ current view of Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert might surprise you

Lots of heads will explode here if we draft Herbert.......I will root for whoever we draft.

As far as people saying we'll be "stock" for 7 years again, nonsense. This is a different coaching staff who will pull the plug quick if things are not working out.

I think Herbert has the potential to be a lot better than people think. He never played on a team with half the NFL level talent that LSU, Alabama, Ohio State or Clemson had this year (covering Burrow, Tua, Fields and Lawrence). Yet he was a successful starting QB at Oregon for 4 seasons. If anything the sheer amount of college tape on him will give teams that hope to draft him a clear idea how to best use his skill set. If Miami decides to draft him, and fully commits to build around him, I see no reason he could not be a solid starting QB.
The key is that last sentence. Whether its Tua, Herbert or Love Miami needs to build around that player.

The organization didn't do Tannehill any favors in that regard.

I have a strong feeling that Flores values the running game and realizes how important that is to a team's success.

The best anyone can say is it MAY be a smoke screen but it MAY NOT. I find it interesting those who want Tua see every positive statement as 'proof' while those who don't see it as 'smokescreen.' And visa versa.
Human nature, I suppose.

It is nearly impossible to seperate the wheat from the chaffe.

The fact Miami has put so much scouting resources into both Herbert and Love, says something, about how serious Miami is about finding its future Franchise QB. Love in particular, was scouted extensively in 2018, by the Dolphins, which is apparently extremely rare of an NFL Franchise to do of a player, not yet eligible for the draft. Tannenbaum, Grier and Miami's scouts have scouted Herbert enormously since 2018, so it's no surprise they have an affinity for him. The Tua situation is clouded by his injury and rightfully so. But Miami is known to love the player, when healthy. My point is, Tua gets most of the love from the fans, who SEEM to discount the Herbert and Love talent, that Miami appears to like and has under consideration for drafting at #5. Herbert seems to have much more ability than what he displayed at Oregon. It showed up at the Senior Bowl. Now teams have begun to rethink the notion of passing on a talent in Herbert that may turn out to be a better pro than college QB. It does happen!!!

Every one of these QBs mentioned has talent, but do they have the mentality and maturity to develop the necessary SKILL needed to succeed? The interview and white board work will tell the biggest story on these prospects. Each player has questions and plenty of tape to go off of, but if you want a face to put on every poster of your 2 billion dollar franchise WHO they are is just as important as their QB ability.

The gap for their ranking at the position may be close because each has many things to like and other things that can be worrisome. The interviews and mental abilities is what will drive someone to the front.

I mean they brought in Chan Gailey to run the offense. That in itself bodes very well for Miami and their interest in Justin Herbert.

Doesn’t mean he is their pick, or even favored over Tua to be their choice, but don’t get overly emotional thinking “no way” on Herbert. He absolutely is in play at 5 . . . .as he should be.

As the Miami Dolphins have been studying college talent and meeting to develop an organizational plan for the NFL Combine in Indianapolis next week, the team’s emerging view at the top of the quarterback class might surprise some.

Firstly, the club’s view of Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa is not of a slam-dunk pick near the top the draft. At least not yet. The Dolphins will go through the process of vetting Tagovailoa at the Combine and beyond, as other teams will, before deciding if he’s worth the No. 5 overall selection, which Miami holds in the first round of the April draft.

Secondly, the club has an increasingly positive view of Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert.

"So you're saying there's a chance."

draft expert want dolphins to pick Tua. So they can look good..anybody can pick first 3 pick.

Grier must have watched Herbert's 139 yards and an Int performance against a mediocre Wisconsin defense and thought I got to have this kid. Or his disappearing act in the second half of the Auburn game. Last four games against Arizona State, Oregon State, Utah and Wisconsin he had 4 TDs and 3 TDs. Averaged 200 yards passing. Those defenses actually had a pulse unlike most defenses on his schedule. Not elite defenses but decent. Throw in an good defense like California and the stats hold true. 200 yards passing 1 TD and 1 Int. He had 6 games of 1 or 0 TD passes. He feasted on terrible defenses and when it was taken up just a notch in was medicore. Just pass on Herbert. Save us from mediocre.

Last edited:
So much speculation at this point it's funny. Did Miami put a lot of effort into evaluating Herbert or Love? I sure as heck hope they spent a lot of time on ALL of the QB's. That goes for Tua and Eason and on down the line.

The Herbert talk takes me back to what Flores said about Rosen last year. He wants to see his body language improve. Sort of like saying, I want to see more in the leadership department. I'm not saying he has it or doesn't have it but that is the narrative from the media. That will be a big question for Flo pertaining to Herbert, IMO. I think he will have a big voice in the selection of these top players in the first two or three rounds.

The best anyone can say is it MAY be a smoke screen but it MAY NOT. I find it interesting those who want Tua see every positive statement as 'proof' while those who don't see it as 'smokescreen.' And visa versa.

Tua and Miami has been linked for almost 2 years. That's more than a smokescreen.

Justin Herbert has only been linked with Tannebaum in that same time frame.

Back
Top Bottom