Michael Crabtree visiting | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michael Crabtree visiting

Do you guys know for sure (or what has been reported) if he is basically fully recovered etc? Did not read through the whole thread so sorry if already mentioned but I think that will be the big question before they offer him a contract then it's going to be a question if he thinks it's enough.

he played all year last year..... so its his second full season out of the surgery. i hope miami really examines him as well as tests him out on the field first too.

but i havent heard much else on it. he hasnt had interest at all in FA until Miami now... Washington basically was reported to have some interest too as well. but Crabtree eeds to understand he gonna be cheap signing most likely.

I wouldn't mind the pick up as long as it doesn't prevent us from drafting another WO this year. I understand the need for a vet in the position meetings and for mentoring but I also wouldn't cast Crabtree as ideal for that role.

A whole 251 yards of YAC last year, which was 73rd in the league.

ESPN stats says 256 YAC for Crabtree good for #69 in the league.

But showing you how great a stat YAC is:

Mike Wallace had 251 YAC in 2014, which is ranked #75
Calvin Johnson had 244 YAC in 2014, which is ranked #78
Mike Evans had 179 YAC in 2014, which is ranked #126
Kelvin Benjamin had 173 YAC in 2014, which is ranked #131
Roddy White had 158 YAC in 2014, which is ranked #154

Tell me again how important YAC is? I just a few notable receivers. There's many more who had less YAC than Crabtree did in 2014.

YAC is important in regards to RT because he throws a short to intermediate ball well. Find players that can catch the ball and get up field and the team might have more success.

I think Crabtree can be a good YAC guy because the QB he was working with throws bullets and uncatchable balls. Crabtree would have more to work with in terms of Tannehill.

That said, I am interested in what Crabtree thinks he is worth in this market. I think it could be a tough negotiation.

The ceiling is 3 million . . . he's young enough to be on a "prove it" deal. We'll see if his mentality will allow himself to play for it.

ESPN stats says 256 YAC for Crabtree good for #69 in the league.

But showing you how great a stat YAC is:

Mike Wallace had 251 YAC in 2014, which is ranked #75
Calvin Johnson had 244 YAC in 2014, which is ranked #78
Mike Evans had 179 YAC in 2014, which is ranked #126
Kelvin Benjamin had 173 YAC in 2014, which is ranked #131
Roddy White had 158 YAC in 2014, which is ranked #154

Tell me again how important YAC is? I just a few notable receivers. There's many more who had less YAC than Crabtree did in 2014.

That's a very good example of what you're saying. I'm not sure if it was your post or someone else's yesterday that suggested the stat is overrated and that 'yards are yards' no matter how you get them. I think there's truth to that, although the ability to run after the catch is still relevant. Obviously, a receiver that makes a lot of sideline catches or quick hits over the middle will not pile up YAC. I think YAC is something best observed watching a player. It's a question of does this guy have the ability to make a catch and make defenders miss, pick up extra yards etc. without blowing a Hartline - I mean tire.

It's kind of like the Jarvis Landry stat on average yards per reception - it looks low at first glance but people do not take into account the number of balls he caught BEHIND the line of scrimmage (23 I believe) which impacts that average. The eye test is always the best test.

The ceiling is 3 million . . . he's young enough to be on a "prove it" deal. We'll see if his mentality will allow himself to play for it.

I'm all for the prove it deals...hopefully he gets his mind right and wants to show he is worth a big contract, then you let him bounce...but it allows us, for one season, to have the premier player he was suppose to be (or something in that area).

I agree with Hayden, he is going to want more, and wont surprise me if this is one of the free agents that visit but does not sign while here like most have. This assumes of course he shows them something on the field that the FO is happy with.

Back
Top Bottom