Mike McDaniel | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike McDaniel

they want to work off pa as much as possible and when the run game is rolling they can. No doubt.

I think tua is gonna prove over time best in an empty set ask offense where his process information can show most.

empty and rpo but the run portion of the rpo ask has to do its part...

any qb should be able to thrive in a play action based pass o gives you easy reads etc so I’m not saying don’t work out of it or anything I’m just saying I wouldn’t paint tua with that brush yet. I’ve seen a lot of QBs who if they don’t run a heavy pa based pass game the warts show up. Baker mayfield for example perfect example. You put too much on his plate and he implodes.

Tua is gonna have to show me that he needs that before I shift to it. And in the process he’d be showing me his warts etc. I just don’t think secondary pocket reads will prove to be his kryptonite
So you are actually saying that you believe Tua can handle more than what the Niners ask of their passing schemes?

So you are actually saying that you believe Tua can handle more than what the Niners ask of their passing schemes?

yes I’m saying I think he can handle more than what the 9ers ask of garrop

that’s one of the reasons I was so high on him as a prospect. Cause I figured he’d beat people with his mind from the pocket. I still think he can but I want to see more evidence of it in 2021 and I want to see an offense that ask more of that from him to figure out if all that rpo in college may have masked some of it.

I said it was possible then but I didn’t get the feeling that would prove to the case in the pros.

jury’s still out imo

You got to remember too the 9ers are running that entire offense thru a in line and flex tight end who is top shelf at both.

something Miami doesn’t have. Concepts wise unless we added something that was that dominant we’d be shifting into running our o thru something else. But that in line and flex play from that tight end drives not only the pass game but the run game too with regards to pa etc

they sprinkle in a run thru contact Jack of many trades types etc in the South Carolina kid who is a bull and they roll running backs out the wood work thru and never miss a beat.
Yea. The 49ers have done a hell of a job with personnel. I think if they could ever get the QB situation sorted out, you could be looking at a dynasty type team.

Dang I was hoping to keep salah out the division....feel like that dude will motivate players

they want to work off pa as much as possible and when the run game is rolling they can. No doubt.

I think tua is gonna prove over time best in an empty set ask offense where his process information can show most.

empty and rpo but the run portion of the rpo ask has to do its part...

any qb should be able to thrive in a play action based pass o gives you easy reads etc so I’m not saying don’t work out of it or anything I’m just saying I wouldn’t paint tua with that brush yet. I’ve seen a lot of QBs who if they don’t run a heavy pa based pass game the warts show up. Baker mayfield for example perfect example. You put too much on his plate and he implodes.

Tua is gonna have to show me that he needs that before I shift to it. And in the process he’d be showing me his warts etc. I just don’t think secondary pocket reads will prove to be his kryptonite
Yes, I kinda agree. If you take the plays and schemes Tua has run - this year, at 'bama, and even at his run and shoot influenced HS - they're different than the niners O. He'd be under center more in Mcdaniel's schemes as well. But if you take Tua as a collection of talents - accurate, mobile, can throw on the roll out, good foot coordination, fast learner (I think?), it could really work for him. And I'm biased I love that offensive system.

Chan loved empty set 5 wide. Last I looked about 2/3's of the way through this season, the dolphins led the league in 5 wide formations. 15-30 years ago Chan was an innovator with empty sets. He's still good at that I think. There's obvious disagreement on the overall job Chan did - he's gone, no sense overdebating it; but if empty sets are best for Tua, then maybe Godsey or some other younger Chan disciple would be best?

Dang I was hoping to keep salah out the division....feel like that dude will motivate players
He did a good job in San Fran last year. Hiring Mike Lafleur is an eye roll because we all really know why he got that OC job.

Yes, I kinda agree. If you take the plays and schemes Tua has run - this year, at 'bama, and even at his run and shoot influenced HS - they're different than the niners O. He'd be under center more in Mcdaniel's schemes as well. But if you take Tua as a collection of talents - accurate, mobile, can throw on the roll out, good foot coordination, fast learner (I think?), it could really work for him. And I'm biased I love that offensive system.

Chan loved empty set 5 wide. Last I looked about 2/3's of the way through this season, the dolphins led the league in 5 wide formations. 15-30 years ago Chan was an innovator with empty sets. He's still good at that I think. There's obvious disagreement on the overall job Chan did - he's gone, no sense overdebating it; but if empty sets are best for Tua, then maybe Godsey or some other younger Chan disciple would be best?

chan installed an offense though that by and large with some rpo and pistol exceptions was designed for fitz.

its hard to say for sure how tua is gonna fare in empty over time but I definitely saw growth with it from the Rams game where he didn’t have a plan to the latter part of the season.

i was amazed how much pistol we ran at the end of the year though I mean good grief and I don’t recall seeing fitz in much of it other than occasionally in tua relief likely cause they practiced it all week for the gameplan and Gailey called it with fitz even. Just not anywhere near at the same clip. How many back to the defense pistol pa boots did we see with fitz? None. We ran them things out the nose til the defense just aligned a little wider edge and rushed up field not worried about the run action on the other side cause we couldn’t run the ball with any authority any ways and he booted into the rush even off a clean release as a result. Leaving levels concepts mid level and underneath. Rush basically forcing the dirt throw away or the underneath concept essentially dump in the flats. Here’s 4 yards that we had to bleed a turnip for

Last edited:
The challenge becomes do we have the horses upfront to run zone? We have maulers and not guys fleet of foot.
I think some of the OL scheme fit for zone vs power concepts is a bit overblown, but there is some creedance to it. In general, I’m of the opinion that it’s harder to take a unit built for zone and transition to power than the other way around.

Worst case scenario in the zone scheme is your OL doesnt climb to the 2nd level fast enough. Zone runs have natural cut backs anyway, so as long as you can get in the way you have a shot. Much better than having a finesse OL reliant on bullying guys off the LOS to gain 3

So let’s take a look at our current personnel. Can these guys play in a zone scheme?

Austin Jackson - absolutely, probably an ideal scheme fit

Flowers - Hard no

Karras - moves well enough, doesn’t get a ton of push anyway. This works

Kindley - probably less than ideal mobility, but we can make it work. Once he gets rolling in one direction, he’s tough. More of a leaner anyway. This works

Hunt - kick him inside and he’s a stud in this scheme. At OT, idk he could get exposed.

Kick Hunt inside, send Flowers packing (probably should happen anyway TBH) and grab Darrisaw/Mayfield/Slater and you’ve got a darn good OL no matter the scheme.

Ahmed was built for a zone running game, thus why he was on the SF PS to begin with. Gaskins skill set would work as well.

Back
Top Bottom