Mike McDaniel | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike McDaniel

If you look at McDaniels history there is zero question about the scheme he would bring. Aside from a brief stint in the UFL he has been working under the Shanahans (and Kubiak) his entire career.

As others have said, would require some changes (to out it lightly) for offensive personnel but the idea of Tua in that system is very intriguing

that system is ver

hmmm interesting thing is, I said a while back that i thought it'd be good to bring in the Kubiak system. Just dont know if our OL are agile enough to attack the knees....which i've always thought was BS (as a former HS DL, where as all HS OL do is attack knees).

Didnt we have a OC that tried the ZBS once or am i mistaken @ChambersWI

hmmm interesting thing is, I said a while back that i thought it'd be good to bring in the Kubiak system. Just dont know if our OL are agile enough to attack the knees....which i've always thought was BS (as a former HS DL, where as all HS OL do is attack knees).

Didnt we have a OC that tried the ZBS once or am i mistaken @ChambersWI

We had Jon Benton as OL coach who was with Kubiak in Houston and is now with Shanahan in San Francisco. I dont believe we ever fully committed to the zone blocking scheme however... I know Joe Schad has said in interviews a big complaint by thr OL he talked to was thwack of continuity in scheme when Gasr and Philbin were here

yes I’m saying I think he can handle more than what the 9ers ask of garrop

that’s one of the reasons I was so high on him as a prospect. Cause I figured he’d beat people with his mind from the pocket. I still think he can but I want to see more evidence of it in 2021 and I want to see an offense that ask more of that from him to figure out if all that rpo in college may have masked some of it.

I said it was possible then but I didn’t get the feeling that would prove to the case in the pros.

jury’s still out imo

I think that's a bonus, but Tua's footwork and timing fit really well within the offense, and for almost all QB's, PA is going to be more efficient on base downs. So, assuming this guy knows Shanahan's offense for real, I'd be really happy with the hire for Tua.

OL and TE are a different story, but if McDaniel is the real deal, I think it'd be worth the needed adjustments. Idk if he is the real deal, but he's the most interesting option Miami has interviewed imo. If Miami wanted to move on from Gesicki, I think he'd have value as a trade asset.

Tua would still get plenty of opportunities to operate out of empty, and I agree that - with better weapons - he should thrive. But, that just makes the offense dangerous in more situations than teams like SF or the Rams, whose QB's limit their ability to thrive in obvious passing situations or against particular looks/teams.

I think that's a bonus, but Tua's footwork and timing fit really well within the offense, and for almost all QB's, PA is going to be more efficient on base downs. So, assuming this guy knows Shanahan's offense for real, I'd be really happy with the hire for Tua.

OL and TE are a different story, but if McDaniel is the real deal, I think it'd be worth the needed adjustments. Idk if he is the real deal, but he's the most interesting option Miami has interviewed imo. If Miami wanted to move on from Gesicki, I think he'd have value as a trade asset.

Tua would still get plenty of opportunities to operate out of empty, and I agree that - with better weapons - he should thrive. But, that just makes the offense dangerous in more situations than teams like SF or the Rams, whose QB's limit their ability to thrive in obvious passing situations or against particular looks/teams.

I just don’t want it to become a crutch unless it shows it has to be and then I’m probably gonna take a bit of a pivot on tuas ceiling frankly.

as for gesicki what do you think he’s worth in trade? I don’t think it will happen but doesn’t hurt to spit ball it either.

I think friermuth might be that kinda guy he’s not as twitchy as kittle but he’s got an ideal frame for in line blocking development and can do damage in the pass game from in line and flexed.

I don’t even know what his injury was he went out for the season with though...

and I agree McDaniel does look to be the most interesting option. Most meat on tbe bone one

Grateful that Saleh took the guy not on our OC candidate list. I really think McDaniel will end up being the guy. I’m extremely happy that we have a defense minded coach and that he wants the run game to succeed.
Wow, I thought he would take McDaniel for sure. Lafleur just seems super bleh.

Excellent for us.

Wonder if they look at pitts with that second first even if it requires a trade up

he’d give you that separation which if my flex can’t block I see as a requirement

is it a tell at the next level sure it is see if you can cover it when I design iso opportunities for it. I saw him win inside quickly against Patrick surtain when split even.

but again I don’t see how they could carry gesicki and pitts and find snaps for both and not pay dearly in the run/pass pro side of things. Which is why you shouldn’t have both and ones likely to spend a lot of time on the sideline

Before I get too excited at the prospect of hiring McDaniel, is there any reason why he wouldn't just stay with the 49ers after being moved into a full time OC role now that LeFleur is gone?

One thing is clear to me - IF McDaniel AND Canada are legitimate candidates (not just courtesy interviews for an internal hire), Flores has still not committed to what he wants his offense to look like.

Both offenses are pretty different, and would require different offseason plans in terms of personnel.

The problem with that line of thinking is this has become a passing league. This isn't the 70's, 80's, or 90's where you had to run the ball to win. Nowadays you have to have a dominate passing game or you have no shot.

KC made there run last year by leaning on Williams. Then drafting Helaire.

The running game gets you into January, no run game ala GB and you get humiliated on national TV.

Before I get too excited at the prospect of hiring McDaniel, is there any reason why he wouldn't just stay with the 49ers after being moved into a full time OC role now that LeFleur is gone?

Because he doesn't call plays, Shanahan does, just like Reid in KC. And why I think Bienemy is struggling to land a HC gig.

Why anyone wants a co offensive coaching asst I don't know.

Because he doesn't call plays, Shanahan does, just like Reid in KC. And why I think Bienemy is struggling to land a HC gig.

Why anyone wants a co offensive coaching asst I don't know.
From the sounds of it, he's a star in the making and a bunch of his players have ridiculously glowing reviews that go beyond just the "oh he's good". It helps that with him controlling the run game I could probably rush for 80 yards and a TD a game.

Back
Top Bottom