Mike McDaniel | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike McDaniel

I think some of the OL scheme fit for zone vs power concepts is a bit overblown, but there is some creedance to it. In general, I’m of the opinion that it’s harder to take a unit built for zone and transition to power than the other way around.

Worst case scenario in the zone scheme is your OL doesnt climb to the 2nd level fast enough. Zone runs have natural cut backs anyway, so as long as you can get in the way you have a shot. Much better than having a finesse OL reliant on bullying guys off the LOS to gain 3

So let’s take a look at our current personnel. Can these guys play in a zone scheme?

Austin Jackson - absolutely, probably an ideal scheme fit

Flowers - Hard no

Karras - moves well enough, doesn’t get a ton of push anyway. This works

Kindley - probably less than ideal mobility, but we can make it work. Once he gets rolling in one direction, he’s tough. More of a leaner anyway. This works

Hunt - kick him inside and he’s a stud in this scheme. At OT, idk he could get exposed.

Kick Hunt inside, send Flowers packing (probably should happen anyway TBH) and grab Darrisaw/Mayfield/Slater and you’ve got a darn good OL no matter the scheme.

Ahmed was built for a zone running game, thus why he was on the SF PS to begin with. Gaskins skill set would work as well.

Good stuff! I will say this puts Sewell in play for Miami at 3. Coach Flo absolutely is the type of old school coach that will try and establish the run before establishing the passing game.

I think some of the OL scheme fit for zone vs power concepts is a bit overblown, but there is some creedance to it. In general, I’m of the opinion that it’s harder to take a unit built for zone and transition to power than the other way around.

Worst case scenario in the zone scheme is your OL doesnt climb to the 2nd level fast enough. Zone runs have natural cut backs anyway, so as long as you can get in the way you have a shot. Much better than having a finesse OL reliant on bullying guys off the LOS to gain 3

So let’s take a look at our current personnel. Can these guys play in a zone scheme?

Austin Jackson - absolutely, probably an ideal scheme fit

Flowers - Hard no

Karras - moves well enough, doesn’t get a ton of push anyway. This works

Kindley - probably less than ideal mobility, but we can make it work. Once he gets rolling in one direction, he’s tough. More of a leaner anyway. This works

Hunt - kick him inside and he’s a stud in this scheme. At OT, idk he could get exposed.

Kick Hunt inside, send Flowers packing (probably should happen anyway TBH) and grab Darrisaw/Mayfield/Slater and you’ve got a darn good OL no matter the scheme.

Ahmed was built for a zone running game, thus why he was on the SF PS to begin with. Gaskins skill set would work as well.

I like zone myself but I think you are a year early on them sending flowers packing and I can’t imagine anyone takes on that $10 mil in trade.

jackson I think would be an ideal fit and Hunt kicked inside would do work too.

slater is listed at 6 foot 3 305 that’s pretty much pivot size I got to wonder where he’s gonna line up in the pros. Isiah Wynn is 6 foot 2 and plays left tackle for the pats so I’m not ruling it out but that frame seems like it may be earmarked for center maybe? I don’t know I haven’t watched enough of him to have a real opinion he’s got good feet though and he moves better to the second level than Hunt

I like zone myself but I think you are a year early on them sending flowers packing and I can’t imagine anyone takes on that $10 mil in trade.

jackson I think would be an ideal fit and Hunt kicked inside would do work too.

slater is listed at 6 foot 3 305 that’s pretty much pivot size I got to wonder where he’s gonna line up in the pros. Isiah Wynn is 6 foot 2 and plays left tackle for the pats so I’m not ruling it out but that frame seems like it may be earmarked for center maybe? I don’t know I haven’t watched enough of him to have a real opinion he’s got good feet though and he moves better to the second level than Hunt
You’re probably right on them not cutting ties with Flowers yet. Especially given that they finally have depth upfront after so many years of barely being able to field 5.

I just firmly believe it’s time to end the Hunt at OT experiment. Not that he was necessarily bad there, but he has the makings of a high caliber OG. It’s going to happen eventually, get him in there now and let him start learning the position.

Add to that the way Kindley looked playing the LG spot, it kind of leaves Flowers the odd man out.

RE: Slater, I was skeptical of him at OT to begin with. Especially once he started getting Robert Hunt comps (see above). But man, his feet are so dang good it’s hard to ignore. He might end up being closer to Wirfs than Hunt. Wirfs was a kick inside candidate as well, but he’s proving that he’s an OT

You’re probably right on them not cutting ties with Flowers yet. Especially given that they finally have depth upfront after so many years of barely being able to field 5.

I just firmly believe it’s time to end the Hunt at OT experiment. Not that he was necessarily bad there, but he has the makings of a high caliber OG. It’s going to happen eventually, get him in there now and let him start learning the position.

Add to that the way Kindley looked playing the LG spot, it kind of leaves Flowers the odd man out.

RE: Slater, I was skeptical of him at OT to begin with. Especially once he started getting Robert Hunt comps (see above). But man, his feet are so dang good it’s hard to ignore. He might end up being closer to Wirfs than Hunt. Wirfs was a kick inside candidate as well, but he’s proving that he’s an OT

I think kindley looks like active depth more to me the more he played. Wirfs I still think might be best at guard probably an all pro there but he’s been solid no doubt at tackle.

I’m with you on Hunt I think that kids best suited for guard. He doesn’t have the feet to play in that much space but they like his run blocking from there and maybe you sacrifice a little of that kicking him inside. Maybe

I think kindley looks like active depth more to me the more he played. Wirfs I still think might be best at guard probably an all pro there but he’s been solid no doubt at tackle.

I’m with you on Hunt I think that kids best suited for guard. He doesn’t have the feet to play in that much space but they like his run blocking from there and maybe you sacrifice a little of that kicking him inside. Maybe
Don’t disagree on the Kindley eval. The one thing that always made he hesitate with him is his hand usage. It’s almost non-existent. He really leans on guys, and not in the good way.

However, he’s cheap and young and definitely has the attitude of a guy you project up. Not sure if you can ever get the “lean” out of a guy, but you can help them with a scheme fit - hint hint zone

Don’t disagree on the Kindley eval. The one thing that always made he hesitate with him is his hand usage. It’s almost non-existent. He really leans on guys, and not in the good way.

However, he’s cheap and young and definitely has the attitude of a guy you project up. Not sure if you can ever get the “lean” out of a guy, but you can help them with a scheme fit - hint hint zone

I just think he regressed to the mean over the course of the season. Sloppy in some aspects. Effort masked some of his short comings.

austin Jackson regressed but there’s just a different level of upside there and more easily to bank on it in time too (which I’m sure Miami is gonna do)

So the next question becomes if you were gonna move Hunt inside (which I would) would you draft Sewell at 3 and kick him over to the right side which might be less than ideal ask of the player?

I don’t think you want to move jackson. I wouldn’t do it

More than just showing he's an OT, Wirfs would be ROY if it was just how good you are at your position. Wirfs is in the argument for best RT in the game this year. I loved Wirfs and Bechton as prospects last year. I don't see anyone at that level this year, including Slater, and to my eye even Penei. BUT experienced scouts see Sewell as the best in years, and I'll trust that over my Pac 12 viewing eyes.

So the next question becomes if you were gonna move Hunt inside (which I would) would you draft Sewell at 3 and kick him over to the right side which might be less than ideal ask of the player?

I don’t think you want to move jackson. I wouldn’t do it
While I don’t want to stunt a guy like AJ’s growth, he did play RT as a freshman. Hard to say without the information necessary

add on: I’d probably just try and grab Mayfield later in R1 and let him roll at RT

While I don’t want to stunt a guy like AJ’s growth, he did play RT as a freshman. Hard to say without the information necessary

i think we’d be miscasting jackson. From a strength game to a feet one even. I just think he’s made to play left tackle. And in another year he might be a top 10 one if he can make the offseason program strides his athleticism and feet have in him.

i haven’t taken much of a look at Sewell either I’ve just heard since he was a freshman he was the next big thing

Grateful that Saleh took the guy not on our OC candidate list. I really think McDaniel will end up being the guy. I’m extremely happy that we have a defense minded coach and that he wants the run game to succeed.

I love bad jokes

I need this guy
Must-Watch-Video-of-the-Week-Progressive-Keeps-You-From-Becoming-Your-Parents.jpg

Good stuff! I will say this puts Sewell in play for Miami at 3. Coach Flo absolutely is the type of old school coach that will try and establish the run before establishing the passing game.
The problem with that line of thinking is this has become a passing league. This isn't the 70's, 80's, or 90's where you had to run the ball to win. Nowadays you have to have a dominate passing game or you have no shot.

Back
Top Bottom