More details on Fangio's departure | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More details on Fangio's departure

I'm not a fan of Fangio, but I'm sure that he wouldn't appreciate taking advice and/or orders from a guy who has absolutely no experience calling plays, making adjustments, or managing a game.
Tough. Don't take the job then. A coordinator is subordinate to the HC.

Funny how the defense was getting praised in second half for picking up the system, Fangio did an admirable job considering the injuries, and it was the offense that faltered most down the stretch.

Fangio leaves, so now he was a curmudgeon that couldn’t work well with others…. Sounds familiar. The Dolphins FO is in damage control mode imo.
This stuff is not coming from Grier, McD etc.

I wish we had heeded the red flags, before hiring Vic. Not easy, I wanted him back then too. But now, between insisting on keeping Boyer and hiring the guy whose heart was in Philly all along; Phins are restarting with yet another DC in a pivotal year. Not ideal. 😒
I thought at the time, and still do, that retaining Boyer the first year was the right way to go.

I'm not sold on the "being forced" hypothesis. As far as I can see, that's merely speculation without solid evidence it ever happened that way.

I know some now accept it as fact but I have seen nothing conclusive indicating that was the case. At the time I recall it was suggested as a way to maintain continuity on that side of the ball for a young, first time HC who, given the debacle that was the offense, was going to already have a lot on his plate.

I thought at the time, and still do, that retaining Boyer the first year was the right way to go.

I'm not sold on the "being forced" hypothesis. As far as I can see, that's merely speculation without solid evidence it ever happened that way.

I know some now accept it as fact but I have seen nothing conclusive indicating that was the case. At the time I recall it was suggested as a way to maintain continuity on that side of the ball for a young, first time HC who, given the debacle that was the offense, was going to already have a lot on his plate.
Yeah, was keeping it short - was going to add both decisions seemed to make sense at the time. I don't think McD did any actual arguing against Boyer. I didn't do much either on the board. But we ended up here...

I dont quite understand, you would think these conversations would be done during the interview process, like expectations from the defense coordinator the front office is looking for (collaborative effort) . front office could have checked references and found out early on about Fangio's personality.
That’s how good organizations do it, yes.

Let me give you a hypothetical.

Late in a game, McD tells him he wants to play it a certain way. He has earned the right to, basically, say "screw you", and do what he wants?

I don't think so.

Another hypothetical. Game week, and the HC wants to employ a certain game plan, in an attempt to take certain things away from an opponent. VD has earned the right to ignore his instructions, and put in a different game plan?

Again, I don't think so. That sounds like a Mike Ditka/Buddy Ryan situation.

It isn't going to work, and VD has to acknowledge and understand that, particularly being an ex-HC.
It might have been in his contract. We don’t know.

It always amazes me just how many older coaches... guys who were quite savvy in their younger years, become so stuck in their ways that they stop listening to new ideas.

Shula did this... and Bellicheat... now Fangio evidently.

It's sad really.
I think that works both ways..........Andy Reid immediately comes to mind. He is about the same age as Fangio and has a completely different styles that actually endears him to coaches and players.

On the flip side, you have Sirianni in Philly who is 25 years younger and and acts like a punk at times.

Ego comes in all shapes and sizes.....and ages.....

It might have been in his contract. We don’t know.
Many are making statements like they do know. Saying he is in charge of the defense is not the same as him being able to unilaterally overrule the HC in all situations.

All I can say is that if something that specific was, McD and Grier are morons for accepting it.

Let me give you a hypothetical.

Late in a game, McD tells him he wants to play it a certain way. He has earned the right to, basically, say "screw you", and do what he wants?

I don't think so.

Another hypothetical. Game week, and the HC wants to employ a certain game plan, in an attempt to take certain things away from an opponent. VD has earned the right to ignore his instructions, and put in a different game plan?

Again, I don't think so. That sounds like a Mike Ditka/Buddy Ryan situation.

It isn't going to work, and VD has to acknowledge and understand that, particularly being an ex-HC.

I'm really surprised you have to explain this......

I'll add another element to this from the HC's perspective......this style of being the only voice in the room and everything has to be his idea or decision has the unintended consequence of building a very weak coaching staff. Everything is based on one man and when he leaves, everyone else is doing their job at a different level for the first time.

In leadership, part of your responsibility is to leave the role / position in better condition than what you received it in. That is hard to accomplish when you don't let others be part of the process

Funny how the defense was getting praised in second half for picking up the system, Fangio did an admirable job considering the injuries, and it was the offense that faltered most down the stretch.

Fangio leaves, so now he was a curmudgeon that couldn’t work well with others…. Sounds familiar. The Dolphins FO is in damage control mode imo.
praise, yes. Performance? not so much... They looked good against the Jets, though

Back
Top Bottom