Most expensive Dolphins in 2014 per GO ESPN | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most expensive Dolphins in 2014 per GO ESPN

Perfect72

It's Only Happened ONCE!
Reaction score
The Miami Dolphins are searching for a new general manager after parting ways with Jeff Ireland last week. One of the biggest jobs for Miami’s new GM will be analyzing the roster.

Despite a spending spree last year in free agency, Miami goes into the 2014 offseason in solid shape with the salary cap. The fact the Dolphins have more than 20 unrestricted and restricted free agents has a lot to do with it.

At right is a chart of the 10 most expensive salary-cap charges for the Dolphins in 2014.

The new Dolphins GM certainly has some decisions to make with their 10 most expensive players. For example, two players on this list are coming off season-ending injuries. Cornerback Dimitri Patterson (groin) and receiver Brandon Gibson (knee) ended the 2013 season on injured reserve.

Noticeably missing from this list is Dolphins starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill. He is the 12th most expensive player on the roster with a cap charge of $3.455 million next season. That is peanuts for a starting NFL quarterback. Tannehill is entering the third year of his rookie contract.

Here are the 10 most expensive players for Miami in 2014:
Player'14 Cap Charge
1. WR Mike Wallace$17.25M
2. LB Dannell Ellerbe$7.425M
3. De Cameron Wake$7.285M
4. LB Philip Wheeler$6.4M
5. WR Brian Hartline$6.21M
6. QB Matt Moore$5.5M
7. CB Dimitri Patterson$5.4M
8. DE Dion Jordan$4.676M
9. WR Brandon Gibson$3.735M
10. S Reshad Jones$3.61M
Source: Roster Management System

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/68570/most-expensive-dolphins-in-2014

if the new gm does anything at qb it should be lose that $5.5 mil cap number for matt moore...yeesh what a waste... it's pretty bad when only one out of your top 10 highest paid players is special on the field...wallace number is just so large you could never call that good value even though i like what the player brings to the table for us

Most of those contracts drop considerably after 2014 which will free up a lot of cap space but...talk about misplaced money. Ellerbe getting paid more than Wake? Patterson is our highest paid DB? Yikes, we've got some overvalued players.

Wheeler has to go and patterson restructured ti an incentive based contract or he gets cut. I can live with ellerby but we need a physical presence at LB. And as much as I like Matt Moore its time to go. We need that 5.5 mil for some offensive line help.

So heres the question, if you had the option of cutting that entire list as group without a cap hit, would you? It would suck losing Wake, but I would do it in a heartbeat. How bad does your GM suck for this to even be a consideration? And to think Ross was going to keep him.

So heres the question, if you had the option of cutting that entire list as group without a cap hit, would you? It would suck losing Wake, but I would do it in a heartbeat. How bad does your GM suck for this to even be a consideration? And to think Ross was going to keep him.

No

if the new gm does anything at qb it should be lose that $5.5 mil cap number for matt moore...yeesh what a waste... it's pretty bad when only one out of your top 10 highest paid players is special on the field...wallace number is just so large you could never call that good value even though i like what the player brings to the table for us

Agreed. He was the first number I saw. Phillip Wheeler is the other guy on that list whose cap hit needs to get lower.

Wake is the first guy id keep, probowl defensive end and your best defensive player. Are you a jets fan? You'd rather keep wheeler at a higher number? The guy who can't cover a 3rd string TE or tackle a wide receiver? Wallace at close to 18 is a joke.

I like Moore a lot too, but that is too rich for a backup. Maybe, you ask him to restructure...
I see 2 guys on that list worth what they are paid. Wake and Gibson, damn shame

Does everyone understand that the cap hits this year are based on players taking little last year, and the numbers averaging out this year. Let's take Wallace. Last year, his salary was $1M, and this year is $15M. It averaged out to his FA value. Same is true with the few others mentined, aside from Moore.

Only on the dolphins would the back up qb make more than the starter. Thanks Jeffy.

Back
Top Bottom