Most expensive Dolphins in 2014 per GO ESPN | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most expensive Dolphins in 2014 per GO ESPN

Most of those contracts drop considerably after 2014 which will free up a lot of cap space but..

huh???

aside from wallace and wheeler they all go up.

ellerbe 9.8
wake 9.7
jones 7.8
hartline 7.3
jordan 5.6
gibson 4.2

So.. to all of the idiots strongly thinking Moore should be cut.. What the hell happens when RT gets injured? Plug in Pat Devlin who's never played a snap in this league and everything will be ok? Ok lol I agree his number is high for a backup but I would negotiate a restructure before flat out cutting the guy. Wheeler needs to go, this guy didn't cut it for the stinkin raiders yet Jeffy boy gives him a ton of money, that shows you how incompetent that momo was. Patterson is good when healthy (4 INT's in 4 starts) I'd bring him back on a cheaper deal givin he can stay healthy.

So.. to all of the idiots strongly thinking Moore should be cut.. What the hell happens when RT gets injured? Plug in Pat Devlin who's never played a snap in this league and everything will be ok? Ok lol I agree his number is high for a backup but I would negotiate a restructure before flat out cutting the guy. Wheeler needs to go, this guy didn't cut it for the stinkin raiders yet Jeffy boy gives him a ton of money, that shows you how incompetent that momo was. Patterson is good when healthy (4 INT's in 4 starts) I'd bring him back on a cheaper deal givin he can stay healthy.

Tell me how Wheeler didn't cut it for the Raiders? Should be interesting to hear, as it is completely untrue. :)

Only on the dolphins would the back up qb make more than the starter. Thanks Jeffy.

This happens with almost every rookie quarterback situation. This has nothing to do with Jeff Ireland.

Tell me how Wheeler didn't cut it for the Raiders? Should be interesting to hear, as it is completely untrue. :)

When a team as bad as the raiders we're last year with a defensive unit that lacked play makers are not interested in your services, you didn't cut it. 78 solo tackles, 106 total and 3 sacks is mediocre in this league genius, not worth the pay day he got and the lack of plays he made here. Mop up duty tackles won't get you anywhere, he stayed getting burnt by back up tight ends and receivers. Please explain why we should keep him sir..... I'd love to hear it.

Get rid of Wheeler, Patterson and Moore for starters. Restructure Wake and Ellerbe (Not sure if Wallace can even be restructured one year into that huge deal)quote

Yes it was mentioned that Wallace could restructure , to sign him into a longer deal im not sure where i read it but that was mentioned ....

[/COLOR]It may not be popular but maybe even trade Wake (might be able to get a first for him. 2nd at the minimum) while he still has value. He was a shell of himself last year overall. I digress, if the new GM is as good at drafting players with the picks we got in trade, as Ireland was, keep him!

noway would i trade wake , if anything i would restructure his contract for a couple more years,, with more guaranteed money, and the guaranteed
money wouldnt count against the salary cap ,, and would bring down the amount that is being paid to him /them , this year , say we owe Wallace 7 mil this year we could actually sign him to say an extra 2 years with the 7 mil in signing bonus , instead of it going against the cap , say we did that with wheeler , and bring his contract down a bit or either release him ..

When a team as bad as the raiders we're last year with a defensive unit that lacked play makers are not interested in your services, you didn't cut it. 78 solo tackles, 106 total and 3 sacks is mediocre in this league genius, not worth the pay day he got and the lack of plays he made here. Mop up duty tackles won't get you anywhere, he stayed getting burnt by back up tight ends and receivers. Please explain why we should keep him sir..... I'd love to hear it.

Well Ireland passed on him the previous year for the minimum then all of a sudden pays him quite a contract. Reason number one hundred we needed a new GM

noway would i trade wake , if anything i would restructure his contract for a couple more years,, with more guaranteed money, and the guaranteed
money wouldnt count against the salary cap ,, and would bring down the amount that is being paid to him /them , this year , say we owe Wallace 7 mil this year we could actually sign him to say an extra 2 years with the 7 mil in signing bonus , instead of it going against the cap , say we did that with wheeler , and bring his contract down a bit or either release him ..

What people don't realize is very seldom do u ever save money long term by restructuring a contract. Its usually just conversion of salary to bonus to lower salary hit for year.
As for Wake no reason to touch his contract its a fair contract for a damn good player. As for trading him, hell if the right offer came up yes I would trade our 31 year old DE.

The LB's stand out to me. Ellerbe was a huge paycheck for a MLB. He has been good, but not sure he has quite lived up to that paycheck yet. Wheeler, whom I had hoped would be better, has really been a disappointment, especially in coverage. Moore I don't see as quite the luxury that some do, because having a veteran QB to help tutor our young QB and fill in when/if he gets hurt is very valuable. Plus, while Tannehill has proven to be durable, eventually every team plays their backup QB and that is the most important position in football.

Gibson I have to say was worth it ... which surprised me. Now he just needs to stay healthy. Patterson is a tougher nut to crack. He was available because he's injury prone. The guy is obviously good, and good players like him seldom hit the waiver wire without some issue. So, we paid a high rate because quality CB's are hard to find. If we let him go, I'm confident that he will find work and a similar salary somewhere. But, can we find a good starting CB with durability? Jamar Taylor simply didn't seem healthy enough to play, and given his anti-infamatories issue his protracted injury makes me doubtful that he can ever be our long term starting answer. Will Davis has some good ability, but he's a longer term project and not ready to start in 2014 IMHO. Given Nolan Carroll's season, I seriously doubt we splash the cash needed to resign him. So, after we splash the cash to resign Grimes (necessary), Soliai (irreplaceable), and Clemons (very solid season and progression as a player) are we going to spend big for yet another CB? Are we going to draft another one in round 2? That's a tough question.

Hartline earned his money, and despite all the naysayers, he was our best re-sign this past offseason. Jordan is on his rookie contract and showed definite flashes, but must improve in many areas. Reshad Jones was my biggest disappointment. After his one breakout year and me advocating his re-signing ... he came out flat and average. Not bad, but not up to his potential. I'm looking for him to bounce back.

if the new gm does anything at qb it should be lose that $5.5 mil cap number for matt moore...yeesh what a waste... it's pretty bad when only one out of your top 10 highest paid players is special on the field...wallace number is just so large you could never call that good value even though i like what the player brings to the table for us

Your singing a different tune on Wallace if Tannehill were able to hit the guy in stride. I keep posting it and i wont stop because Dolfans have a very short memory: Mike Wallace left every CB he faced this season in the dust at least once and Tannehill could not hit him. Wallace was brought here to do exactly that. As bad as Ireland was, he knew he was paying 90% of the guy's salary for that and that alone. And he was right. We left a ton of huge plays on the field. I dont care if Wallace drops three 10 yard passes and neither will you, as long as he's catching 40 and then some yard touchdowns. Now, the minute he cant do that, through no fault of his own mind you, we are up in arms. Yes, there is credence to the one-dimensional argument but you wont care when he's catching bombs for TDs. Believe you me. And lets not even mention Shermans inability or unwillingness to put the guy in mismatches, motions, etc. And i'd like to forget that highschool WR screen that worked once for more than 3 yards the entire season which you could identify presnap from the bbq with one eye on the meat and the other half drunk.

On point with Moore. As much as i like him thats is too expensive.

Patterson is not worth the money either especially when you spent early picks on 2 CBs last year.

The LBs, whats there to say? You cant blame Ireland for those signings as much as they didnt earn their paychecks. The Coyle hasnt been very creative either. Their young. We know the talent is there. Nothing we can do but root and hope.

WTF happened to Reshard Jones? Divorce? Death of family member?

Even after all that, we're a playoff team.

Fix the OL so next year an OT and G are on that list earning their pay.

In the 2012 NFL season, there were 26 OLB who played at least half of their teams snaps in a 4-3 D. Of those 26, Wheeler ranked #6 overall. He was #2 in the pass rush with 3 sacks, 14 hits, and 13 hurries. The sacks were #7 and the overall pressures were #2.

He ranked #5 in coverage, and #15 vs the run, and #8 in tackles. He missed 9 tackles in 1043 snaps, tied for #14-17, which was average but, with more plays than most.

Aside from the run and missed tackles, there was nothing average or mediocre in his play. True story.

The 2013 season was completely different. He missed twice as many tackles in 18, was not the same in cover but, did bring pressure on the QB with 1 sack, 4 hits, and 23 hurries, and #3 rank.

Just saying.. He is getting older and it shows. He certainly wasnt dominant this year as he was in the past. Although getting older are trying to fight off all those holding no calls is tough in and of itself

Restructuring Wake would be a pretty big slap in the face, considering how little we paid him in his first two years here, and that (arguably) we're still underpaying him. I would think there are better ways to work the roster than alienating your best player.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

read more:http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/68570/most-expensive-dolphins-in-2014

If we did not have to eat the cap #, I would cut Wallace. There is no way he is worth $17mil.

Who do you replace him with, realistically? Do you recall our receiver situation last year?

Only on the dolphins would the back up qb make more than the starter. Thanks Jeffy.

Actually it was a good deal. It was structured basically as a one year deal. 2014 Moore is scheduled to make $5.5m, but $4m of that is base. So if they cut him it's only a cap hit of $1.5m. It was basically a one year contract since they didn't have another option at back up. Moore will more than likely be cut. He could be brought back at a lower cost as well.

Matt Moore needs to go, if our starter goes down, we are screwed either way. No need to over pay a guy who will come in and still suck. Find a cheap serviceable back up and get those $5.5Mil to use on some Oline help. Patterson should be kept but not at that price, smaller 1 year deal to prove he can stay healthy, because him and Grimes were a great duo.

We are in good position cap wise in a year where there is not a lot of great free agents. Why would you want to push Wallaces deal back ? Pay him the 17 million this year and the rest of his contract is very reasonable. .

Not sure I agree the rest of his contract is reasonable
2015...$12.1 million cap hit
2016...$13.7 million cap hit
2017...$13.7 million cap hit

Back
Top Bottom