Most underrated/overrated players on team and league | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Most underrated/overrated players on team and league

BillsChamps2oo5 said:
I love Kelly, but I saw the SuperBowls.

LOL.

Jim Kelly, while in my book not as good as Dan, was great.

...but I'll never forget at The Orange Bowl when they did a Ceremony of Great Miami Hurricanes players.

Jim Kelly was the headliner. He was introduced first. Keep in mind that this is at half time of a Hurricanes football game.

The crowd BOOED him. :lol:

You tellin' me that the city of Miami isn't: The DOLPHINS, and then everyone else?? :lol:

Overated:

Vick: He is going through the same problems Randell Cunningham did early in his career. RC wasn't much of a passer early in his career(even though he had a cannon of an arm) but he could run and thats what seprated him. But it wasn't untill he landed w/ th Vikings that he learned its better to keep his butt in the pocket and use running as a last option. Vick right now thinks to run first pass later and the Eagles exposed this in the playoff game. Vick does not have to put up Peyton like #'s to be considered good , but he is going to have to learn that untill he can start putting up decent passing #'s his team has gone as far as its going to go. No matter how you look at it his main purpose back there is to pass not run

Jeremy Shocky- This guy has had one good year and it wasn't even that great a year, He has done sqwat since his rookie year. Yet people always like to put him in the top 5 as far as TE's go.

E.James-I don't think people realize how easy E.James has it in Indy. He almost never faces 8 in the Box even on running downs. Teams have to play the Colts deep and worry about the pass before they can even think about James.

T.Green- I think his O-Line should get more credit than he does. You give any QB in this league 5 seconds to throw the ball and they will put up monster numbers

N.O. coaching Staff- W/ the talent they have they should at least be making the playoffs as a 6th seed.

Underated:

J.Witten- He can Block and Catch. Runs great routes and always seems to find the hole in the defense. The Cowboys have found there TE for the next 10 years

S.Alexander- By far and away the most underated RB in the NFL. He has 62 TD's in 5 years plus almost 6000 yards at a 4.4 ypc avg. Those are his stats and he really has only played for 4 years(didn't really play his rookie year). He has the speed to break it long and the power to convert a 3rd and 1. Plus he has decent hands. He has done this w/ teams showing up to stop him by throwing 8 or 9 people in the box yet he continues to produce.

Adrian Wilson- Played on alot of bad Arizona teams yet is a great tackler and hardly ever gets beat in coverage

Overrated players: Every RB denver has had in the last 10 years. Every WR that plays accross from Randy Moss, or Terrell Owens. Every WR that hasnt caught a pass from anyone except Manning, Marino, Elway, Kelly, Montana, or other QB's that fit the mold.
Underrated Players: Every O-Lineman with a RB with over 1500 yards. Every WR that can make a catch with one hand and just the tips of their toes in bounds. Every second string QB that can come in to a game and lead their team to victory against all odds. Every Special Teams player worth keeping on a 53 man roster as a Special Teams Player.

I know this is kinda general but Vick is not over or under rated, Marino is not over or under rated, Brady is not over or under rated. infact most players are not over or under rated, and you cant say they are. The Falcons may have made it to the NFC championship game without vick (unlikely but you dont really know) my point is im sure without vick they would have a starter not a backup playing as there quarterback.

ricky williams said:
the stat thing: most will agree that dan's offense was taylor made for qb stat's in a time before 4 wr sets. all his records will be broken

runningback thing: if he could play action pass better or didn't audible out of so many running situations which don alowed then yes, they could have had a running game. he was partly responsible for this horrible stat. do you remember what a dan play action pass looked like. it was laughable.

defense: when u decide ur going to have a passing offense that throw as much as the dolphins did, ur defense is going to suffer because they are on the field to long. the same thing is happening w/ most of the pass happy offences of today. name me a team that throws it a ton and has a great defense

and still no late season heroics or playoff gifts. he was average in the playoffs. if you call leading them back getting them to the 50 yard line and having stoy hit a 51 yarder.

You just spent 4 paragraphs speculating again when I gave you facts.

It was Marino's fault the Phins could'nt draft a running back? It is Dan's fault that the Sammie Smith's and Lorenzo Hampton's of the world were just flat out bad?

Saying a passing teams defense is at a disadvantage is also somewhat false. Passing teams normally score more points and put there team out to early leads. This dictates that the opponent becomes one dimensional and is easier to defend. Dan had to throw a lot because they had no running game and their defense could'nt stop a damn high school team.

It's Dan's fault the defense could'nt stop anybody? That is crap. Try watching a damn football game. I watched those defenses...it was'nt Dan's fault they gave up 150 yards a game rushing. It was'nt Dan's fault that William Judson and Paul Lankford were the worst starting corner tandem in NFL history.

All his records will be broken? It took 20 years for the T.D. record to be broekn and that was because of the rule changes. Just because some of his records might fall does not lessen his greatness.

You stated that he was'nt good in the 4th quarter...I gave you numbers (he's 2nd all time)...then you come back with he was'nt good in the 4th quarter...good reasoning.

Name a team that throws a ton and wins and has a good defense (I consider a top 10 defense good enough to win for you).

2004 Patriots (World Champs):Offense: 13th in passing yardage, 5th in T.D. passes. Defense: 2nd in points allowed, 9th in yards against.

2003 Patriots (World Champs):Offense: 6th in passing attempts, 8th in passing yards Defense: 1st in points against, 7th in yards against

2001 Rams (NFC Champs):Offense: 1st in yards passing Defense: 3rd in points against, 7th in yards against.

1999 Rams (World Champs): Offense: 1st in yards passing Defense: 4th in points allowed, 7th in yards against.

1997 Packers (World Champs): Offense: 8th in passing yards. Defense: 5th in points allowed, 8th in yards against.

That is just the last few years. I did'nt go back to the 49er's teams that threw it a ton and played great defense.

Again, the point you are trying to make is pointless and has been defeated by reality. This is fun though...I'm enjoying it...

You spend a whole thread bashing the greatest player in franchise history and one of the Top 10 players to ever play the sport regardless of position...then again...your screen name is a pothead quitter piece of crap...I guess if Dan had quit on us you'd like him better.

unifiedtheory said:
You just spent 4 paragraphs speculating again when I gave you facts.

It was Marino's fault the Phins could'nt draft a running back? It is Dan's fault that the Sammie Smith's and Lorenzo Hampton's of the world were just flat out bad?

Saying a passing teams defense is at a disadvantage is also somewhat false. Passing teams normally score more points and put there team out to early leads. This dictates that the opponent becomes one dimensional and is easier to defend. Dan had to throw a lot because they had no running game and their defense could'nt stop a damn high school team.

It's Dan's fault the defense could'nt stop anybody? That is crap. Try watching a damn football game. I watched those defenses...it was'nt Dan's fault they gave up 150 yards a game rushing. It was'nt Dan's fault that William Judson and Paul Lankford were the worst starting corner tandem in NFL history.

All his records will be broken? It took 20 years for the T.D. record to be broekn and that was because of the rule changes. Just because some of his records might fall does not lessen his greatness.

You stated that he was'nt good in the 4th quarter...I gave you numbers (he's 2nd all time)...then you come back with he was'nt good in the 4th quarter...good reasoning.

Name a team that throws a ton and wins and has a good defense (I consider a top 10 defense good enough to win for you).

2004 Patriots (World Champs):Offense: 13th in passing yardage, 5th in T.D. passes. Defense: 2nd in points allowed, 9th in yards against.

2003 Patriots (World Champs):Offense: 6th in passing attempts, 8th in passing yards Defense: 1st in points against, 7th in yards against

2001 Rams (NFC Champs):Offense: 1st in yards passing Defense: 3rd in points against, 7th in yards against.

1999 Rams (World Champs): Offense: 1st in yards passing Defense: 4th in points allowed, 7th in yards against.

1997 Packers (World Champs): Offense: 8th in passing yards. Defense: 5th in points allowed, 8th in yards against.

That is just the last few years. I did'nt go back to the 49er's teams that threw it a ton and played great defense.

Again, the point you are trying to make is pointless and has been defeated by reality. This is fun though...I'm enjoying it...

You spend a whole thread bashing the greatest player in franchise history and one of the Top 10 players to ever play the sport regardless of position...then again...your screen name is a pothead quitter piece of crap...I guess if Dan had quit on us you'd like him better.

:allhail:

You just proved facts on what I was too lazy to research...

Although, I feel as strongly as you do about the subject.

BillsChamps2oo5 said:
I agree, Davey is a talented player rotting away on the bench, but he isnt even rated at all. Hes not overrated or underrated, he's not rated. You cant rate him.

Marino is probably the greatest pure passer of all time. Fin fans really have to think though, COuld you guys not run the ball for him because you couldnt, or he really didnt want to run the ball?

WHo knows, but I think he wanted to win it all with his arm, unlike ELway who just wanted to win it all, no matter how they did it.

What a bunch of BS because if you remember when Johnson took over team early on marino did not throw as much and said that it did not matter how many times he threw it he just wanted to win. Somepeople dont win championships because the teams are not good enough, you can be the greatest Qb and still not win because of supporting cast.

If memory serves me right the Falcons had a lot of injuries on defense during their horrible year without Vick. Also the NFC sucked last year. The Eagles were the only good team in the NFC last year.

for the dolphins

Underrated- Ricky Williams/David Boston. Both are extremely good at their position, and have loads of potential, but people think they are average at best.

Overrated- Jeno James

Mare is overpaid by salary, but alot of people dont have him up there as an elite PK.

League

Overrated- tom brady

the guys a great QB, but i dont think you can compare him pure talent wise with peyton manning.

Underrated- Joe Horn/Andre Johnson.

Joe Horn had 1400 yds and 11 tds last season. Hes one of the elite receivers in the league still i think, but people dont talk about him as much because hes getting old. Andre Johnson is a new receiver that is blooming ,but doesnt get much respect.

BillsChamps2oo5 said:
Well, Underrated in the NFL would be LB Donnie Edwards.

Overrated is Champ Bailey.

underated Donnie Edwards im with you......dude he shoulda made the pro bowl this year with no contest...

pwn3dyo said:
for the dolphins

Underrated- Ricky Williams/David Boston. Both are extremely good at their position, and have loads of potential, but people think they are average at best.

Overrated- Jeno James

Mare is overpaid by salary, but alot of people dont have him up there as an elite PK.

League

Overrated- tom brady

the guys a great QB, but i dont think you can compare him pure talent wise with peyton manning.

Underrated- Joe Horn/Andre Johnson.

Joe Horn had 1400 yds and 11 tds last season. Hes one of the elite receivers in the league still i think, but people dont talk about him as much because hes getting old. Andre Johnson is a new receiver that is blooming ,but doesnt get much respect.

Pure talent he probably does not compare to alot of QB's, but Brady has the intangible "it" that announcers love to use. I don't know how you can put a guy who beats Peyton Manning every year or so it seems in the playoffs when they have the 2 best teams in the AFC, and I do believe Indy was a better team than Pitt last year. Peyton Manning and Brady are both HOF QB's but if Brady wins another championship or 2 he's in the conversation as one of the greatest of all time, whether Phin fans wanna admit it or not.

Joneal7 said:
underated Donnie Edwards im with you......dude he shoulda made the pro bowl this year with no contest...

I agree, Fonoti is great, but are you a Charger fan, or a Dolfan?

Seriously. I'm really asking.

In the League:

Overrated:

Charles Woodson, Priest Holmes, Lavar Arrington

Underrated:

Teddi Bruschi, Antoine Winfield, Donnie Edwards

ricky williams said:
the stat thing: most will agree that dan's offense was taylor made for qb stat's in a time before 4 wr sets. all his records will be broken

runningback thing: if he could play action pass better or didn't audible out of so many running situations which don alowed then yes, they could have had a running game. he was partly responsible for this horrible stat. do you remember what a dan play action pass looked like. it was laughable.

defense: when u decide ur going to have a passing offense that throw as much as the dolphins did, ur defense is going to suffer because they are on the field to long. the same thing is happening w/ most of the pass happy offences of today. name me a team that throws it a ton and has a great defense

and still no late season heroics or playoff gifts. he was average in the playoffs. if you call leading them back getting them to the 50 yard line and having stoy hit a 51 yarder.
Words cannot describe how stupid you sound or how badly Id like to slap you.

Mod Note: You're free to debate the merits of a post, but not to denigrate other members.

This kind of post leads to personal feuding in the threads, and we're not going to host that -- or antagonism and provocation.

Back
Top Bottom