Moving Hunt to that LG spot... | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Moving Hunt to that LG spot...

Ja'Marr Chase should be in that conversation if you're looking at college production. His season with Burrow at QB, before he opted out, was one of the most dominating performances by a WR in college football. 84 receptions, 1780 yards and 20 TDs...he was uncoverable. To average over 20 yards per reception on 84 receptions is ridiculous.
I have maintained for months that Chase is the only WR that I would consider within the top 10... and for exactly the reasons you mentioned...

But... there is SO much depth in the WR pool this year, I'm not sure you jump on Chase quite as quickly as the others.

Now, in a trade down situation where you are shooting for more picks, and to extend some of them into next year, Chase might be my #1 target.

I have maintained for months that Chase is the only WR that I would consider within the top 10... and for exactly the reasons you mentioned...

But... there is SO much depth in the WR pool this year, I'm not sure you jump on Chase quite as quickly as the others.

Now, in a trade down situation where you are shooting for more picks, and to extend some of them into next year, Chase might be my #1 target.
I think you're overestimating the depth at WR in this draft. This draft does have a ton of slot WRs but not much on the boundary. It's pretty much Chase, Smith and Bateman on the outside. Then you have Waddle and Rondale Moore as the elite slot guys. We don't need to be spending high draft picks on slot receivers. We need elite route runners and guys who know how to get separation early in their routes. You miss out on those top 3 guys, Chase/Smith/Bateman, then you'll be complaining we didn't get the right WRs. It will be more of the Parker types who can't get separation and need those jump balls to be effective.

Not really a wrong answer. I won't be upset with any of the 3 scenarios. I'm leaning towards trading down and taking one of the 4 top WRs if we get offered a large haul. I don't regret the Tunsil trade one bit!

I think you're overestimating the depth at WR in this draft. This draft does have a ton of slot WRs but not much on the boundary. It's pretty much Chase, Smith and Bateman on the outside. Then you have Waddle and Rondale Moore as the elite slot guys. We don't need to be spending high draft picks on slot receivers. We need elite route runners and guys who know how to get separation early in their routes. You miss out on those top 3 guys, Chase/Smith/Bateman, then you'll be complaining we didn't get the right WRs. It will be more of the Parker types who can't get separation and need those jump balls to be effective.
I think that a 6'1" guy can play on the flank. Would I rather he was 6'4" and had similar speed? Yes, but many great receivers have been shorter. Olave might be the best route-runner in the class and that would play to Tua's strength of anticipation.

Clemson's Ross looks the part of a flanker. LSU's Marshall has impressed a lot of people. T. Terry is another one...

I still think the biggest difference between the ones that I've mentioned and the first round guys is mostly hype... There are some good receivers to be had in the second, and maybe even, third rounds. And having so many early picks means that we can move around for the guy we like that might slide a bit. I just don't see taking a WR in the fist ten picks as a value play... Oh, we may do it, but it is about my 4th or 5th choice.

I think that a 6'1" guy can play on the flank. Would I rather he was 6'4" and had similar speed? Yes, but many great receivers have been shorter. Olave might be the best route-runner in the class and that would play to Tua's strength of anticipation.

Clemson's Ross looks the part of a flanker. LSU's Marshall has impressed a lot of people. T. Terry is another one...

I still think the biggest difference between the ones that I've mentioned and the first round guys is mostly hype... There are some good receivers to be had in the second, and maybe even, third rounds. And having so many early picks means that we can move around for the guy we like that might slide a bit. I just don't see taking a WR in the fist ten picks as a value play... Oh, we may do it, but it is about my 4th or 5th choice.
I'm not an Olave fan. It's high risk IMO to take a guy from that offense. A lot of that production is scheme driven and not something I'd be willing to take a chance on.

Marshall is a nice player, good size and speed, but I don't see the route running from him that I'd like. Having watched every snap of a few of his games, he doesn't run his routes as hard when he's not the primary receiver, he gets lazy. I prefer a guy who sells every route like he's getting the ball.

I'll agree to disagree with you on the depth of this class. It's top-heavy IMO.

I'm not an Olave fan. It's high risk IMO to take a guy from that offense. A lot of that production is scheme driven and not something I'd be willing to take a chance on.

Marshall is a nice player, good size and speed, but I don't see the route running from him that I'd like. Having watched every snap of a few of his games, he doesn't run his routes as hard when he's not the primary receiver, he gets lazy. I prefer a guy who sells every route like he's getting the ball.

I'll agree to disagree with you on the depth of this class. It's top-heavy IMO.
Fair enough... I'm always good with agree to disagree... that is so much better than "I know everything and you are a doody head".

Way too early for a receiver in the 1st imo.
Since Calvin Johnson was picked in 2007, only 5 WR's picked in the top 10 have been worth the the selection. And that is including Corey Davis, who I simply can't leave out based on this season. But he was a dissapointment until this year, and definitely isn't a lock yet.

I have been vocal about not wanting a RB with any of our top picks. That's far from the case with me regarding WR's.

We all desperately want to boost this recieving core. And it's hard for me to say this bc I really like Chase. But recent draft history shows that it is best to select WRs more in the mid 1st-early 2nd range if you want to maximize your chance at getting good value (while still maintaining a solid chance at getting a #1 option).

Good thing we already have 2 picks in that range.

If we don't maintain our current draft position, I am willing to reconsider my position. But no way do I draft Chase over Sewell or Parsons.

Last edited:

I like Olave a good bit. I could definitely get behind the idea of drafting him in the 2nd round.

I have been wanting Chase/Smith as an outside guy, with Rondale Moore in the slot. However, if that doesn't happen, I would definitely be happy with Bateman/Olave with Waddle or Moore in the slot.

Another slot guy I like if we miss on Waddle and Moore is Amari Rodgers from Clemson. Probably a late 3rd or early 4th round guy.

Justyn Ross is very talented, would be talked about with Chase/Smith if not for the injury. That injury with his back scares me, there was doubt about if he plays again or not.

This I can definitely get on board with. Grabbing extra high end draft capital and still ending up with Chase.

The Tunsil trade would be the gift that keeps on giving.

Semi OT... Is it weird that I want Noah to work out so badly simply bc I want O'Brien to look even dumber? Why do I revel in his failure so gleefully? 😁

Last edited:
This might be my dream scenario. Grabbing extra high end draft capital and still ending up with Chase.

The Tunsil trade would be the gift that keeps on giving.

Semi OT... Is it weird that I want Noah to work out so badly simply bc I want O'Brien to look even dumber? Why do I revel in his failure so gleefully? 😁
Because you, my brother, are a TRUE FAN!

How you feeling about flowers?

he’s struggling right now, but I don’t know how much of that is injury related. His play has dropped off from the Denver game though, he was looking like a Pro Bowler prior to that though.

he’s struggling right now, but I don’t know how much of that is injury related. His play has dropped off from the Denver game though, he was looking like a Pro Bowler prior to that though.
I don't think he's healthy.

Back
Top Bottom