My Observations from Camp So Far......... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Observations from Camp So Far.........

All I've been able to see of Pope was when I attended the Houston scrimmage. All I can really say from a fans' perspective sitting in a stadium was that during the rookie full contact scrimmage he totally blew up some run plays and seemed good blitzing on pass plays and batted down the ball once. As far as plays where he was supposed to pass protect I have no idea....

Section126 said:
Your reports are great........This thread is about MY observations.......and I am sorry...but any guy that has played organized ball for as long as Pope has and can't fill a zone in a simple 3 deep coverage that I use to play in High School....well....I have a problem with that........

As for Pope against the run...I agree........the guy has the right attitude to take the punishment you have to take to stop the run.....

We just disagree......I don't like dumb players.....

Your reports are great though....

Here's a quote about Pope, and I'm hearing and seeing a ton of good things from him:

Rookie Derrick Pope had another outstanding practice. He drilled Sammy Morris and defensive coordinator Jim Bates screamed, "That's right! You're exactly where you need to be, Derrick!"

On the running plays at least he's in the right position, I've seen him praised moreso than any other LB up till this date. You're the first person to bring something like this up, so I'm gonna make sure to pay attention to his pass coverage next time I'm out there.

Section126[SIZE=7 said:
.[/SIZE] Fiedler just got another WR killed.

yep fiedler may suck, but to put the injury from boston on his shoulders is not the right way, IF you really wanna blame somebody for this freaky accident, then blame the coach who let him play on a sore knee, when all other guys like, madison, surtain, bowens can rest for weeks now, he shouldn´t have been out there, if they take the same approach on every player, then he should have been rested, but thats just my 2 cents

Al13 said:
yep fiedler may suck, but to put the injury from boston on his shoulders is not the right way, IF you really wanna blame somebody for this freaky accident, then blame the coach who let him play on a sore knee, when all other guys like, madison, surtain, bowens can rest for weeks now, he shouldn´t have been out there, if they take the same approach on every player, then he should have been rested, but thats just my 2 cents

Dude...that was an observation of mine...from a practice....it was Snoop Minnis that got drilled by Poole........That was who i was referring too.....

Finsflurry said:
Here's a quote about Pope, and I'm hearing and seeing a ton of good things from him:

Rookie Derrick Pope had another outstanding practice. He drilled Sammy Morris and defensive coordinator Jim Bates screamed, "That's right! You're exactly where you need to be, Derrick!"

On the running plays at least he's in the right position, I've seen him praised moreso than any other LB up till this date. You're the first person to bring something like this up, so I'm gonna make sure to pay attention to his pass coverage next time I'm out there.

I'm with ya.......

Problem is that one blown assignment in zone pass coverage can leave Kevin Faulk Wide open in the flat....Brady will find him...and it's a 30 yard gain.....

In the particular defenses he was screwing up....he needed to fill the LCB short zone to prevent the TE from getting wide on the waggle.......also to be there if the QB ran.......he was flattening out and leaving alot of room behind him allowing a clear throwing lane 20 yards down field......

I have no doubt he'll pick it up...but for now...he scares me........Good thing Zach is healthy now and the Tenn. game is a month away......

We will see......he does blow plays up in the hole.....

Section, are our QBs really doing that bad? I mean our own camp reporters, and professional ones are saying that Fiedler is in the best shape he's been in for years, and Feeley is improving practice by practice.

Sections thanx for the great read. You have reinforced what I have been thinking about up here In Philly (unable to see the live practices). We need another impact player on offense this season, if not our "great" defense will be worn down and we will lose many, many games.

dolphinpower said:
So who the freak is larry izzo?
Seriously? You dont know who Izzo is? How long have you been a Phin fan? In '96 after a preseason game JJ told the team that only one player had locked up a spot on the roster...of course Marino. He then started going over film from the game with the team and got to a point where on either a KR or PR, Izzo knocked a blocker (and himself) to the ground, got up, continued downfield and tackled the returner. JJ stopped the film and announced "Forget what I just said, Where you from, Izzo?" Izzo answered "Houston". Johnson asked "Is that where your parents are?" Izzo said it was. Johnson then said, " Go call your parents in Houston, son and tell them you are the 2nd player to make the Miami Dolphins."

If Wade Smith is the most important player on this team we will not be winning 8 games. That is if he plays half as bad as he did last year

yankeehillbilly said:
Seriously? You dont know who Izzo is? How long have you been a Phin fan? In '96 after a preseason game JJ told the team that only one player had locked up a spot on the roster...of course Marino. He then started going over film from the game with the team and got to a point where on either a KR or PR, Izzo knocked a blocker (and himself) to the ground, got up, continued downfield and tackled the returner. JJ stopped the film and announced "Forget what I just said, Where you from, Izzo?" Izzo answered "Houston". Johnson asked "Is that where your parents are?" Izzo said it was. Johnson then said, " Go call your parents in Houston, son and tell them you are the 2nd player to make the Miami Dolphins."
:lol2: Great story.I forgot about that one.For the uninformed Izzo was one of the best overachieving special teamers we have ever had and we have had some good ones.(Hendricks being the most recent one)

touborg said:
Section, are our QBs really doing that bad? I mean our own camp reporters, and professional ones are saying that Fiedler is in the best shape he's been in for years, and Feeley is improving practice by practice.

There are too many incomplete passes...and bad throws.....At least you do see Feeley placing the ball where only his guys can get it....Feeley actually looks like the safer QB right now......

Section126 said:
There are too many incomplete passes...and bad throws.....At least you do see Feeley placing the ball where only his guys can get it....Feeley actually looks like the safer QB right now......
Then he should start week 1. What do the Phins have to lose by starting an up and commer over the incumbant for once... If Feeley stinks up the joint we have on helluva backup to exstinguish the flame. I dont see why Feeley shouldnt start because we really have nothing to lose at this point.

I really like the bullet point write-up. I for one thought is was pretty close to my thoughts.

This IS Jay's worst TC.

Lee had more drops early in the summer but seems to be holding on better lately, But I agree there is not a huge dropoff from Randy-Mac to him.

Tolver has disappeared and has making nowhere near the presence he had in TC last year.

Grigsby was my sleeper pick last year. He's got some skills!

Travis Minor and Sammy Morris can carry the 03' Ricky load....not the '02 one.
- exactly

Good stuff 126!

Dude said:
I really like the bullet point write-up. I for one thought is was pretty close to my thoughts.

This IS Jay's worst TC.

Lee had more drops early in the summer but seems to be holding on better lately, But I agree there is not a huge dropoff from Randy-Mac to him.

Tolver has disappeared and has making nowhere near the presence he had in TC last year.

Grigsby was my sleeper pick last year. He's got some skills!

Travis Minor and Sammy Morris can carry the 03' Ricky load....not the '02 one.
- exactly

Good stuff 126!

Thanks......

Section126 said:
Dude...that was an observation of mine...from a practice....it was Snoop Minnis that got drilled by Poole........That was who i was referring too.....

hehe, yeah right, but everybody gets drilled by poole right now :lol:

Back
Top Bottom