Natty Light | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Natty Light

To me, this is just like folks that argue Montana was a better QB than Marino simply because Montana had much better talent around him to help them win games. They judge not by the merit of the individual QB play, but based solely on the 53 man team success.

They give all the credit to Matt Ryan for being on a team that wins 13 games, even though the guy rarely has dominante performances. Usually, his performances are quite ordinary.

Truly elite QB's like Marino, Manning, Brady and now Rodgers are guys that take above average (or sometimes even mediocre) talent and make them contenders. They don't put up 1 300 yard game per year, they do it all year long. When the talent around them is actually very good, then they put up unbelievable numbers.

Now, Ryan is still better than any Dolphins QB this decade, so in hindsight I agree that we should've taken him. But... it wasn't as big of a mistake as passing on Rodgers was, that's for sure. Our consolation prize to Ryan is the best LT in pro football. Hopefully he'll someday have the chance to block for a top 10 QB. For Rodgers, the consolation prize was a RB who has been decent, but often injured and easily replaceable

Well said. If we're ranking the poor QB decisions the last 6 years or so it would go something like:

1. drafting Ronnie over Rodgers
2. trading for Culpepper over signing Brees
3. drafting Jake Long over Ryan

And NO ONE was making a case for Ryan as the number 1 pick that year. Most were saying he had a million question marks and was not even close to being a can't miss prospect. I still don't think he's elite.

This. A good top 15 qb. But in the playoffs you need either a top 10 qb or a good but not great qb paired with a championship calibre D. The Falcons have neither. And I am up here among these Bird fans. Can't wait to hear the crying in the office on Monday.

I'm hearing it already.

I don't get why people are so interested in what the guy does since he isn't nor will he ever be a dolphin.

Ryan showed last night he is not as good as everyone on this board thinks he is.....he is a decent QB who plays well within the system. Atlanta is built to run the ball not for Matty to carry them, it showed when they got behind going against a very good defense, he didnt have what it takes.....try playing in the AFC east with 2 elite 3-4 defenses and see how many picks he has......Ryan gets fat numbers playing against average Defenses, All the elite defenses are in the AFC....Pitt, Balt, Jets and Pats in the NFC you only have the Bears and GB who they play once every 3 years.....

Most of the I want Ryan over Jake talk was done by people who watched Ryan for the first time last night and got all there information from stats and ESPN....granted he's better than what we have but he's still not an elite QB some think he is as Jake is an elite LT.....

Ryan and Long through three years have the same amount of playoff wins. Ryan is a one time Pro Bowler and Long is a three time Pro Bowler. Also, Long is much more likely to he wearing a gold jacket at the end of his career.
I think about it like this...in baseball would you rather have an elite relief pitcher or a good starter? The good starter is gonna make more of an impact in the win column than any reliever. Its great to have that elite reliever, but the position just isnt as valuable.

ok, i'll play.................

AND WHERE exactly has JAKE LONG taken us so far?

and last time i looked, matty was ICING jake longs
team pretty damned good in the heads up meating
they had.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Anyone who says Ryan sucks is WAY out of line.
2. Anyone who says he's a great QB is WAY out of line.
3. Anyone who says he's a franchise QB is WAY out of line - not that he won't become one.
4. If Miami had the draft to do over again, M. Ryan would have to be the choice - even though Long is the MUCH better player. QB is just much more valuable than LT.
5. When it looked like we were getting Harbaugh, I thought we'd get our QB for sure. Now, I think there's a 15% chance.
6. If we don't get our QB, we're eternally (or until we get him) ****ed.
7. I remember a thread where people were LOL'ing at other people for saying Rodgers is better than Ryan. If you put all the QB's in the league in a line - factoring in age - Rodgers would be the consensus #1.
8. I knew the Falcons would lose to either the Packers or Eagles - was pretty sure the Packers would beat the Eagles. The Falcons had the luxury of playing the NFC West. They were one of the two or three worst 13-3 teams I can remember; the worst was a Bears team under D. Jauron.
9. My preseason SB picks: Packers vs. Steelers.
10. My week 17 SB picks: Bears vs. Patriots.
11. I'd take J. Freeman over M. Ryan - though, Ryan is currently a little better.
12. I don't know why I decided to make this post a list of numbered points.

Can you say NFC West?
He also played the Bucs and Saints 4 times, winning 3 of those games. Beat the Packers. Beat the Ravens.

Hes not elite, but lets not pretend he's chopped liver or something. He is a good QB who had a bad game at a crappy time. I have no idea how someone can decide whether or not a QB can win in the playoffs based on two games. Manning has been one and done his fair share of times as well.

1. Anyone who says Ryan sucks is WAY out of line.
2. Anyone who says he's a great QB is WAY out of line.
3. Anyone who says he's a franchise QB is WAY out of line - not that he won't become one.
4. If Miami had the draft to do over again, M. Ryan would have to be the choice - even though Long is the MUCH better player. QB is just much more valuable than LT.
5. When it looked like we were getting Harbaugh, I thought we'd get our QB for sure. Now, I think there's a 15% chance.
6. If we don't get our QB, we're eternally (or until we get him) ****ed.
7. I remember a thread where people were LOL'ing at other people for saying Rodgers is better than Ryan. If you put all the QB's in the league in a line - factoring in age - Rodgers would be the consensus #1.
I agree with all of this.

Bunch of idiots in this thread. :lol:

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Please. Its the Falcons for cryin out loud. If 1 absolute exists in the NFL its that Atl is real good for a yr or two every decade.
And how about the Dolphins? Not good for 2 decades.

Well said. If we're ranking the poor QB decisions the last 6 years or so it would go something like:

1. drafting Ronnie over Rodgers
2. trading for Culpepper over signing Brees
3. drafting Jake Long over Ryan

And NO ONE was making a case for Ryan as the number 1 pick that year. Most were saying he had a million question marks and was not even close to being a can't miss prospect. I still don't think he's elite.

Nice post. But... the last part is not true. There were several on finheaven that wanted Ryan at #1. I certainly wasn't one of them, but there were a few...

Back
Top Bottom