NFL 1000: Final Regular Season Breakdown - Miami Dolphins Edition | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL 1000: Final Regular Season Breakdown - Miami Dolphins Edition

I'm willing to bet the farm we draft an edge rusher! The DE,DB,TE and RB Class are epic but edge rushers that win with speed have the highest positional value in the NFL after QB's and it's also a position of need for us. Honestly I like Cunningham a little more than I like Foster but even if he did declare there's no way (some insiders say he's returning to school smh) he'd still be available by the time we draft.

[

Well you know the class positional value better than i do so i will default to you on that but i think provided we stick with the same scheme that miami has a better chance of piecing it at de ie base and sub pack individual fits than they do getting it done at lb

In other words find another andre branch type scheme fit fill or similar wide 9 ideal fit in free agency before we find a solid fit at lb in free agency

And i also know for what miami asks of the lb in this scheme at mike and weak especially you wait around til round 2 for it you likely gonna find holes in that players game ie 2 down or undersized etc...

Theres no doubt a at minimun situational rusher type to spell or replace wake is a need and a big one and so if its there you dont pass it up provided it can play for you right away but i also think this wide 9 scheme fits dion jordans game and that miami has him in its 2017 plans as a rotational de

The wide 9 is less reliant on pass rush moves and hand use and gives you more time and space vs tackles which helps a lot of guys who lack top shelf rush tools or are raw with them

This draft is strongest at LB. You need to get a LB...

I dont think its scary provided we draft good players but you absolutely must upgrade this Lb corp

Cause its a crater size hole on tape...it plays like a unit full of udfas

You want to contend in 2017 you fix that lb corp

I think once u evaluate the defensive talent in this class u will understand where I'm coming from. As far as drafting a lb goes; I think the NY Giants proved u can have a stellar defense without stellar lb's; their lb corps is actually worse than ours but they have a top 3 front four and arguably the best secondary in the NFL. The Dolphins have actually upgraded the lb corps compared to last year and yet the defense is worse hmm.

I think once u evaluate the defensive talent in this class u will understand where I'm coming from. As far as drafting a lb goes; I think the NY Giants proved u can have a stellar defense without stellar lb's; their lb corps is actually worse than ours but they have a top 3 front four and arguably the best secondary in the NFL. The Dolphins have actually upgraded the lb corps compared to last year and yet the defense is worse hmm.

So you think the main problem on defense is pass rush?

Um No ! U have Cunningham and Foster in the first round thats it.

Um No ! U have Cunningham and Foster in the first round thats it.

IMO Watt is going to rockett into the first round after a steller combine. Davis is a sure fire 1st. Walker might be too

So you think the main problem on defense is pass rush?

No I don't think the main problem is pass rush; I'm saying we have to address the second most important position in the NFL in the Draft unless u want to depend on Andre Branch and Wake playing till he's forty.

IMO Watt is going to rockett into the first round after a steller combine. Davis is a sure fire 1st. Walker might be too

I agree with Davis being a possible late first rounder: I haven't seen enough of Watt and Walker may go third round unless he has a great combine. To pass up the edge talent in this draft class for a MLB he has to be a true difference maker and thats what I meant by only Cunningham and Foster. U don't pass up Tim Williams, Carl Lawson and Harold Landry to draft Watt and Davis who are decent. If u pass on an explosive edge rusher for a lb that lb has to be elite and I don't think Davis is elite.

The Giants have been relentless in creating and achieving pressure this year while playing mostly cover 0 & 1 and ironically they're doing it with two Former Fins; DE Vernon and MLB Sheppard. But I think you're underestimating the play of their LB corp. Keeping in context with the thread, their OLB's are ranked #15 and #16 and Sheppard even ranked higher than Alonso at MLB (not hard to believe for me). Now while that has to do with the players they are surrounded with as well, the same couldn't be said for our crew sandwiched b/w Wake, Suh, and a healthy R. Jones.

Often teams are annually left at the mercy of the draft depending on who has declared but we need to put a premium on our LB unit and make some serious moves to improve it in the draft.

But like you somewhat stated and on the other hand, drafting a pass rushing DE (sure would have been nice to sign Vernon early on) is ideal b/c you'll pay the farm for them in free agency.

The Giants have been relentless in creating and achieving pressure this year while playing mostly cover 0 & 1 and ironically they're doing it with two Former Fins; DE Vernon and MLB Sheppard. But I think you're underestimating the play of their LB corp. Keeping in context with the thread, their OLB's are ranked #15 and #16 and Sheppard even ranked higher than Alonso at MLB (not hard to believe for me). Now while that has to do with the players they are surrounded with as well, the same couldn't be said for our crew sandwiched b/w Wake, Suh, and a healthy R. Jones.

Often teams are annually left at the mercy of the draft depending on who has declared but we need to put a premium on our LB unit and make some serious moves to improve it in the draft.

But like you somewhat stated and on the other hand, drafting a pass rushing DE (sure would have been nice to sign Vernon early on) is ideal b/c you'll pay the farm for them in free agency.

Maybe I have underestimated the Giants LB corps slightly but make no mistake they're still bottom tier especially against the run; Harrison,Collins,Vernon are they're best run defenders, and last year I believe they rated Sheppard as last in the NFL(the play of Harrison who has the most run stops at DT in the NFL has greatly helped Sheppard). I'm not against drafting a Lb but I don't think the we can get a true difference maker in the first unless we move up.

Shepherd sucks always has always will

Most of that giants grade is snacks harrison and the secondary related lead by the best young strong safety in football landon collins who is absolutely terrific

These last 3 weeks have shown you that miami can have all the edge pass rush it wants it doesnt matter if we get lb play like we have the last 3 weeks and vs baltimore where teams can work off pa on quick drop throws or with the run game and in baltimores case 3 step drops with pitch and catch easy options at the lb level

Miami better hope pittsburgh is full of itself offensively come sunday cause barring jelani jenkins playing plus football or the steelers not taking advantage of short drops or quick ball out of hand tbe pass rush wont impact this game much

You can torch this teams forced to play zone nickel coverage at the lb level in the middle of the field on repeat on quick ball out of hand option routes

Reuben fosters explosive on tape...shows very good range to the perimeter of the field...good fill in tbe run game...run game looks primary assignment more than instincts...shows good zone awareness but overall play looks more primary assignment than instincts for the position...executes his assignments well

Doesnt look to have cunninghams versatilty as a mike weak in the nickel and listed at 6 foot 1 lacks ideal although its not bad measurables for the position...still miami likes measurables at lb

One thing that really stands out on tape is how clean he is to run free to the ball...rarely touched at the 2nd level...that wont be the case in miami in this scheme...i feel better about projecting guys who are always clean if they exhibit high level instincts to help offset

I can see where he carries a high grade given the range the assignment accountability and the physicality he plays with but id prefer cunningham of the two options who has the higher ceiling the better measurables and isnt clean on a pretty much snap by snap basis which is more in line with playing lb in miami...plus he carries that very rare mike weak package or coverage call based ability in the nickel

I cant say that foster would be a "target" of mine but that might have a lot to do with i dont have a feel for the drafts value either

Reuben fosters explosive on tape...shows very good range to the perimeter of the field...good fill in tbe run game...run game looks primary assignment more than instincts...shows good zone awareness but overall play looks more primary assignment than instincts for the position...executes his assignments well

Doesnt look to have cunninghams versatilty as a mike weak in the nickel and listed at 6 foot 1 lacks ideal although its not bad measurables for the position...still miami likes measurables at lb

One thing that really stands out on tape is how clean he is to run free to the ball...rarely touched at the 2nd level...that wont be the case in miami in this scheme...i feel better about projecting guys who are always clean if they exhibit high level instincts to help offset

I can see where he carries a high grade given the range the assignment accountability and the physicality he plays with but id prefer cunningham of the two options who has the higher ceiling the better measurables and isnt clean on a pretty much snap by snap basis which is more in line with playing lb in miami...plus he carries that very rare mike weak package or coverage call based ability in the nickel

I cant say that foster would be a "target" of mine but that might have a lot to do with i dont have a feel for the drafts value either

I also prefer Cunningham; I think Foster's instincts is a bit overrated, I don't think he trust his eyes enough.

Very interesting. Certainly id's both strengths and weaknesses pretty well.

A bit surprised to see Ryan Tannehill at #9. Thought he would be more in the middle of the pack. Honestly, can't wait to see what he does in a full season in Adam Gase's offense. After a slow start, he was a big, big reason for the teams' turnaround.

The linebacker unit is bad. We all know that. Best case scenario, Miami gets a stud MLB and can move Kiko Alonso to weakside. I love his big play ability, but the article is spot on with his tackling.

Nice ratings for the wide receivers. This is a good unit.

Mike Pouncey seemed low to me. The teams' running game took off when he was healthy and tailed off when he was out.

Overall, pretty detailed and mostly on track.

Back
Top Bottom