NFL investigating Patriots for filming Bengals playcalls | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL investigating Patriots for filming Bengals playcalls

I wouldn't doubt it at all. Last time they were investigated it was revealed that they had records and tape of various teams, coaches and their signals, so it would make sense for Miami to be included in that.

And without a doubt...the TWO times they have been caught were the only two times they have done this...
Sure
Yup
Of course

Forgive me if this has already been posted here but just catching up with this story. I just finished listening to the pick 6 pod cast from CBS (which is excellent BTW), with Brady Quinn, and they talked about this, some of the stuff they shared was pretty damning:

- Guy dressed in Boston Bruins shirt, with patriots.com credentials, sets up a camera in the media room, focused on the Bengals sideline.
- Bengals staffer recognises him, but instead of reporting it immediately watches how it plays out
- After 8 mins of the Pats guy taping the Bengals sideline, staffer calls security
- When security confront the Pats guy, he makes and offer to "just take the tape (or whatever medium), delete and lets forget that this ever happened" :)

Sure Bellicheat knew nothing about this, heh, how long has this been going on ?

The problem I have with this argument (from the writer not you) is why give them the benefit of the doubt? Just because it was the lowly Bengals? What if they just got caught this time?

Spygate covered from 2000-2006. In that period the Pats won the Superbowl 3 times. After Spygate was exposed the Pats suddenly went on a 9-year Super Bowl dry spell. Until 2014. Between 2014 and 2018 they won 3 out of 5 Super Bowls and lost one.
I would even take out the first season when Bellichick started (2000/2001). It was rebuild year and I am sure all that taping was it its infancy. Plus a guy like Bledsoe would have never agreed to that helmet communication crap.
So we start with Brady. A kid drafted in the 6th round, with a chip on his shoulder taking over Bledsoe and a 0-2 start to the season (on a team which went 5-11 the year before). Enter helmet communication and taping and the kid who was just a 4th string QB at the beginning of his NFL career went on for an 11-3 record and a Super Bowl win.
To sum it up:
Spygate starts in the 2000 season.
2001 Brady starts and wins Super Bowl with cheating fine tuned. Pats win Super Bowls in 2003 and 2004. In 2006 Spygate gets exposed.
After winning 3 Super Bowls in 4 years in which the trio Bellichick/Brady/Adams operated Spygate for a total of 5 years the drought begins with Spygate exposed.

2007 until 2013 (7 years) the Pats never win the Super Bowl. They make it twice but the Giants bitch slapped them twice.

From 2014 until 2018 (5 years) the Pats win the Super Bowl 3 times and are in the Super Bowl 4 times.

I'd say the taping restarted back in 2014. Why the Bengals? It is a first year coaching staff.

The kicker is this:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...at-bengals-evidence/356b9am414951grsjpujdtknd
How many times does New England have to get caught for the league to finally man up and punish them severely? Hell make the franchise inactive for a few seasons, no draft picks after 4th rd for 3 seasons or something

How many times does New England have to get caught for the league to finally man up and punish them severely? Hell make the franchise inactive for a few seasons, no draft picks after 4th rd for 3 seasons or something
They won't. The problem is that the NFL sold themselves to the Patriots by not being open and honest about it even going to the extend of destroying evidence right after it was collected from the Patriots. They were protecting their product and monopoly. A complete and thorough investigation of the previous Spygate with a subsequent public disclosure would have killed a billion dollar venture. Just imagine the loss of ad revenue, loss of gate receipts, possible lawsuits from fans and season ticket holders.
Then the technicality of questioning and possible invalidating every Patriots win and title they have accumulated over the years.
It would have been a disaster which would have required years to recover from.
So the NFL and owners simply conspired to keep the impact low and use the least worse 'spying' intact: some taping and spying on walk throughs.

Kraft has the NFL and its owners by the balls. He knows that. The NFL knows that. The owners know that. The worst what will happen is some minor punishment to keep the visual intact. Kraaft wants to be remembered as the greatest and most successful owner ever but if he would go down he'll take everybody with him.

Nothing major will come from it. The NFL has the perfect situation right now and they will keep milking it for ratings and revenues as long as they can.

The long running dynasty has attracted many bandwagon fans that have jumped aboard. On the other side are the fans that hate the Pats and want to watch their demise. Patriot games draw huge ratings because of these 2 sides.

Then the league adds in a little drama before playoffs. Faltering offense and more cheating allegations. Gives the Patriot hating fans a hope that this will be the year they finally disappear into oblivion.

We have seen this several times before. When the playoffs start the calls will favor the Patriots and script will continue. And the huge ratings will continue.

For what its worth I just heard that they are looking at losing at least one draft pick and upper level management punishments as well.

Heard this on CBS Sports.

For what its worth I just heard that they are looking at losing at least one draft pick and upper level management punishments as well.

Heard this on CBS Sports.
Heard that too....at some point repeating the same punishment over and over isn't working.

They should bounce them from the playoffs is what they should do.
Exactly. The punishment has to fit the crime. What do the Pats care about a pick or two? And any financial punishment is pocket change to them.

The last time they got caught the punishmet did not fit the crime. They should have vacated Pats wins back then and maybe gave them a year playoff time out. It was well worth the effort to cheat and was another sweet treat to do it again.

Exactly. The punishment has to fit the crime. What do the Pats care about a pick or two? And any financial punishment is pocket change to them.

The last time they got caught the punishmet did not fit the crime. They should have vacated Pats wins back then and maybe gave them a year playoff time out. It was well worth the effort to cheat and was another sweet treat to do it again.
And sadly they will just get another slap on the wrist because Kraft has the NFL and Goodell in his pocket.

Back
Top Bottom