NFL to investigate dolphins tanking? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL to investigate dolphins tanking?

A couple thoughts on this

1) This was a perfect storm of crap to start the season. We have over 25% of the roster join within 10 days of week 1 and we played the team we usually suck the most against for some reason and the results showed.

2) even if we did purposely tank, I cant find anything that says it is even against against any rules. If it isnt against the rules how can they punish us?

The noise will quiet down as we become more competitive as the season progresses. Our schedule will loosen up and the team will improve.

I'm sure there is some vague rule in the book to do with damaging the shield.

You know the ONLY reason the league would even potentially investigate something like this is because it's the Dolphins. You know it, I know, everyone knows it.
Had it been the Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers etc..Well you get the point.

Correct. And the Browns would just get laughed at.

It's the perfect combination of small market and being hated...probably something to do with popping off champagne every year....

this is just a pr move by the NFL. Had it not reached this much attention nobody would bat an eye. The league just wants to say "yeah we found nothing, but we encourage teams to do their best"

There is nothing to investigate lol. The Dolphins traded a few players and got draft pick compensation, last time I checked that is a legal normal thing. haha

It isnt like the team is going out on Sundays and taking a knee every snap or not attempting to tackle when the other team has the ball. The players and coaches are trying to win every week, it is just that the talent isnt there to do so. If having a roster not full of talent is a crime, then shouldn't every team that ends up with the top pick be investigated? This is a non-story and just clickbait to cause some drama.

The investigation started at 6pm, at 6:01 pm It was confirmed, the dolphins are tanking. Investigation completed.

We haven’t broken any rules. We just completely stripped the team of all it’s bad contracts and traded every player with any value. They are just sore that we did it all in one season instead of dragging it out over 2-3 years. The NFL is just worried that other teams will do the same thing in the future. My prediction is that they will ultimately go to a weighted draft lottery system similar to the NBA.

If the NFL rules committee implemented a draft lottery system for the 2020 season would Dolfans be outraged? Can't imagine how awkward the annual GM meeting is going to be for Ross next year - will be reviewed by his peers.

Unless there is some email floating around saying that the team specifically intends to lose then good luck proving any of that. I don't like what the Dolphins are doing but most of the players we got rid of were mediocre and had already proven this team wasn't going anywhere with them. The young guys we got rid of one could say both teams overpaid.

It also bears mentioning that we played the two teams which regularly give us absolutely dramatic beatdowns in the first two freaking weeks of the season.

Well, considering the discussion around the team and the negative press after just two games, imagine if we lose 8 in a row in similar lopsided ways. The outcry is only going to get louder. I suspect if the NFL is going to investigate, they will have made their minds up to do so by then.

It’s one thing to lose players and be bad for a season, but this is the first time I have ever heard the language I am hearing now from sportscasters and athletes. This forum is calling it a tank job, so is everyone else. I have never heard that about another NFL team aside from fans before. The rhetoric is getting pretty loud.
I live in Indiana. Believe me, the Colts fans knew the Colts weren't doing all they could to win the season that Manning got hurt. The 'suck for Luck' slogan didn't come out of thin air.

Nothing will come of this. We are rebuilding not purposefully losing. We aren’t butt fumbling or Neil O’Donnelling passes to Cowboys DBs. After winning 7 to 9 games in 8 of the last 10 years something had to change. We've wasted money in the past chasing after the biggest players (Suh, Branden Albert, Mike Wallace) in free agency. That didn't work. Last year we shed the locker room headaches (Landry, Pouncey, & Suh). That didn't work. So this year we purged aging vets & bad contracts (Tannehill, Wake, Kiko, Quinn, Stills, Branch, Gore, Amendola, McDonald). Players that helped them win a whole 7 games last year. None of them were All-Pros & none were pro-bowlers. Why should anyone be forced to sign a bunch players past their prime (Cutler, Arian Foster, Greg Jennings, Ochocinco, Josh Sitton, Mario Williams, Lawrence Timmons, Courtland Finnegan, Louis Delmas) or over pay younger free agents (Jordan Cameron, Andre Branch, Earl Mitchell, Dannell Ellerbe, Philip Wheeler, Jake Grove, Brandon Gibson, Shelley Smith) because we've done that numerous times too & failed.

The picks we acquired via trade are legitimate. They didn't force anyone to give them those first round picks. We didn't want to trade Tunsil but we got a king's ransom (two 1sts & a 2nd) for him which is more than Oakland got for Khalil Mack. Not bad for a player who has never made the pro-bowl in an era where everyone makes the pro-bowl. Likewise, we didn't want to trade Minkah but after his mommy cried on social media & then he asked to be traded the talent wasn't worth the headache. To get a first rounder for him from a team that may win 6 games, that's highway robbery & great work by Grier. If they want to investigate any teams it should be Houston & Pittsburgh for making those awful trades.

The ONLY reason anyone cares is because there's going to be a franchise QB (Tua) available in the draft this year which is the primary ingredient of a good team for a sustainable period of time. If they say it's about integrity, they can shovel that horse **** somewhere else. It has no effect on the integrity of the game. Nobody complained or wanted to change things when the Browns only won 4 games in 3 years or sucked in general over the past 20 years. The Dolphins are basically an expansion team & in the NFL, unlike MLB, teams can be built to be competitive quickly. We see it every year. Both the Jaguars & Panthers made their respective conference's championship game in just their second year of existence. Also, history has proven that just because you have high picks that doesn't mean the players you draft will be good or your team will be good.

The NFL is going to have a very hard time trying to prove the Minkah Fitzpatrick trade was for the purpose of TANKING!!! Also having to prove the Texans didn't pursue Laremy Tunsil as hard as they did. The Texans pushed the Tunsil trade. They gave the Dolphins the overpay, for a player who's never made the pro bowl. Miami inquired about Clowney and pursued him to the point of being allowed to meet with him. The NFL has no case against Miami. I'm also willing to bet Miami has inquired about other players. If they were tanking, none of the above happens. It's going to be extremely hard to prove.
If the NFL was going to 'investigate the tanking', they certainly could have blocked the Tunsil trade if they wanted to. Bottom line, the Dolphins got great return for the trade in a season where there was no reason to believe they would contend for a playoff spot. That's not tanking....tanking would involve taking adequate or below adequate value for your efforts.

Back
Top Bottom