NFL to investigate dolphins tanking? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL to investigate dolphins tanking?

If the NFL rules committee implemented a draft lottery system for the 2020 season would Dolfans be outraged? Can't imagine how awkward the annual GM meeting is going to be for Ross next year - will be reviewed by his peers.

They wouldn't be allowed to implement any type of lottery system until 2021.

Good luck with that. Pats can cheat their way into multiple superbowls but we cant even lose without getting investigated. checks out

This is damaging to public perception of the league and 'integrity of the game.' I'm sure that teams will complain, and the commissioner will investigate. He does have pretty broad discretionary powers as far as disciplinary actions.

While it seems unlikely now that serious punishment will be meted out, I think it's within the realm of possibility. This is precisely why I said that Ross was stupid to openly talk about having a disaster season and why I thought they needed to cool their jets on offloading players and at least try to keep up appearances.

Even literal crackhead Jim Irsay, knowing full well that Peyton Manning was going to have potentially career ending surgery that would sideline him for at least a season, was able to keep his mouth shut and keep things under wraps for the Colts in 2011. Steve Ross holds a press conference and just tells everyone that's the plan before the previous season's playoffs are over.

We'll see what happens. If the NFL does seriously investigate, it's possible that they will actually be grateful to this organization for giving them just the excuse they need to implement a draft lottery.

They wouldn't be allowed to implement any type of lottery system until 2021.
How could they if deals have been struck for 2021 draft picks already. I think they'd have to move it back to a year where nobody has promised any picks to another team.

If it's true, I'm glad they are. No team should be allowed to get away with that. Not even my beloved Dolphins
What exactly are we "getting away with"? Absolutely fleecing the Texans ...or shipping off a disgruntled child for a pick comparable to where he was drafted? Which one is the offense ?

They should investigate Tannenbaum for intentional sabotage of teams.

We were set to be bottom-3 before the season even started. What were we supposed to do? Trade away next year's draft to maintain "parity" so we can eke out 5 wins, or "don't embarrass the league and let us pretend the Patriots don't win the super bowl ever other year because they get a discount on all of their talent"??? This league is an utter joke.

Lets take a look at some things here before we get into "investigate dolphins"

1. There is no rule in the NFL against what the dolphins are doing. There are things in place...job security, cap floor, trade deadlines, honest injury reports...that are in place to discourage "tanking", but there is no actual rule in the bylaws.

2. In recent years you have had the Browns, Colts, and Raiders all do some form of tanking. Browns hired Hue Jackson, the Raiders got rid of pro-bowl players, and Colts started Painter. The Dolphins are not doing anything different from what those other programs have done, just did it a lot cleaner and acquiring a ton of resources for a quick turn around.

3. The value the Dolphins have received from trading away two of the better young players is insane. No one could possibly look at those trades as anything other than great value for the phins and not some "firesale". From two players, the team received 3 firsts and a 2nd. For two players that have no accolades.

4. The Dolphins made legit attempts to acquire Clowney and Flowers during the off-season. It didn't work out but the team did go after those players.

5. Now, if the NFL is really going to go after the DOlphins, then they need to go after every single team that sits starters at the end of the season after they wrapped up a playoff spot. I mean, those teams are literally not putting out the best they can to win that game. Meaningless doesn't matter, if the NFL is going to come after the Phins, then that needs to be investigated as well. I'm not saying the NFL should, but just the ridiculousness of "investigating" the Dolphins, when this is allowed.

6. I saw Mortenson pu out a tweet about "protecting the shield" and in NFL that employs child abusers, wife beaters, rapists...they are concerned with a team being undermanned? This is a league that not only employees Rothlisburger and Winston but celebrates them, but the Dolphins are the ones hurting the image of the league?

What about the other 0-2 teams around the league? Are they going to investigate them as well? They might be trying to tank as well.

This is BS. They would have to prove that the coaches are colluding with the players on the field to deliberately lose games...examples, the QB intentionally throws interceptions, kicker misses, DBs intentionally blow coverage. That's point shaving, and there's no way that's happening here. Stripping your roster to the bone is not against the rules.

Back
Top Bottom