OBJ will visit the Dolphins tomorrow | Page 44 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OBJ will visit the Dolphins tomorrow

Beckham had a high YPR but he also only caught 54.7% of the passes thrown his way.

Odell’s 35 receptions ranked 122nd ranked in 2023 across all positions. Only three WRs, Robert Woods for HOU, Jonathan Mingo for CAR, and Marquis Brown for ARZ, had more catches with a lower catch %.

BAL’s other top targets didn’t have a catch % problem…

Nelson Agholor also had 35 catches for 77.8%
Mark Andrews had 45 catches for 73.8%
Zay Flowers had 77 catches for 71.3%

Edit - Point being, if you took into account his low catch % and ju 15+% lower than I imagine someone could adjust Odell’s YPR to YPA and it’d be subs

All 3 of those receivers are very good in the slot and are used as blanket types on a lot of plays. Flowers and especially Andrews have a lot of short targets their way by design. Odell was their stretch the field guy that Bateman was supposed to be….. wish I could find the video posted by a Ravens fan last week of all Lamar’s (terrible) misses to an open OBJ.

I thought he played well last season whenever I watched the Ravens. Definitely someone we can use on the outside as opposed to the likes of Wilson and Claypool. He would see mostly single coverage here and he still has the ability to house a slant route.

From a personnel perspective I trust McD in selecting guys for his offense.

Beckham had a high YPR but he also only caught 54.7% of the passes thrown his way.

Odell’s 35 receptions ranked 122nd ranked in 2023 across all positions. Only three WRs, Robert Woods for HOU, Jonathan Mingo for CAR, and Marquis Brown for ARZ, had more catches with a lower catch %.

Those catch percents do not factor in the depth of targets or degree of difficulty.

Those catch percents do not factor in the depth of targets or degree of difficulty.

Fair. They don’t capture other things having the #3 CB on you or yards of separation either….

I updated original post with Yards Per Target (YPT) to show the inefficiency of throwing to Odell.

Last point I’ll make… Tyreek certainly ran tuff routes against blanket coverages. If Tyreek had Odell’s shitty catch % then his receptions on 171 targets would’ve dropped by 25 completions from 119 to ~94. Yikes!

Fair. They don’t capture other things having the #3 CB on you or yards of separation either….

I updated original post with Yards Per Target (YPT) to show the inefficiency of throwing to Odell.

Last point I’ll make… Tyreek certainly ran tuff routes against blanket coverages. If Tyreek had Odell’s shitty catch % then his receptions on 171 targets would’ve dropped by 25 completions from 119 to ~94. Yikes!
Tua is invariably more accurate than Lamar at any distance but especially on deep passes. Let's see if having the passes more precisely on target increases OBJ's catch percentages this season.

No, he hasn't, and I never said otherwise, inferred it, or implied it. I'm not even sure what you are arguing with me about. I said they drafted him to compete to be a #3 but for various reasons, no one knows what he can do, and has been unreliable. They passed up Romeo Doubs to take EZ so I'd expect they took him with some plan in mind on how to best utilize his skill set. In 2022, I heard it said they may have envisioned him as a guy they could use like Deebo Samuel.
Deebo freaking Samuel???????...... LMAO.

This whole exchange started with you saying how they "love his Skillset".

I then pointed out he has not shown the skill set of a good WR.

You then kept suggesting there was something there.

My argument isn't with you personally. My argument is with your assessment of the player.

Edit - Odell had a higher YPR at 16.2 than Tyreek at 15.1 and Waddle at 14.1, which sounds amazing! If you adjust Odell’s numbers to Yards per Target (565 yards by 65 targets) to account for lower catch % and efficiency then it’s 8.8 YPT; whereas, Tyreek is 10.5 and Waddle is 9.7 YPT, respectively.
well said. they were probably trying to force the ball to him a bit, because he demanded it. and it resulted in very low productivity per attempt because he doesn't have it anymore and is just not that open. last thing we need here.

Last edited:
Deebo freaking Samuel???????...... LMAO.

This whole exchange started with you saying how they "love his Skillset".

I then pointed out he has not shown the skill set of a good WR.

You then kept suggesting there was something there.

My argument isn't with you personally. My argument is with your assessment of the player.
Why did he spend most of 2023 on NFI? It had nothing to do with his skill set. IMO they do love his skill set and a lack of physical skills is not what has kept him off the field. It was the mental aspects as a rookie and his neck issue last season. Do you believe there is nothing about him they liked? 4th round so they were just throwing darts at a dart board? Back in 2022, they sent Welker to his alma mater to work out EZ personally. He apparently signed off on the player.
Perhaps you are conflating your dislike of the player's skills with how you believe the team must also view him.

Edit: I never implied he was equally talented as Deebo, so your reaction of incredulous laughter was uncalled for. I said I read where some opined he could be used in the same manner. Big difference. In his two games last season, they did have some designed runs they used with EZ which bore some similarities to some of the runs Deebo does with SF. Then the neck and he was done almost before he could get going.

Last edited:
He looked great on a couple WR screens and end arounds in the pre season

I was hoping to have him as a larger 3rd option but with his injury I don't think it will happen

We'll see

Why did he spend most of 2023 on NFI? It had nothing to do with his skill set. IMO they do love his skill set and a lack of physical skills is not what has kept him off the field. It was the mental aspects as a rookie and his neck issue last season. Do you believe there is nothing about him they liked? 4th round so they were just throwing darts at a dart board? Back in 2022, they sent Welker to his alma mater to work out EZ personally. He apparently signed off on the player.
Perhaps you are conflating your dislike of the player's skills with how you believe the team must also view him.

Edit: I never implied he was equally talented as Deebo, so your reaction of incredulous laughter was uncalled for. I said I read where some opined he could be used in the same manner. Big difference. In his two games last season, they did have some designed runs they used with EZ which bore some similarities to some of the runs Deebo does with SF. Then the neck and he was done almost before he could get going.
Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot.

IMO, the guy hasn't shown any great Skillset. He has great physical attributes but that doesn't equate to "Skillset".

TBH, IDC what you read. I read Elvis was spotted eating a pizza in Romulus, Michigan.

The guy has 1 catch for 3 yards in the NFL. Think about that. 1 catch for 3 yards. Does a comp to Samuel really make sense in your mind?

I'm sure the team sees something they like in every player they draft. That goes without saying. I'm sure they saw something in Tindall, as well. In fact, they saw the great measurables in both. Unfortunately, It doesn't appear that either one can play at a high level in the NFL.

I agree with this except Wynn was rated our best lineman after the first few games. Funny how some people expect us to win a playoff game when even our backups are getting injured and I’m not just talking about the oline.
Ask the Rodgers and the Packers how they won a SB with 14 people on IR

Crying about injuries is just a poor excuse. You at least win a playoff game. This is all on McD because of his one dimensional offense. We need a funadamental change and it looks as though he’s finally leaning that way

Edit - Odell had a higher YPR at 16.2 than Tyreek at 15.1 and Waddle at 14.1, which sounds amazing! If you adjust Odell’s numbers to Yards per Target (565 yards by 65 targets) to account for lower catch % and efficiency then it’s 8.8 YPT; whereas, Tyreek is 10.5 and Waddle is 9.7 YPT, respectively.
All that is interesting, and I mean that, but unless you have some way to factor in the accuracy of the QBs, is it really a direct comp?

Not going to bother looking it up but I read somewhere that he was charged with only 1 drop last year. If true, that implies it wasn't a issue of him making the catch as much as the ball being thrown to a catchable spot.

Last edited:
Ask the Rodgers and the Packers how they won a SB with 14 people on IR

Crying about injuries is just a poor excuse. You at least win a playoff game. This is all on McD because of his one dimensional offense. We need a funadamental change and it looks as though he’s finally leaning that way
this is pretty misleading.

These are the players the packers lost to IR that year - Nick Barnett (starter), Morgan Burnett who was a rookie, Brandon Chillar (special teams), Ryan Grant (s), jermichael Finley (s), Justin Harrell (ST) Spencer hayner (ST), Brad Jones (rotational), Derrick Martin (ST), Mike Neal (ST), Marshall Newhouse (didn't even play that year before he got hurt), Brady poppinga (special teams), Anthony Smith (special teams) and Mark Tauscher (his last NFL season and was not good at this point)

So they lost Barnett and Burnett on D and then grant and Finley on O. The entire oline was playing. Really not comparable to what the fins went through at all

this is pretty misleading.

These are the players the packers lost to IR that year - Nick Barnett (starter), Morgan Burnett who was a rookie, Brandon Chillar (special teams), Ryan Grant (s), jermichael Finley (s), Justin Harrell (ST) Spencer hayner (ST), Brad Jones (rotational), Derrick Martin (ST), Mike Neal (ST), Marshall Newhouse (didn't even play that year before he got hurt), Brady poppinga (special teams), Anthony Smith (special teams) and Mark Tauscher (his last NFL season and was not good at this point)

So they lost Barnett and Burnett on D and then grant and Finley on O. The entire oline was playing. Really not comparable to what the fins went through at all
I hate when people cry about injuries

It’s ***** drivel

When I played college ball and when teammates went down you never even thought about, it was always next man up

Ugh

Back
Top Bottom