Odds Favor Darren Rizzi In Miami Dolphins Head Coach Search | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Odds Favor Darren Rizzi In Miami Dolphins Head Coach Search

The list should go
#1- try trade for Harbaugh
2- Gregg Williams- physical mindset and will be hungry now
3-Rizz- just as qualified as the others we have interviewed. Passion,respect and a leader. I think they postponed his interview till later to give him time to make some calls and see who he can bring to the table as far as OC and DC. Also maybe postponed to see what happened this weekend for option 1.

You just cannot trade picks for a coach right now. The ravens will 100% want one 1st, probably more. Where does Miami then find a QB?

Id rather sign a coach that doesn’t have previous HC experience than roll with a journeyman QB for the future because they don’t have enough draft capital to get in position to find an actual quarterback.

Id love me some Gregg Williams. I know his past but there's some goods being left on the table w/ him

Current players love him, which is nice, but a lot of them might not be here next year anyway. He's got passion, and we can argue that he is a true Dolphin, but I don't think it happens.

Wouldn’t mind Rizzi, his kickers and punters have over performed pretty much every year which is what you want your head coach to do bring in good offensive and defensive coordinators and see how he does does for the year.

Rizzi's teams never never failures. He actually coached up a lot of guys, sent some to the pro bowl, unit at the top every year. Exellent talent evaluator. And how about that kicker rizzi pined for in the draft room over the big name guy who wasxa "cant miss" kicker? Rizzi's choice played at a pro bowl level.

So what traights are you looking for in a head coach?
The first trait is he is from outside the building.

Rizzi did have the benefit of learning from a genius like Gase.

I mean some of that "majik" must have rubbed off!

And before that we was in close proximity to another football luminary

commonly known as Philbin!

Besides that he led a div II program to an impressive 15-14 record over 3 years!

Yep. That's a winning record.

But oops. He followed that up a 3-9 season with the mighty Rhode Island Rams.

So his combined 18-23 HC record is a tad on the loser side but

he did land the ST job in Miami 2010 joining Sparano & Co.

as part of the "New Haven" connection.

Totally see NFL HC material ALL THE WAY!

Last edited:
Well while I agree with you on the observation there Big Nasty lets see since we had Don Shula, there have been big names in Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, Nick Saban. Guess who was the best of the bunch record wise Dave Wanstant thr coach everyone hates Dave kept the defense intact and got the stud Ricky Williams. Think about that for a minute.

I can see the positives and negatives with Rizzi, but I think there is WAY to much emphasis on the head coach hire, when the GM is the most important component. If Grier succeeds, as long as the HC is at least competent with picking his staff, the Dolphins will be successful. If Grier fails, no matter what masterful head coach we bring in, they will fail.

I will say that the idea of the coach having been special teams doesn’t bother me, and in fact, may be beneficial. Their focus is on coaching up individual players from both sides of the ball to work as a cohesive unit. They take the under-talented and turn them into viable players. Rizzi has excelled at this over his tenure. HC candidates that come from the offensive or defensive coordinator side of the football seem to focus on the side they knowinstead of the whole team. Not saying former OC and DC coaches can’t be successful, obviously, just that a coach shouldn’t be written off for having been special teams.

Looking at all the posts regarding quarterbacks availability next year which looks pretty poor draft wise it would be much smarter to go with the strength of this years draft and add pieces to the defense that I believe if we go to a typical 4 3 defense we can get there fairly quickly along with building that oline. Focus on Gore and company to run the ball next year and in 20 throw a entire draft at a QB as needed. We are not the Browns that have been sitting on 1st round talent for years and just needed a coach and QB to make it shine quickly. You bring in a rookie QB next year and he would get creamed behind this line and would loose his confidence before he started.
I kind of like Petty and you could let Fales Falk and others hash it out.

Well while I agree with you on the observation there Big Nasty lets see since we had Don Shula, there have been big names in Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, Nick Saban. Guess who was the best of the bunch record wise Dave Wanstant thr coach everyone hates Dave kept the defense intact and got the stud Ricky Williams. Think about that for a minute.

My point is -- CAUTION for sure.

Beyond that -- I do think there are other possibilities (Flores for example) that give us a better chance of actually

remapping our program in a totally new (let's hope proven) model and BUILDING a team brick by brick.

I just don't see Rizzi as the answer.

But as always, I reserve the right to be wrong.

I can see the positives and negatives with Rizzi, but I think there is WAY to much emphasis on the head coach hire, when the GM is the most important component. If Grier succeeds, as long as the HC is at least competent with picking his staff, the Dolphins wilWell said and just a little history dolphin fact the last time we won a superbowl was when we had a great
I will say that the idea of the coach having been special teams doesn’t bother me, and in fact, may be beneficial. Their focus is on coaching up individual players from both sides of the ball to work as a cohesive unit. They take the under-talented and turn them into viable players. Rizzi has excelled at this over his tenure. HC candidates that come from the offensive or defensive coordinator side of the football seem to focus on the side they knowinstead of the whole team. Not saying former OC and DC coaches can’t be successful, obviously, just that a coach shouldn’t be written off for having been special teams.

Well said and just a little Dolphin history fact the last time we won a super bowl we had a great GM staff along with Don Shula. When that GM staff left and went to the redskins they promply went and won some superbowls. Don still did good got us in the playoffs but without that top talent could not get further. In fact thats what got Don fired was the roster not the coaching imo.

Here is the thing, if the goal is to hire a coach that you conceivably see hoisting a Lombardi within 5 years, who would that guy be? Rizzi might be a good coach, but in my mind he isn’t that guy... not the eventual super bowl coach. He’s a coach he may take your team to the wildcard round 1 out of 3 years, but not likely any further.

Of the candidates we’ve looked at, there are only 2 that I could picture holding up a Lombardi by year 5: Richard and maybe Fangio. All the others are rather uninspiring and cap us where we’ve been for the last 20 years... mediocre.

What I’m thinking about is that whole ramble had zero periods and it was hard to follow. Take a breath man ! :-)

Of all the candidates I have heard, Kris Richard gets my endorsement.

Why is it this fan base and this organization are both so against going out and getting a guy from a winning organization and history?

Rizzi. Great guy I’m sure. Players love him. But we need an outside pair of eyes.

Richard is perfect for this. The interview is today. Get it done Ross!

Back
Top Bottom