OFFENSIVE LINE IS OUR #1 WEAKNESS | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OFFENSIVE LINE IS OUR #1 WEAKNESS

I’d say you’ve got blinders on if you aren’t at least cautious on your expectations for the offensive line. But, as others have pointed out, we’ve put significant resources into the O line over the past couple of off-seasons so it’s not like we haven’t addressed it. Someone mentioned the past 20 years. Well we haven’t had this many promising (or “hopeful” if you prefer) prospects for the line in that period.

They need to gel and develop. Whether they will is a fair question mark right now and a known unknown. Continuity, experience, development, and commitment to excellence. These attributes will make or break the quality of the line.

It’s entirely possible that this unit becomes a strength of the team over the next couple of seasons.

I agree that the biggest issue on offense is the OL. There appear to be a lot of people on here who just assume the OL will be better than last year because the rookies from last year will be much better than they were last year and that the Dolphins upgraded the center position and added a RT in the draft.

While that might end up being the case. The fact is the OL was below average last year and unless this unit improves considerably in 2021, the offense is going to continue to struggle in the running and passing game.

Personally I am far more concerned about the play of the OL going into next season than I am about Tua .
Maybe these guys were raw but ‘middle of the draft’. I don’t think that assessment is fair.

Former USC offensive lineman Austin Jackson is considered to be one of the top offensive linemen in the 2020 NFL draft. ... The former Phoenix North Canyon High standout, who just finished his junior season for the Trojans, is projected to be a first-round pick in most recent NFL draft projections.Apr 1, 2020

The season hasn't even started yet so nothing is a weakness at this point. We'll know once the season starts but right now is all paper stuff.
Come on Danny your smarter than that.

Season hasn't started, Oh we didn't know that

Nothing is weakness, thats why we signed Fuller and Waddle and a ship load of Defense men. Guess FA and Draft are irrelevant. because we had no weakness....lol

Try looking at the situation that played out last year. Understand what we are asking is an awful lot of every line guy improving significantly in THEIR SECOND YEAR oh ya and one in HIS FIRST.

It was to be expected last year. 2 FA starting and 3 rookies, no preseason games.

More changes with Skura, Eichenberg/Fluker along with Kindley and Hunt most likely shifting positions.

Assuming health and with a normal preseason the OL should show continuous improvement throughout the year.

Austin is still only 21 years of age. Nothing but respect for Austin…

Maybe these guys were raw but ‘middle of the draft’. I don’t think that assessment is fair.

Former USC offensive lineman Austin Jackson is considered to be one of the top offensive linemen in the 2020 NFL draft. ... The former Phoenix North Canyon High standout, who just finished his junior season for the Trojans, is projected to be a first-round pick in most recent NFL draft projections.Apr 1, 2020

And this is what we get. Great if they were going to play in the college and High school ranks...
But this is the NFL. Try evaluation for their NFL presence by play out on the field against the best in the world..

I'm not assessing by where they were drafted just shown ability and the reality of even top picks adjusting for a reasonable period of time.

I like the picks just think we need...NEED a little proven talent to help give these new guys time to get really good. The season will soon be on the line and I for one would feel better with some actual proven and consistent ability and not 4 guys learning to be in the NFL expected to go out be quality and able to ajust and gell as one.

Possible yes
Happening to the adequate level a bit more questionable......

Yes, the offensive line is extremely important. The team realizes this

we’ve selected a LT in the 1st round, a T/G in the 2nd, a guard in the 4th. Another OT in the 2nd round this year. Been trying for center upgrades

clearly we know it’s an issue and they are looking to get better there. What else would you have them do? Drafted Sewell over waddle maybe? God not that again

these are young players that need time to develop. If you just keep switching out the pieces, no consistency is ever going to happen. Give them time
Yep. It's coming along too.

Could the offensive line be a weakness, sure. It could also, finally, turn into a strength.

We can certainly discuss the fact that Hunt should be better at guard than tackle, that having a full training camp will greatly benefit the young group etc. That Eichenberg was a potential steal where Miami drafted him. There was some late first round buzz on him.

I would have loved Humphrey or one of the top centers in the draft, but not at the expense of missing on Holland.

Bottom line is the young talent has to progress.

We’ve invested Significantly in the O-line…twice trading up to get players we targeted.

The O-line is no different than a newly drafted QB on a complete tear down and rebuild program.

All these young players need to develop for this team to succeed…that includes Tua and the O-line.

I am fine with where the O-line is with the only question mark at all being Skura….

The fact remains…The QB is the most important position on a football team, and you can’t expect a perfect team to surround your QB, at key moments he needs to make game winning plays.

such as Fitzpatrick last year against the Raiders!

Nothing is weakness, thats why we signed Fuller and Waddle and a ship load of Defense men. Guess FA and Draft are irrelevant. because we had no weakness....lol

Try looking at the situation that played out last year. Understand what we are asking is an awful lot of every line guy improving significantly in THEIR SECOND YEAR oh ya and one in HIS FIRST.
What would you have done to correct this issue then?

My point is that normally players who are expected to take time to develop are not selected in the first round. That round is suppose to be for players who can step in and start immediately.

Jackson didn’t play that bad before being injured but either he wasn’t fully recovered when he came back from his injury or his play just dropped off over the latter part of the season.

I am not saying that Jackson or Iggy will turn out to be below average players in the NFL. I just have higher expectations for players drafted in the first round than in later rounds. Hopefully both of them and Tua will all play at a much higher level in 2021 than they did last year.

LT rookie with potential but did showed some inconsistency (could improve). Past up better OL top notched in 1st rd. with all our work towards building up for the draft with more picks.

G 2nd rd..... also needs time to adjust to NFL (2 years may or may not do it ) ?????

Guard 4th rd. see G 2rdr.

RT...hasn't even played a friggin down yet in the NFL..... come on

But we got Skura who we all know will be like skura of old atleast in our fantasies, Right....

I afraid it is definitely Not Clear that we all see the real importance of this issue or you'd think that fans in here Media and FO should be saying something anything about such a critical potential disaster if a lot doesn't happen the way we are fantasizing it will. "Oh it will all work out " .......god it better.

And yes we did pass on some top shelf line men this FA. Top shelf quality, proven and experienced.

Ya they do need time to work things out while the rest of the team is on the verge of being legit again. Just think that with this team we'd be more knowingly knowledgavble about who or what is going to show up this season (from the start and not half way trough the season, seen before )...

Hey I hope your opinion turns out to be good but I wouldn't bet on it at this stage.
Which better OL did we pass up for Austin Jackson?

that second rounder your dissing on, “that will need years to develop” was rated pretty decent, towards the end of the year especially…. And for a rookie…

4th rounder…. Not expected to come in and be a starter, and well yes he has things to work on, but what guards have we drafted better in the last 10-15 years?

And this is what we get. Great if they were going to play in the college and High school ranks...
But this is the NFL. Try evaluation for their NFL presence by play out on the field against the best in the world..

I'm not assessing by where they were drafted just shown ability and the reality of even top picks adjusting for a reasonable period of time.

I like the picks just think we need...NEED a little proven talent to help give these new guys time to get really good. The season will soon be on the line and I for one would feel better with some actual proven and consistent ability and not 4 guys learning to be in the NFL expected to go out be quality and able to ajust and gell as one.

Possible yes
Happening to the adequate level a bit more questionable......

trust me, I am one of the biggest advocate of OL play, frustrating what Ryan had to play behind and I am always looking to improve it.

My point was people make it seem like these two picks were huge reaches and picked way before they should have been, I don’t beleive that is true. Lets keep in mind also, some of the higher ‘rated’ OL didn’t work out either so far.

Last edited:

I think the O-line will be much better this year and far from our weakest link. I'm actually a bit more worry about our defense. Can't count on turnovers every week

What would you have done to correct this issue then?
To start signed a top shelf Center and would have been zeroing in on Corey Linsley

In the draft used built up draft picks and use to move up for a better OL than Jackson which was pretty much doable.

Be looking for a quality RT NOW ... though market smaller maybe create a trade possibly or this time talking with Morgan Moses at least.
Now understand that these quality FA may not be here for to long...Just giving a period of breakin for the kids
Dolphins IMO are ready to compete if the OL holds up its end...

I mean all this opinions that we have the quality OL from meaningless reasoning. Nothing shown yet and hopes of making a large step up...HOPES !

Not saying they won't some day be very good but the essential need now is whats questionable, No matter what round or High school or college they came from...

Back
Top Bottom