Offensive Line | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive Line

We need some new linemen... I am not saying that we need them before WRs... or in any particular round, just that we need to improve our team in this area.

I think a lot of people hear us say this and respond defensively... "No, we hafta take weapons first", they squeal indignantly...

So I begin speaking in calming tones and backing away...

I hope they get better. (sigh)
I am in your camp. I am not saying no OL at all in the draft, I just want to take skill players with our first few picks.
Cornfed can wait til third round. Or at least late second.
People who like Sewell so much they turn a blind eye to our most glaring holes.

I am in your camp. I am not saying no OL at all in the draft, I just want to take skill players with our first few picks.
Cornfed can wait til third round. Or at least late second.
People who like Sewell so much they turn a blind eye to our most glaring holes.
I would say that RT is our most glaring hole... but I'm OK if we take a WR first. There is more than one way to do this.

I don’t care what position the pick is at 3, just add a pro bowl talent.

We have plenty of picks and FA to address playmakers.

Are we in good enough shape to go BPA? If so, trade back at #3, and go BPA all the way.

Put Hunt at RG, sign Ramcyzk to play RT, and that should do it. I think Austin will be fine at LT, no need to draft Sewell

Yep well let's get Smith and Harris, work on the offensive line in later rounds.

Plenty is possible the Seahawks won a SB with the 27th ranked OL, the Broncos won a SB with the 20th ranked offensive OL and the Giants won a SB with the 31st ranked OL.
Exactly. If we traded for an elite QB, our oline would be good enough. All of those teams had elite QBs.

First before anything else.... we need a better offensive line.
nothing else is possible without one.
Not sure what games you were watching but it wasn’t Miami. Our line is filled with youngsters who late in the season hit the rookie wall. Can we add a piece or two for depth? Yeah fine, but we are much improved there and will get better

Skill positions first, then possibly olinemen. We need to give our guys some time to develop. We knew Jackson was a guy with high upside that would need some time. We went from an oline where our best player was arguably Davis to an oline where our worst player is arguably Davis.

He isn't a free agent... we'd have to trade a high pick to New Orleans for him, then resign him to a high dollar contract.

It's a no go.
Could be a cap casualty. The saints are in a bad, bad place and he's a big cap savings with no dead money.

I'm a big proponent of building a good OL. It makes your running game just work, and almost every QB in the league can be successful if he is given enough time. They're the unsung heroes, but make no mistake about it, they are heroes.

We really should recognize though, that we have made great strides this year. IMHO, pulling together an OL where ZERO people played next to anyone else on this OL the previous year is nothing short of miraculous. The ability of Jesse Davis to pull those guys together, and Ted Karras to make all those great line calls to protect so many people new to the mix is just fantastic. I give a ton of credit to three rookies--two of whom were quite raw--being able to have successful rookie seasons in a Covid-shortened pre-season. Our OL Coach Steve Marshall and Assistant OL Coach Lemuel Jeanpierre (try saying that five times fast) did a phenomenal job getting those random pieces to come together to form an improved OL in record time.

Considering we took the youngest OL in the draft--Austin Jackson--who had missed the previous offseason entirely because he donated bone marrow to his sister, and spent much of the regular season getting back to fitness, then gets plugged in as a starting Left Tackle for a QB who is a wildman gunslinger and the team's returning top runner, is asking a lot of the kid. Then switching his QB to be a small lefty who reacts completely differently to pocket stimuli ... I can't really see how we could have expected any more from Jackson. I'm quite pleased with him despite his rough rookie season. Then we drafted a guy from Louisiana Lafayette ... a very low division school with almost no competition level, and who played almost exclusively as a run blocker, and we thrust him into the NFL level and ask him to also be a pass protector for a left-handed QB and he doesn't completely explode in awfulness ... that's a much better than expected rookie season. Then we also added a kid from a big program--Solomon Kindley of Georgia--who had previously performed at a high level in the SEC but was downgraded because he's not nimble, and saw him produce decently at the NFL level before he's even gotten his body in shape yet. High kudos to those players. And even higher praise is due our OL coaching staff of Marshall and Jeanpierre.

Is our OL fixed. No. But I have more faith in the people fixing it than in a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time. And, I no longer feel like we're on the Island of Misfit Toys trying to piece together an OL from parts that have been rejected elsewhere.

Yes, draft OL. I think #3 overall is too high to draft an OL. We already have Austin Jackson to play LT, and we can find a good RT later in the draft. I'm game for drafting 1-3 more OL, because you should draft at least 1 OL every year. There is a lot of talent in this draft that will fall outside of round 1, so yeah, scoop some of it up, but let's do it at draft slots where they represent value, and I don't see the positional value at #3 overall.

I'm usually criticized for pounding the table to draft more connfed, but if we actually draft a position player at #3 overall, I'd rather have Ja'Marr Chase, who I believe will become a great WR. My first choice would be to trade the pick for value, either up for Trevor Lawrence (1 in a million chance of that happening), or down to a QB needy team for more picks.

Ask the Dallas Crybabies how they feel about investing as BUNCH of 1st round picks on the OL? They have had the BEST OL in football over the past decade, and won how many Super Bowls? Jake Long was the first pick in the draft. He was very good but was hurt enough not to finish 2 of his 5 years here and was out of the NFL in 6...

Back
Top Bottom