Official 2005 Mets Willie Ball Thread!! | Page 26 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2005 Mets Willie Ball Thread!!

Wagner is starting to look like a lock for the Mets.
I heard a sound bite from him after visiting the Mets. Sounds like he was very impressed, and I'm not sure you usually hear those types of statements from guys unless they're likely to sign.

I know Wagner is getting up there in age, but by signing him, we'd also be weakening the Phills.

We'll probably give him a 3 year deal with an easily obtainable option for a 4th. That 4th year will be a waste, in all likelihood, given his age, but if the Mets are going to have the kind of money they anticipate, it won't matter.

finswin56 said:
Yeah, I was hearing Philly was offering 3 and that it would take 4 to get him. I think the offer was around $30 million

On ESPN radio they said the Phills were around 27 mil, we came in around 30 mil.

I don't like this!!

D-Backs pitcher Javier Vazquez wants to be traded to an East Coast team and the New York Post says the Mets are pursuing him.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I don't like this!!

D-Backs pitcher Javier Vazquez wants to be traded to an East Coast team and the New York Post says the Mets are pursuing him.

You and me both. The article, if I remember, mentioned Kris Benson as trade bait for Vazquez. Personally, I'm not sure Benson's not the better pitcher.

phunwin said:
You and me both. The article, if I remember, mentioned Kris Benson as trade bait for Vazquez. Personally, I'm not sure Benson's not the better pitcher.

I think he is much better then Vazquez. But we seem to be into the Latin players since Omar came on board.

Hmmm, this is interesting.
http://baseball-reference.com/b/bensokr01.shtml
http://baseball-reference.com/v/vazquja01.shtml

When you adjust for park values, Benson and Vazquez were basically the same pitcher last year. Benson had an ERA+ of 101 (which means that, after adjusting for park factors, he was 1% better than the average pitcher). Vazquez had an ERA+ of 99 (thus he was 1% worse). Since his injury, Benson has been slightly worse than the average major league pitcher, with ERA+ of 92, 89, 97 and 101.

Vazquez, on the other hand, was flat-out awesome before his trade to the Yanks. His ERA+ scores for 2000-03 were: 114, 135, 106, 154. Moreover, his K/BB ratio is significantly better than Benson's.

Maybe I'm not so against this deal after all.

phunwin said:
Hmmm, this is interesting.
http://baseball-reference.com/b/bensokr01.shtml
http://baseball-reference.com/v/vazquja01.shtml

When you adjust for park values, Benson and Vazquez were basically the same pitcher last year. Benson had an ERA+ of 101 (which means that, after adjusting for park factors, he was 1% better than the average pitcher). Vazquez had an ERA+ of 99 (thus he was 1% worse). Since his injury, Benson has been slightly worse than the average major league pitcher, with ERA+ of 92, 89, 97 and 101.

Vazquez, on the other hand, was flat-out awesome before his trade to the Yanks. His ERA+ scores for 2000-03 were: 114, 135, 106, 154. Moreover, his K/BB ratio is significantly better than Benson's.

Maybe I'm not so against this deal after all.

The one problem I have, is a pitcher that can handle NY. He didn't do it so well with the Yanks?

I worry about that, too. But Minaya knows him from Montreal and probably knows his mental makeup better than most. I would also note that there's a big difference between pitching for the Mets and for the Yanks.

phunwin said:
I worry about that, too. But Minaya knows him from Montreal and probably knows his mental makeup better than most. I would also note that there's a big difference between pitching for the Mets and for the Yanks.

True, but it seems that we are putting a team together for this year, so the pressure will be big.

Mark my words, Soriano is next after Wagner.

1b- Delgato
2b- Soriano
ss- Reyes
3B- Wright
C- Hernandez
Rf- Diaz
CF- Beltran
LF- Floyd

Great offense, Diaz, Soriano and Delgato scare me defensive wise.

I don't think we're getting Soriano. I think they'll sign Wagner and a catcher, either Hernandez or Molina and call it a day. They'll probably shuffle the pitching staff a little with a trade here or there (i.e. Trachsel for a quality reliever).

Back
Top Bottom