Official 2005 Mets Willie Ball Thread!! | Page 27 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2005 Mets Willie Ball Thread!!

I haven't heard about Vasquez, but then I've been away.
I don't know what I think about that either.
I agree with you Phil, I would much rather have Hernandez.

Do you guys think Diaz or Nady will start?

I think Diaz SHOULD start. I think he's a much better hitter and his defense isn't bad enough that Nady's superior glove work makes up for it. Ideally, they'd use Nady as a super-utility man, filling in as 4th OF and giving Carlos Delgado a break against tough LHP at first base for 10-15 games.

There were rumblings that the Red Sox liked Nady and that getting him was precursor for a Ramirez deal, which would obviously moot the point.

As for Molina/Hernandez, the Mets are believed to favor Hernandez, which is good. Hopefully his familiarity with Rick Peterson will give us an edge.

Finally, if they're going to get Ramirez, a Vazquez trade is probably off the table. I don't see how they could sign a catcher and trade for Ramirez and Delgado AND take on the additional salary Vazquez has over Benson. Maybe they can, I don't know, but that seems like a hell of a lot. Assume that Delgado's acquisition makes up for losing Piazza's salary, and signing a catcher will probably come at the savings we got by moving Mike Cameron. Adding Ramirez and Vazquez would bump the payroll up around $25M over what we spent last year, and that doesn't count the likely signing of a big-ticket closer.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
The Mets were talking all weekend with the Red Sox's about Manny, and rumors are it is getting closer. Manny still wants the Angels, but said he would come to NY.

If I'm the Red Sox I'm asking for David Wright, Lastings Milledge, Aaron Heliman and Xavier Nady. (I realize that asking for Wright is nuts and will never happen but remember the Mets are getting back a Hall of Fame hitter you have to give up some talent for him). If the Mets want I'd throw in Kevin Youkilis in the deal so they'd have a 3rd baseman.

Getting Manny would give the Mets an extremely good line up possibly the best in the NL.

Ray Finkle said:
If I'm the Red Sox I'm asking for David Wright, Lastings Milledge, Aaron Heliman and Xavier Nady. (I realize that asking for Wright is nuts and will never happen but remember the Mets are getting back a Hall of Fame hitter you have to give up some talent for him). If the Mets want I'd throw in Kevin Youkilis in the deal so they'd have a 3rd baseman.

Omar Minaya would giggle and hang up at that offer, and rightfully so. I wouldn't trade Wright for Ramirez straight up if the Sox paid 3/4 of Ramirez's contract. Not when Wright's looking like the next Mike Freakin' Schmidt, and is one of the few Mets who's actually not making enough money to feed a small African nation for a year.

Ramirez will be 34 in May, has seen his batting average decline for 4 straight seasons, is paid some $20 million per annum for the next 2 years and is good for at least two bizarre meltdowns per season. If Boston trades him, they're going to get 75 cents on the dollar. That's the way it is. They probably have to trade him, and they know it, and so does the rest of baseball.

If the Mets get Ramirez, I would look for the Sox to get Milledge, Heilman and Nady, and the Sox to pick up roughly 1/3 of what Ramirez has coming to him over the next two years.

phunwin said:
Omar Minaya would giggle and hang up at that offer, and rightfully so. I wouldn't trade Wright for Ramirez straight up if the Sox paid 3/4 of Ramirez's contract. Not when Wright's looking like the next Mike Freakin' Schmidt, and is one of the few Mets who's actually not making enough money to feed a small African nation for a year.

Ramirez will be 34 in May, has seen his batting average decline for 4 straight seasons, is paid some $20 million per annum for the next 2 years and is good for at least two bizarre meltdowns per season. If Boston trades him, they're going to get 75 cents on the dollar. That's the way it is. They probably have to trade him, and they know it, and so does the rest of baseball.

If the Mets get Ramirez, I would look for the Sox to get Milledge, Heilman and Nady, and the Sox to pick up roughly 1/3 of what Ramirez has coming to him over the next two years.

I won't trade Manny for Wright either. However I'd still ask for him, plus you'd never know Omar is obviously playing to win it in the next 2 years or so. Pedro and Glavine aren't getting any younger.

I really don't think the Red Sox have to trade Manny. I think they would if the right offer came on the table but I think they would keep him and his attitude if they felt the best way to win would be with him.

So what if Manny's BA is down? He finished 2nd in the AL in 2003. He still hits 40 HRs and drives in 100 RBIs. No one on the Mets even comes close to that right now.

Any Met fans have any thoughts on the rumored Benson for Julio trade? Personally I don't get it, I don't think Julio is even that good, I just think he's a worse verison of Armando Benitez.

Why does Omar want Benson gone? Too much money? He didn't pitch badly at all last year. Plus who would go into the rotation? Seo or Heliman?

Ray Finkle said:
Any Met fans have any thoughts on the rumored Benson for Julio trade? Personally I don't get it, I don't think Julio is even that good, I just think he's a worse verison of Armando Benitez.

Why does Omar want Benson gone? Too much money? He didn't pitch badly at all last year. Plus who would go into the rotation? Seo or Heliman?
I don't know much about Julio, but I'd hate to see Benson gone w/ the advanced age of the starting rotation.

Seo looked great at the end of last year. He is ready for the rotation. I like Heliman, and I have mixed feelings on him in the bullpen. He did pretty well in the pen, and given how bad the rest of the pen is, we probably need him there.

Julio's numbers last year:
67 games, a record of 3 and 5, 71.2 innings, 76 hits, 14 HR, 24 BB, 58 Ks, 5.90 ERA, 1.40 WHIP, .269 BAA.

Wow he had a awful year. Here's his career numbers:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6709/career

Either this is a really bad rumor or Omar really does want the Mets to be an all Latino team.

Word today is that those talks have cooled. But basically, that would be a salary dump, and little more. I think that Omar realized he could probably get more for Benson.

The funny thing is that they wanted to move Benson to clear room for a starting pitcher. If that's the case, why not just deal him for another starter and avoid having to make a couple different trades? Benson for Vazquez makes sense for both teams, for example.

I hope we don't give up on Benson too quickly. Good young pitchers aren't growing on trees for the Mets.

I was just curious where all the Mets fans who complain the Yankees try to buy championships every year have been lately?

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
I was just curious where all the Mets fans who complain the Yankees try to buy championships every year have been lately?

That complaint is SO 1998. But thanks for dropping by.

Back
Top Bottom