Official 76ers Thread | Page 187 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 76ers Thread

I told you about that kid. Here's what I posted about him in this thread after the draft:

"I'm a huge fan of McDaniels personally. I think he starts day one actually. He's going to be a great defensive player for us. Again, going off the Spurs model, he's a similar player to Kawhi Leonard. If he can develop a jumper the same way Leonard has, watch out. The fact he was an 84% FT shooter tells me he may not be as bad a shooter as advertised, or at least has some kind of shooting skill which can be worked on. Kawhi was a good FT shooter too despite being an even worse 3 point shooter than McDaniels. McDaniels was lottery pick talent and may end up being a steal."

Looks like I was right so far about his jump shot. Hell he's already a better shooter than Kawhi. His defense has been as advertised. He has the block of the season so far as I'm concerned to boot. Kid's athleticism is off the charts. Every game it seems like he makes at least one ridiculously athletic highlight play. I'm already sold on him being a steal, and think he's going to be the steal of the draft. Still shocked that he fell to the 2nd round. Simply unexplainable to me given his athleticism, talent, and skills.

I told you about that kid. Here's what I posted about him in this thread after the draft:

"I'm a huge fan of McDaniels personally. I think he starts day one actually. He's going to be a great defensive player for us. Again, going off the Spurs model, he's a similar player to Kawhi Leonard. If he can develop a jumper the same way Leonard has, watch out. The fact he was an 84% FT shooter tells me he may not be as bad a shooter as advertised, or at least has some kind of shooting skill which can be worked on. Kawhi was a good FT shooter too despite being an even worse 3 point shooter than McDaniels. McDaniels was lottery pick talent and may end up being a steal."

Looks like I was right so far about his jump shot. Hell he's already a better shooter than Kawhi. His defense has been as advertised. He has the block of the season so far as I'm concerned to boot. Kid's athleticism is off the charts. Every game it seems like he makes at least one ridiculously athletic highlight play. I'm already sold on him being a steal, and think he's going to be the steal of the draft. Still shocked that he fell to the 2nd round. Simply unexplainable to me given his athleticism, talent, and skills.
You are dead on so far. I'll admit to not knowing much about him because I didn't watch Clemson last year. But as I read a little more once the Sixers drafted him, I saw he lead the ACC in blocks his last year. That's pretty impressive considering how good of a conference the ACC is. I think even to start this year he's averaging over a block per game. For a non big man, that has to be pretty rare.

But this has been a painful start to the year. Might even go as far as brutal. Not that there is much of a silver lining, but over their last 6-8 games, they've been pretty competitive. Unfortunately, it hasn't resulted in any wins, but I'd much rather see a 5-6 point loss than a 30 point loss.

Glad to see MCW putting together a great stretch of games. Turning the ball over too much, but still.
It's great to see. Hopefully it's showing the coaches the he and Wroten shouldn't be on the court at the same time. MCW is much better as the main ball handler.

We got the best player in the draft last night. Minn lost it's mind drafting Towns over Okafor. He is a guy who has nowhere near the offensive game of Okafor and who played against garbage most of his college career. Russell will prove to be a disappointment for LA. Why people think he will be special is beyond me.

Yeah, it is a little log jammed at C right now. No idea how they'll work that out, I don't even think the Sixers know. What I do know is that we now have a franchise cornerstone. This is why you tank, to get a player like Okafor.

I don't see it. He doesn't play defense, and even when he tries hes hopeless whenever he gets pulled away from the basket. Teams will take that as an invitation to pick and roll him to death. Hes got no perimeter game, and with the zones people run today its so hard to be an efficient post player. I love watching guys like Al Jefferson play, but you can't win that way anymore. Like it or not Towns is the big man of today.....mobile enough to defend on the perimeter and capable of hitting the jumper.

I don't see it. He doesn't play defense, and even when he tries hes hopeless whenever he gets pulled away from the basket. Teams will take that as an invitation to pick and roll him to death. Hes got no perimeter game, and with the zones people run today its so hard to be an efficient post player. I love watching guys like Al Jefferson play, but you can't win that way anymore. Like it or not Towns is the big man of today.....mobile enough to defend on the perimeter and capable of hitting the jumper.

Disagree big time. Okafor has a special low post game and is the best prospect in that regard in decades. Being able to deal 10 ft from the rim will never go out of style. We just have forgotten what it looks like bc there hasn't been a great big man dealing down low in a while. In this era of ESPN clips, all the big guys growing up wanted to do was dunk and jack up shots. Not this kid. He's slaved in the gym since a young teen pounding the fundamentals of low post bball.

As for the Jefferson comparison. No way. He is bigger, stronger and a much better passer than Jefferson. Okafor has unbelievable hand size, dancer's feet and an endless array of moves down low.

He's been the best wherever he has been, and not being the top pick will make him play w a chip on his shoulder. He'll be able to cover his deficiencies on D with effort and coaching. He's 19. Besides, he has Noel to help him back there.

I look forward to saying I told you so when he is runaway ROY:d-day:

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine he will be the ROY, but that doesn't change the fact that it is going to be very difficult to build a winning team around him.

There's a reason the NBA has moved away from post play, and its not just because the players with that skillset no longer exist. The simple reality is that the best post players in the game are still inefficient scorers by modern standards. Its something Karl realized pretty quickly in Sacramento. Hes got the most dominant physical force in basketball today who happens to be incredibly skilled and hes running pick and roll basketball with him because at the end of the day its far more effective than posting him up. Every change in the game over the past generation has promoted motion in offense and penalized stagnation.

If he had great defensive potential it would be another story. His finishing ability alone combined with a defensive presence would make for a winning combination. But hes not a great athlete and below the rim big men rarely become competent defenders, no matter how much work they put into it. So now you've got to pair him with a defensive presence, which more often than not means a second player on the floor that noone is going to defend more than 10 ft from the basket.

He was built for another time, when everyone had to play man defense and you could spend all day backing your man down in the post. Maybe the NBA will eventually veer back in that direction but I don't see it happening in the next decade. This new way is a whole lot of fun to watch, and I don't think anyone wants to go back to what basketball was like in the 90s.

Yea I had to say a few words when I seen NYJunc was still allowed to troll these boards 10 years later

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yea I had to say a few words when I seen NYJunc was still allowed to troll these boards 10 years later

Can't say I blame you. Don't know how it's still going on :lol:

You planning to go to any Sixer games this year?

I'm trying. I have my eyes set on the Cleveland game March 31st. Lebron vs Simmons.

Back
Top Bottom