𓆝𓆝𓆝 Official Fishing Thread 𓆝𓆝𓆝 | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

𓆝𓆝𓆝 Official Fishing Thread 𓆝𓆝𓆝

A little late on the post here. I met my parents on Cedar Key for the 3 day weekend a few weeks back. The place provided kayaks and I brought a fishing rod and some soft plastics ans jig heads.
I paddled across the channel to a fishy looking island each morning. The first day I caught a pile of trout a 30 inch red fish a jack and a couple flounder. Did about the same the next day and my Dad joined me.
The last day I figured I would throw a top water for an hour before I got on the road back to Atlanta. managed 5 redfish all 20-25 inches. It was a cool little place, very relaxing short trip.

My wife and I were planning to do some trout fishing on Laurel Fork Creek in VA this past week. It was her birthday and we rented a cabin that sits right on the creek. When we got there it started raining and kept raining most of the time. Needless to say we didn't get to go fishing because the creek turned into a whitewater river. If we had just setup a net across the road where the creek over flowed we probably would have caught a bunch of trout.

[video=youtube;ot4mE1jZhxk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot4mE1jZhxk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

27489d068bce6f0a18db113044d8300c-1.jpg

9fd14c0503708534af768c2de546b84e-1.jpg

Fishing for trout this morning when this bad boy hooked up. 37" red on 10 lb. test.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ok guys - sorry for the delay, but thought I would post a few pics from our little family vacation down in Marathon in August. Let me preface by saying 1) We didn't know what we were doing; 2) It was really hot, and the only good time for fishing seemed to be 30 minutes from sundown to 20 minutes after; 3) We had a great time anyway.

The one fish we caught a lot of was this: (apologies, but I'm still paranoid about putting my kids faces out on the internet, even though they're not ;) )
IMG_0743 (461x640).jpg
Probably caught 20 of these just popping topwater plugs near the islands, and on light spinning gear they're actually a lot of fun.

We also caught a number of yellow jack as the sun started going down - they're also fantastic fighters and great eating...
PIC_0029 (2) (531x640).jpg
...and not just for humans:
PIC_0037 (360x640).jpg

But the biggest surprise for us was how much fun it was to chase the birds around and catch these little footballs:
IMG_2261 (364x640).jpg
Now yes, I know now they're supposed to be "baitfish", but keep in mind that a) We didn't know what we were doing; and b) We're Asian so we'll eat anything. When we got them back home, I looked on the internet and found to my dismay that it's considered a very poor eating fish. Oh well, I said, let's cut it up and see what happens. Well, what happened was, when I saw just how fantastic that red meat looked (after removing the bloody bits), I said we're having sashimi today folks. And so we did - and it was the best tuna sashimi I've ever had (and I've had bluefin sashimi in Japan), maybe because it was so fresh (I found out after you're supposed to freeze it first, but oh well). At any rate, after that, all we did was go looking for birds, and then cast topwaters into them. And those bonito fight like crazy on light gear too.

Of course the main attraction was the patch reef fishing at sunset, where we caught a lot of these:
IMG_0747 (640x480).jpg
Some great tasting fish there (cooked or raw ;) )

I will say we had one other great memory. We were patch reef fishing for snapper on the first evening, not really knowing what we were doing. My wife was casting and retrieving a small tuna feather, when all of the sudden the water just erupted around her line. Huge silver thing flew out of water, shaking its head, and then started greyhounding towards the horizon. We're using 12 pound mono, 20 lb fluoro leader on little spinning rods, so we're down to the spool in no time. Pulled the anchor and chased it around for 20 minutes - I'd pump it up and then it would take off again. Finally got it to the boat just as the sun was setting - it was the first barracuda we had ever caught and it was a monster - my guess is 5 feet long, maybe 40 pounds. Just as we were trying to figure out how to release it, it shook its head and parted the leader. Our first big fish in the Keys - right at dusk - a great family fish tale we still talk about today.

Anyhow, that was our little adventure in the Keys. Loved it, kids (and wife) are wondering when we can do it again. Maybe when/if the Canadian dollar ever goes up to par with the USD. ;) Cheers everyone.

Excellent post guy. Sounds like you had a blast.
We used to kill the mangrove snappers fishing all night under that bridge in the middle of Marathon. Actually watched Haley's comet from that bridge one night.

Those yellow tail were probably great eating right out of the water. There use to be a restaurant there that would cook your catch for you but it sounds like you did not need it :)

Bonita and jack's are fun to catch and the reason most say not to eat them is the jacks sometimes get worms and the bonito is bloody as heck and makes great bait.

Thanks for posting :up:

Nice red Unchained! Where you fish out of?
Hey sorry, just saw your post. That one was right behind my house in the St. Johns in Jacksonville. Catch a little bit of everything there, tons of trout, flounder, whiting and reds... usually on light tackle.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yellowtail are fantastic fried.

BTW fishfanmiami, Just got back from a trip and sold almost 60lbs of stone crab biters. Should have snapped a few pics of the biggest of them. Also gave away probably 40ish pound of glassy eyed snapper we caught in an attempt to net some lane snapper that went bad. The attempt at lane snapper was a dud, but the lobstering was good, so cant complain I guess :)

Excellent. That's $2000+ worth of stone crabs retail in Atlanta now a days. Ridiculous price although I might have to bit the bullet and get a few lb's for new years.

I've only caught a couple lanes and they were hanging out in a large school of muttons. Thought they were yellowtail at first but the black dot gave them away.

Good to hear from you guy. Hope all is well and you enjoy the holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yellowtail are fantastic fried.

BTW fishfanmiami, Just got back from a trip and sold almost 60lbs of stone crab biters. Should have snapped a few pics of the biggest of them. Also gave away probably 40ish pound of glassy eyed snapper we caught in an attempt to net some lane snapper that went bad. The attempt at lane snapper was a dud, but the lobstering was good, so cant complain I guess :)

God I love Stone Crab claws. before I moved to Ga, I had 3 traps. Rec fisherman can have 5 total in FL. I used to drop them in places in the bay with some good structure. I would just put a fish carcass in there for bait after I filleted it. I used to take a kayak out and check traps. I would get a dozen or so nice claws every 4 or 5 days from a kayak. Man I miss stone crab claws, my mouth is watering right now.

Edit: In response to yellowtails- I love grilling a whole fish after gutting and scaling. Score the sides hit with some Italian dressing and seasoning. Or some lemon on side Very good.

Do you know of any cheaper place to get stoners in Atlanta other than the Atl fish market ?

Excellent. That's $2000+ worth of stone crabs retail in Atlanta now a days. Ridiculous price although I might have to bit the bullet and get a few lb's for new years.

I've only caught a couple lanes and they were hanging out in a large school of muttons. Thought they were yellowtail at first but the black dot gave them away.

Good to hear from you guy. Hope all is well and you enjoy the holidays.

Sounds like I need to use you as a middleman and sell them in ATL :lol:. I only get $10/lb and Im fortunate to have a connection to get that. Most large buyers here pay 8. The moneys in the lobster, but its still nice to get a few easy dollars on the side. I call them "beer money"

Back
Top Bottom