---Official Golf Thread---- | Page 58 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

---Official Golf Thread----

Great to hear UK, just remember the idea is to have fun. Even a low quality course can be viewed as a privilege.

I do my best when I take in the beauty of the course and don't worry about my score or any bad shots I make along the way.

The course was much better than I expected. Intend to play it many more times in future.

My play was up and down (as you would expect) lost my first drive after hitting a horrific slice, but didn't take any airshots. Hit 2 or 3 drives I was very pleased up, my putting was horrific lol

Perfect weather for golf, I had a great day

20180517_124106.jpg
20180517_133410(0).jpg

First time I have ever played a parkland course. Strange not having proper links style rough.

I despise the very idea of my putter, even hate the weight of it everytime I pick it up. Was looking at a nice Odyssey putter for around £100 at the driving range, not ready to spend that sort of cash on a club until I have had a lot more practice.... but I would be interested if I could find a 2nd hand one that is in decent shape

Last edited:
Anyone use one of those Odyssey two ball putters? I know they have been around forever but I liked the feel of it.

Same with the Odyssey #7.

Going to a store tomorrow that has a load of former display models, if I can get a good condition used model for the right price il pick one up.

Doesnt have to be Odyssey, but even their new products are a reaosnable price compared to some other options. Im not looking to spend a fortune - but I cant explain how awful my current one is, tie a bag of sugar to the end of a broom handle and you may have an idea lol

Last edited:
I use that putter UK. Got it on E bay for $65 used but in new condition.

Some days it works great. Some days I hate it and want to toss it in the lake :wall

I use that putter UK. Got it on E bay for $65 used but in new condition.

Some days it works great. Some days I hate it and want to toss it in the lake :wall

I actually went with something a bit unusual in the end. I had never even heard of it before today, but I am now the proud owner of a (used) Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter

20180521_161604.jpg
20180521_161638.jpg

Its a strange looking club but I am very pleased with it. I also liked the Odyssey #7 a lot, frankly the two clubs are very similar. I didn't like the two ball as much as I thought I would.

The Daddy Long Legs was fitted with a £40 custom grip which has a 50g counterweight. Some rich guy bought this last year, had it heavily customised (its 34.5 inches, which is odd but I found it very comfortable) played with it for a year, then bought this years shiny new toy. I got it for less than half the price the same store sold it to him for 12 months ago.

I was really torn between this and the #7 (which was a tenner cheaper once you added the new grips I would have put on it - the cheaper version of what is already fitted on the Taylor Made) but I sunk about 12 puts in a row with this one while discussing the options with the salesmans and he just said 'you need to buy this club'

Plus as its second hand, he said I can play with it for a few weeks and come in and swap it for the #7 at anytime if I decide I don't love it.

Last edited:
I have one of those and do not care for it. That's the same style putter Day and some other pros use but it did not work for me.

617JO326%2BfL._SY355_.jpg

Not exactly the same but similar style

Actually it was good on short putts but did not have the weight I like and was not very good on long ones. Still have it in the trunk of my car as a back up.

I played 9 holes last week, went and hit 120 balls at the range over the weekend and played 18 holes today. Its starting to come back to me a bit, when I went out last week I topped a few shots which ended up running flat across the fairway infront of me for 20 yards, but there was none of that today. A few sailed miles off in the wrong direction, but I was striking the ball much better and my swing didn't feel so horribly unnatural.

Im obviously wildly inconsistent and have lost a dreadful amount of balls (sometimes it just sails off to the extreme right off the tee - not a slice, staight as an arrow lol ) but I also hit one of the best drives of my life today and had a couple of iron shots I was very happy with - hit a 6 iron on 18 which was about aswell as anyone could have hit it, about 160 yards from the right edge of the fairway right into the middle of the green. I had my first par since returning on that hole after a decent drive and a perfect iron to about 10 feet.

My pitching is a real mess, I have no feel for short irons at all. My mid irons and 3 wood feels pretty good, I have hit a couple of good drives but my touch with pitch is just awful. However, I think this just needs practice and experience.

As for my new putter? Much like the pitching, I have very little feel for longer shots, but from 6 yards or less? The new club felt great today, I was consistently sinking 4-6 yarders and I suppose thats what really matters isnt it?

The weather has wonderful recently, warm but not sweltering so perfexr for golf (though I didn't wear a hat and ended up with a bright red face today lol) so I think I will head out for abother 18 holes tomorrow evening, I want to get in as many holes as possible before I think about membership.

Im basically retraining myself based on memories of my dad coaching me as a young teenager (sort of guy who came home from work everyday with a new 'must try' tip lol) and some youtube videos. Il probably look into a few refresher lessons at some point, the club I have been playing at doesn't have a pro (club is only a few years old, sma countryside club, cheap greenfees but the course is in excellent cobdition) but the range I go to has a pro

I walked 5 miles today, I got a hell of a lot of exercise and had a great time doing it.

Last edited:
You walked the course ? You are a better man than I am Charlie Brown :p

Really glad you are getting back into it UK. Did you play by yourself ? That's fun sometimes but you need to find a mate or three to partner with then it's a blast.

Tip of the day : Always pocket a few range balls . Those water holes can get mighty expensive.

You walked the course ? You are a better man than I am Charlie Brown :p

Really glad you are getting back into it UK. Did you play by yourself ? That's fun sometimes but you need to find a mate or three to partner with then it's a blast.

A buggy is a bit out of my budget :p plus I am fat and need the exercise!

My Mrs walked round with me today, she knows nothing about golf but it was a lovely day and she wanted to go for a walk.

Just over a year ago I moved about an hour and a halfs drive away from my family and the friends I used to golf with. I abolutely love where I live, but I don't really know anyone in the area, we ususlly keep to ourselves or go out with friends to resteraunts etc in the city 25 mins away. I suppose if I join one of the clubs I will eventually get to know local golfers, but for now its just me.

To be honest id prefer not to make a tit of myself infront of other players anyway. Can play in public when I remember how to hit a ball properly!

The biggest difference with the courses in this area is that they are all US style parkland courses; inland, little wind, narrow fairways, no proper rough, lots of trees. I grew up on a (very windy!) traditional British links course that was covered in sand hills. Its very different

Last edited:
I've played a few links course and did not really care for them. You have to play conservative and just hit the landing spot or you are in deep trouble. I guess that's why it's called Links. The course style over here is much more forgiving and allows you to play more aggressive if you want IMO
Regardless it's all fun just a player choice I guess but sand hills does not sound like fun to me :)

I've played a few links course and did not really care for them. You have to play conservative and just hit the landing spot or you are in deep trouble. I guess that's why it's called Links. The course style over here is much more forgiving and allows you to play more aggressive if you want IMO
Regardless it's all fun just a player choice I guess but sand hills does not sound like fun to me :)

Cool, which did you play? I there are only about 15 true links courses in the states. I would to play Pebble Beach some day! One of the top five links courses in the world is about 10 mins from my mums house, its hosting the British Open soon - didn't get it before because of a lack of local infrastructure and the NI terrorism issues.

You are right about playing conserative as the course tends to be unforgiving, especially when the weather is tough - wind can be hell. I have often aimed far off the the left knowing the wind from the sea would pull it into the middle of the fairway on certain holes lol

It's been a while but I played the Opryland course in Nashville Tennessee and it's a link course. There was a time business took me all over the states and I always took my clubs
Lots of business deals were consummated at the 19th hole over drinks.
Visited the pro shop at Pebble Beach and got a hat but never got to play there although there was a course at Half Moon Bay in that area I did get to play.
When I lived in Miami the last place I had was on a par 3 at Costa del Sol right across from Doral country club.

000%20%2018billsbackyard_zpsq9n833kh.jpg

The green was just behind the bushes by the lake in this picture.

Anyone use one of those Odyssey two ball putters? I know they have been around forever but I liked the feel of it.

Same with the Odyssey #7.

Going to a store tomorrow that has a load of former display models, if I can get a good condition used model for the right price il pick one up.

Doesnt have to be Odyssey, but even their new products are a reaosnable price compared to some other options. Im not looking to spend a fortune - but I cant explain how awful my current one is, tie a bag of sugar to the end of a broom handle and you may have an idea lol
I have the Odyssey 7. Just got it for this year. Finally starting to figure it out!

I’ve been playing a couple times a week for the last 2 months. I “lost” my swing, so I took a couple lessons and he totally changed my swing, for the better.. I haven’t posted, because it’s been awful lately, but the pro did tell me, “it’s gonna get worse before it gets better”.. Well today it finally really kicked in and I felt comfortable with the new swing! Here’s hoping for a good year with some good stories and scores!!
Playing again tomoro, so I’m excited to see the progress with the new swing.

Back
Top Bottom