*** OFFICIAL MIAMI DOLPHINS @ CHICAGO BEARS GAME THREAD *** Preseason WK1 | Page 81 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** OFFICIAL MIAMI DOLPHINS @ CHICAGO BEARS GAME THREAD *** Preseason WK1

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion on Fields upside is not the same as yours. Yeah, he's got tools, but I see upside in the guys who promise the ability to dissect a field and a defense, which is what a QB is gonna have to do to be successful in this league longterm.

It used to be conventional-wisdom that the QB's who were used to succeeding by making progressions and reading the field in college as pocket passers were more "pro-ready" than the others. In fact, since the NFL finally shed itself of the outdated notion that it was somehow unprofessional to make the game easier for your QB, the guy who has the easiest chance of early success is the one who can make something out of nothing, who can get cheap gains for little effort by scrambling for 7 yards when they couldn't read the defense, and who are adept at executing some nice plays on one read or limited progressions. It doesn't change that the guy you need long term to advance past a .500 level, wild-card round performance is a QB can stand in the pocket, read the defense, and exploit it week in and week out.

A lot of the top QBs in the league have both. You can develop "dissect a field and a defense." You can't develop running ability, arm strength (you actually can to an extent), size, athleticism, ect....

QB runs is going to almost always fall to LBs for stopping, and Van Noy was god awful stopping quick QBs. I was one of the few who was happy when he departed.

Josh Allen always gives us running fits too. You'd think we would figure it out after we get swacked twice a season.
I don't know where the original post with those three running QB's stats are to respond to, but its worth noting that for the three games posted, we only lost one of those, and even that game is such an oddity because the opponent basically came out and ran the power option all game.

Also worth nothing we won the Cardinals game because Jerome Baker crushed Kyler Murray like the little ***** he is on a 4th down play and he was basically done after that.

There was absolutely excellent football the first 3 to 5 weeks of last year. What were you watching? Can you provide examples?

The problems with no preseason last year had nothing to do with quality of play. We saw more non-contact injuries from starters in the first few weeks who were just ramping up the first time without much of a gradual increase. And late round picks and UDFA's who could have emerged by providing some game film for the entire league to view just didn't get the chance, so we lost a lot from last year's draft class.

The games were awesome.

Maybe I'm only judging by our games, but I thought in just about every game I watched last year the game plans were extra vanilla the first few weeks and technically very unsound.

Our opener against the Patriots was one of the most vanilla regular season games I've watched on both sides for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom