***Official Miami Hurricanes Thread*** | Page 231 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***Official Miami Hurricanes Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
What has Cristobal done? I honestly have no idea if he would be good or bad

Cristobal is another Miami guy who has strong ties to the program and the city. He can recruit here and he just won the Sun Belt with FIU. Young guy. He appears to me to be the same type of hire as Randy Shannon. That's why I'm skeptical of the hire. Richt, well, Richt's body of work speaks for itself.

Cristobal is another Miami guy who has strong ties to the program and the city. He can recruit here and he just won the Sun Belt with FIU. Young guy. He appears to me to be the same type of hire as Randy Shannon. That's why I'm skeptical of the hire. Richt, well, Richt's body of work speaks for itself.
Yea, as far as Richt Im not seeing why we'd hire a guy who mis being run out of GA. Seems like a lateral move at best.

:lol:

clear.gif

Just read on TMB that Shannon wont get a buyout because it was in his contract that he had to win at least 8 games not counting a bowl to receive it. Any truth to this?

Just read on TMB that Shannon wont get a buyout because it was in his contract that he had to win at least 8 games not counting a bowl to receive it. Any truth to this?

There is some truth to that. That extension took forever to negotiate. Miami wanted a favorable buyout and got it but Shannon didn't sign any extension where he'd come away with nothing if he got dumped. He came away with something.

Never a good day when anybody gets fired. I understand the joy, but I wish Randy Shannon and the entire coaching staff better luck in their next coaching landing spot. They ran the program with class, got more kids graduating than ever and had a top 10 academic rating.

With that being said, this is a football school and the mediocrity needs to stop and this decision had to be made. It was too much for Randy and we needed to go in a different direction. When you fire a guy like Randy Shannon, who has done everything right but win the big games . . . you need a big name guy to come in and get instant results. Unlike the Coker situation, we aren't rebuilding . . . the talent is here . . . I mean talented enough to win the ACC next year . . . easily. A guy who can make in game changes, be a difference maker on the sidelines . . . Randy was not that, Randy confided in his coaches and they ultimately let him down and that is his fault . . . he needs to be the man and going into his next coaching endeavor . . . I hope he realizes that. Randy is a solid recruiter and he may not get a head coaching job right away, but I could see him with one eventually . . . and I could see him being successful, just not here. Once again I wish him well.

I like the John Gruden concept . . . an offensive minded head coach would be the way to go. Harbaugh is interesting . . . but he might be a Dolphin lol. Like JCane said, I expect a guy is already in line and we will announce this within a week.

JC I am with you on the Cristobol skepticism. Like RichRod at WVU, he is doing a nice job at a smaller program with less expectations. I am not sure he could handle the Hurricanes any better then Rich has done at Michigan. I am praying that Dave Brandon (Mich AD) does the right thing and fire him but I don't expect a change until 1 Jan, if there is to be one.

As for the money for the U, I can only go by what I hear on your local sports talk radio and local media outlets as well as FH, but I have been led to believe that Shalala is not as concerned with the football program as she is academics. My understanding is that she is trying to erase the image of the 80s and 90s and make her school a leader in education. I assume she has no pictures of the Canes getting off the plane in fatigues to play in the Nat'l Championship game against Penn State :lol:

If Shalala is forced by alumni and boosters to make the big hire, Gruden would be an excellent choice. I don't like the reports of his alienating players at the NFL level and he most likely is better suited for the college level. Again, that is a big jump in the budget, which is quite small.

Off topic but...

I posted it in the General NFL forum but yesterday was 3 years that Sean Taylor passed away. To me, he was my favorite football player. I loved watching him play. RIP Sean Taylor, gone but never forgotten!

Love Randy Shannon as a person, and for what he done here as a player and coordinator, but being a head coach just wasn't for him. I absolutely LOVE the idea of Jon Gruden. The college game would fit him to a T. Not just his coaching style, but his personality. I think he'd be a great recruiter personally.

Don't have a lot of time because I'm on my phone and on the road in Daytona Beach currently. Miami has requested an interview with Jon Gruden and they've also contacted the University of Georgia and requested permission to speak with Mark Richt.

JCane

listening to talk radio this am, they seemed to mock the idea
any "big" name HC would come to Miami(mostly budget reasons)
let alone Gruden.

Now an interesting name came up(sorry can't say what radio station
I heard this name I was in a Home Depot and passed a radio that had
sports talk on) Mike Shula.

JCane could this firing really have been a knee jerk reaction
and not a more surgical approach to bringing Gruden in?

Part of me feels that Kirby wanted Gruden DS didn't however
with such an embarrassement the adm ok'd the move to
bring Gruden in to the fold.

JCane

listening to talk radio this am, they seemed to mock the idea
any "big" name HC would come to Miami(mostly budget reasons)
let alone Gruden.

Now an interesting name came up(sorry can't say what radio station
I heard this name I was in a Home Depot and passed a radio that had
sports talk on) Mike Shula.

JCane could this firing really have been a knee jerk reaction
and not a more surgical approach to bringing Gruden in?

Part of me feels that Kirby wanted Gruden DS didn't however
with such an embarrassement the adm ok'd the move to
bring Gruden in to the fold.
Shula didnt get it done at Bama. They were on probation, so maybe its a little harsh to say he failed, but Bama fans didnt seem to care much for him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom